Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times

Advertisements

I ran to the market on my lunch break to grab some oranges and I was walking down 1 aisle and a young lady was blocking the entire aisle with her cart, as I approached and got closer to her, her son notified her that I was behind them.

"He said mommy someone is coming"

The "mother" looked back at me a said "so what".....as in "so what if he's behind us" and of course, she said it with attitude.

What I did notice was her son's reaction to her response. He looked at her and than looked at me in a way in which he KNEW she was being rude and her response was inappropriate. He had to be about 7 or 8 years old.

This is a great example of bad parenting and NOT leading by example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 AM

869 posts, read 1,493,770 times
Thats just awful. But I say that often, some people really dont see anything wrong with their behavior or honestly think that a small child can differentiate between appropriate behavior from not appropriate.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:31 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Everyone can have a bad day sometimes. The fact that the son knew better says that the mom has probably taken the time to teach him better manners and is just having a bad day.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:33 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Everyone can have a bad day sometimes. The fact that the son knew better says that the mom has probably taken the time to teach him better manners and is just having a bad day.
That would be my take. If the kid knew his mom was wrong, then that means she did something right at some point. Can't people have bad days without incurring the wrath of broad generalizations of their character?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
For all of those making excuses up, I hardly think it had to do with having a "bad day". I really doubt that.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I ran to the market on my lunch break to grab some oranges and I was walking down 1 aisle and a young lady was blocking the entire aisle with her cart, as I approached and got closer to her, her son notified her that I was behind them.
What were YOU doing?

Don't suppose you said, "Excuse me, I just need to scoot by. Thanks!" Or were you in a hurry and expecting her to get out of your way?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:47 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That would be my take. If the kid knew his mom was wrong, then that means she did something right at some point. Can't people have bad days without incurring the wrath of broad generalizations of their character?
Or someone did, at any rate.

Re: the bolded: What fun would that be? It's so much more satisfying to judge people's entire lives based on one small interaction. (sarcasm)

Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Gather the torches and pitchforks!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Does having a bad day prompt people to be rude? I certainly would not use this example as some world's worst parent moment. But do people really act rudely just because they are having a bad day?

Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
I agree that she could have been having a bad day. Did you happen to glance and see what was in her cart? Was there Tylenol? Maybe she had a headache. Tampons? I don't think I need to explain that.

Did little Johnny just get in trouble at school again and she was mad at him? Was she just told that her mother is in the hospital and now on top of worrying about that, she is also worried about taking care of her dad and now she is doing some grocery shopping to make him some meals? Is she going through a divorce and is really upset and lashing out at the world? Did she just lose her job and is trying to figure out how she is going to afford that can of peas in her hand?

Do you know what is going on in this woman's life?

I get it. She was rude. There really is no excuse. Everyone does things that the regret. If her son knew she was being rude, that tells me that someone is teaching him the right things.

I hate being around rude people, but when it happens I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting