U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,239,684 times

Advertisements

I am 43 and consider myself not old enough to be without my children for 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 AM

678 posts, read 1,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Thank you all so much for your kind responses. You have given me lots to think about and consider. He seems hesitant to go but then again, so did my older children but then when they came back they raved about their new adventures! Granted, they never went away for 2 weeks! AND their camps were always either church sponsored or boy scouts AND they already knew the people going. This one, will be all brand new people. So, we are going to a pre-camp mixer next month to check it out and I will ask more questions about it from other campers' parents, etc. My son is really a homebody who doesn't like to be outside, but him being in scouts, he will HAVE to get used to be outdoors and camping, roughing it, etc. He does go camping with my DH and his older brother but complains about the heat, etc. My older son teases him about it and tells him he'll just have to get used to it
Oh, I'm not getting a good feeling about this. Why can't he attend church camp like his brothers? He'll know other kids and the counselors are already involved with him at church.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,308,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
Oh, I'm not getting a good feeling about this. Why can't he attend church camp like his brothers? He'll know other kids and the counselors are already involved with him at church.
He's not old enough for church camp yet. His older brother is in scouts, they start going "away" when they are 12. His older brother went to Twilight camp (day camp-cub scouts) at the age of 8-10, and this younger one did too, last year and as this one gets older he will attend church camp with the scouts too.

We just thought he'd like to try something different and this sounds like a very nice place to go. If he doesn't go to this camp, and only attends Twilight camp again this year, then his older brother will go away for 3 weeks to a gifted program camp and this ONE will be moping around for two weeks b/c his big bro is not there to entertain him. Hence the idea to send him off for two of the 3 weeks and have him mope for only one
We're still pondering this decision

Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 PM

121 posts, read 369,940 times
What about sexual abuse? Or kids experimenting?
That would be my biggest fear.

Don't they have day camps? Where you pick then up at the end of the day?

Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 AM

5,952 posts, read 6,385,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I am going to pose this question to you parents out there.
I have a nine year old son, who will be 10 this summer.
There is an opportunity for him to attend a two week summer camp at
a very nice camp about 3.5 hours away from us.
My question is, is 10 years old too young for him to be away for such
a long time with total strangers?
He is the youngest in our family and extremely close to his big brother
who is 14. I am concerned that he will become homesick and they'll call us to come get him (we've been assured by the camp directors this won't happen, but still).
Also, as a mom, I am concerned (panicky, paranoid??) about him being abused while away being that he is so young? ( I know this can happen anywhere, but STILL)

At what age did you send your child away to summer camp like this one?
What was their experience?
BTW, it's called camp Hwuani in East Texas. Any experiences with this particular camp?
Thanks,
Whatever is the lowest age the camp allows is when ever they are "old" enough.
10 years old is pretty old in my mind, most 10 year olds should be able to handle it.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoxy View Post

Are you serious?
Pedobear does not attend all the camps in one summer.
And kids experimenting? That can happen ANYWHERE, even during a day camp.
So I guess we all should lock our kids up with forever running footage of Nancy Grace telling them about everything that is a raging epidemic that is going on right this very minute that they need to FEEEAAARRRR.

According to her sexting is an epidemic right now, lets go smash childrens cell phones!!!!

Old 01-28-2012, 02:49 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,758,561 times
Quote:

Because picking them up at the end of the day wards off sexual activity? Abuse and experimentation can happen anywhere at any time. Camp, church, school, pool, etc...
Guess you don't let your kids go anywhere, eh?

Old 01-28-2012, 03:56 PM

121 posts, read 369,940 times
Pedobear? Eh?
If you are questioning how I watch my kids based on a question, I'll let you know.
I let my children play outside a lot and go to friends houses without having to schedule play dates. I know the parents and make sure they are on the same page as far as not letting kids have the bedroom door closed while playing.
I talk openly with my kids about abuse and what some children do and what to do if the situation presents itself and just to be aware.

The risk of sexual abuse and peer to peer experimenting is higher at night time.

There are programs that have been featured on major network news and taught in schools around the country. (http://http://www.childluresprevention.com/parents/index.asp - broken link)

I wasn't judging when I asked the question above. It was a valid concern that makes me hesitant and was wondering if anyone else feels the same or how camps prevent that kind of behavior.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 PM

672 posts, read 1,738,995 times
The summer camp I went to had campers as young as 6. The sessions were 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks. I don't remember a 6 year old staying for the whole 8 weeks unless her mother was a counselor (it was an all girls camp). I second the RN's horror of dropping a 6 year old at a camp for 8 weeks with strangers. So sad.

Ten is definitely old enough for 2 weeks. I went when I was 11 and it was the first time I was away from home so I got home sick - crying etc The camp director of course called my parents about it and all the adults agreed that it would be better for me to stay. As the end of my 2 weeks of summer camp came, I packed up, mom came to get me and ... I cried because I didn't want to leave. Hahaha, I love summer camp. The next summer I stayed 4 weeks and after that, it was 8 week summers camp stays, became a CIT, a WIT and then a full-fledged counselor for a few years.

All I can say is if he gets home sick at camp, let it run its course. The first time some people are away from home is college and get home sick (my mother for example). Better to get it out now, rather than later.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Pedobear? Eh?
If you are questioning how I watch my kids based on a question, I'll let you know.
I let my children play outside a lot and go to friends houses without having to schedule play dates. I know the parents and make sure they are on the same page as far as not letting kids have the bedroom door closed while playing.
I talk openly with my kids about abuse and what some children do and what to do if the situation presents itself and just to be aware.

The risk of sexual abuse and peer to peer experimenting is higher at night time.

There are programs that have been featured on major network news and taught in schools around the country. (http://http://www.childluresprevention.com/parents/index.asp - broken link)

I wasn't judging when I asked the question above. It was a valid concern that makes me hesitant and was wondering if anyone else feels the same or how camps prevent that kind of behavior.
It's ok, you're just one of those awareness people.
Now that abuse and experimenting is more openly talked about and people are more aware it happens/ did happen it MUST be happening now more than ever.

It's called Nancy grace syndrome, everything is a serious epidemic to that woman, a child goes missing and its sound the alarms, hide your children they are at risk EVERYWHERE, a case of sexual abuse happens and don't let your kids out of your sight or IT WILL HAPPEN.

Something happens and she furiously shakes her bobbed blonde head all over the TV making people think that you could swing a dead cat and hit a pedofile, you know they're in your back yard, in your basement they are everywhere. I think she is largely to blame for how paranoid people are.

It doesn't happen any more than it did when you all were kids, its just more reported and rabidly spit to the masses by CNN's devil spawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting