Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
While it is true there are times adults must wait, my boss at work doesn't limit my right to use the bathroom when needed. No one scorns me for excusing myself from a long meeting to use the restroom, etc.

School is a lot more like work then it is like an airplane taking off.
If you worked in a call center environment, on an assembly line, in retail at a cash register or something like that, your "potty breaks" are very scheduled and you don't just get to excuse yourself to go.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If you worked in a call center environment, on an assembly line, in retail at a cash register or something like that, your "potty breaks" are very scheduled and you don't just get to excuse yourself to go.
If I was at the point of whizzing myself or going to the bathroom, I could go to the bathroom. If they disciplined me for it, I'd have a heck of a lawsuit. If I made a habit out of it, the supervisor would have a discussion with me, not issue a "no bathroom" policy or hand out "potty vouchers".

Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
Quote:

LEGALLY no employer can say you cant use the restroom. Ive worked at 4 different call centers and have never been disciplined for using the restroom.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
LEGALLY no employer can say you cant use the restroom. Ive worked at 4 different call centers and have never been disciplined for using the restroom.
Not letting you is a far cry from you having to use the restroom on your scheduled break....just like kids have to do in school, you use the restroom after recess.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
Quote:
Not letting you is a far cry from you having to use the restroom on your scheduled break....just like kids have to do in school, you use the restroom after recess.

But if you needed to go outside of your break times they cant say no you cant go. (which is what I think you meant from your previous post pardon me if im wrong) It will put you out of adherence (for call centers) but as long as you adhere to your schedule for the most part this wont be a problem.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,645 times
Quote:
This.

I worked for a major delivery company years ago. The loaders (52' long trailers) averaged around 300 pph. Packages per hour- and this was a starting number. 4-5 hours with a 10 minute break. Hard, hard, work.
If they needed to go to the restroom, it meant finding another person to load their truck and this would happen. If it happened repeatedly, a supervisor would talk to them.

Usually, the ones that had to 'go' like this, weren't there very long.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
really, we're comparing work with fifth graders? Its obviously a problem in this classroom. If the cashiers at my supermarket routinely left their cash registers to go to the restroom in the middle of ringing up a customer's order, and then the cashier next to them said, "oh, me too", and also went, DAY AFTER DAY, I highly doubt they would keep their employment.

NJGoat, if you had daily meetings, and excused yourself DAILY while your boss was informing you of your day's duties, along with 4 other coworkers doing the same... he would be ok with that?? I think not.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
and no child is going to be able to not use the bathroom from 7:30 am to 3 pm.
Where does it say that the children cannot use the bathroom at all during those hours? Lunch, recess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
really, we're comparing work with fifth graders? Its obviously a problem in this classroom. If the cashiers at my supermarket routinely left their cash registers to go to the restroom in the middle of ringing up a customer's order, and then the cashier next to them said, "oh, me too", and also went, DAY AFTER DAY, I highly doubt they would keep their employment.

NJGoat, if you had daily meetings, and excused yourself DAILY while your boss was informing you of your day's duties, along with 4 other coworkers doing the same... he would be ok with that?? I think not.
YEP!!! If your boss is giving you a presentation on brand new items in office policy that you absolutely needed to know to perform your job, then s/he would absolutely be angry if you left at an inappropriate time. I'd assume that you'd go before the meeting just in case, or during your scheduled break.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Teachers can sometimes be overly suspicious. For example, your period 5 teacher might assume you probably got to go in period 4, when really your period 4 teacher assumed you went in period 3, etc.

Honestly I think this sheds light on a bigger issue. If students are pretending to go to the bathroom every class period, maybe we should reevaluate our education system.
The article is about 5th graders. They typically have one teacher for the majority of the day and have scheduled breaks on the way to and from their other classes aka "specials".

Fifth graders frequently make bad decisions, giving them a positive reinforcement for choosing to stay in class, and no negative effects is the PERFECT solution.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
i find it funny that there is no second thought about allotting time slots for children to go to the bathroom. if this was in regards to adults, say a company policy for employees, people would be screaming about human rights violations. the only adults that get treated like that are prisoners. don't you think it's a bit absurd to treat kids like prisoners when they haven't done anything wrong? since when has needing the restroom, or even possibly faking it sometimes out of boredom, been such a crime? children and teens are human beings too, who deserve the same basic rights as adults.
LOL!

Teachers also have to use scheduled breaks. As do many people in certain jobs. Surgeons, factory workers, pilots and captains, etc.

And I cannot state enough that you appeared to not read the article, there was no negative punishment here. If the need to go more often then they go, but the kids who only use the scheduled breaks get a positive reinforcement.

What is wrong with that? Positive reinforcement for desired behavior, ignoring negative. It is a very good solution for their problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.