U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:31 PM

2,259 posts, read 2,397,263 times

Advertisements

It is amazing how we all survived childhood with all these evil people everywhere.

I went to summer camp every summer forever, for 6 weeks, so did my husband. I learned to shave my legs, put on eye shadow, and when I was 14 I slow danced with some poor boy at the end of summer dance, it was all very scandalous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:45 PM

2,020 posts, read 2,673,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am 43 and consider myself not old enough to be without my children for 2 weeks.
So you would deprive them of going to camp if they wanted to?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:12 PM

5,515 posts, read 3,346,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
It is amazing how we all survived childhood with all these evil people everywhere.

I went to summer camp every summer forever, for 6 weeks, so did my husband. I learned to shave my legs, put on eye shadow, and when I was 14 I slow danced with some poor boy at the end of summer dance, it was all very scandalous.
OHEMGEEZUS tabloid material right there!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 PM

121 posts, read 192,820 times

Originally posted by txtqueen: It's ok, you're just one of those awareness people.
Now that abuse and experimenting is more openly talked about and people are more aware it happens/ did happen it MUST be happening now more than ever.

It doesn't happen any more than it did when you all were kids, its just more reported and rabidly spit to the masses by CNN's devil spawn.

Actually I'm not a paranoid person and don't get swayed by the media or Nancy Grace (I think she's nuts)

I've had discussions with my friends about this too. Is abuse happening more now or are we just more aware and medua is making every incident public and not as silent as before? (years ago, parents swept it under the rug, and kids didn't tell cause they were embarrassed)
I actually think it still happens as much as it did 30 years ago. The truth is, these things are life changing and effects children the rest of their lives. I guess I just know too many people it happened to when they were young and know how it's sculpted their life.

I'm not paranoid. I just like my kids to sleep at home in their own bed. I don't like sleep overs. We will do late nights, ie. 9/10 to watch a movie with friends (I'm not talking about teens, I'm not there yet)

Does anyone else feel reluctant To send their kids over night to a camp with adults and children you don't know?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:13 AM

1,902 posts, read 4,528,638 times
Thanks again for all your respones! I value everyone's opinion
Especially to the posters who relate to being away at camp for 2 weeks and they loved it! I'm sure my kid will be the same way! Looking back I always wanted to go away to camp, but we were too poor that we could never afford to I always watched movies and it seemed like so much fun. I talked to some friends and they've sent their kids to camp with no problem. We'll be meeting the camp counselors and some return campers next week so he'll start to get acclimated to them. He's getting excited now

Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 376 times
Sent my son to space camp in huntsville alabama at age 10 in 2010..turns out the worst mistake I have made as a parent. 2 years later he is still struggling with the trash his "roommates" talked about late at night.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 AM

8,904 posts, read 5,126,409 times
My answer would depend on the quality of the camp itself. My daughters go to the same camp in Texas that I and even my mother went to (been around since the 1930s) My older one started at age 10 and my younger one started at age 8. At that time we were living in Virginia, so it was 1,000 miles away, but their cousins and grandparents were closer--just 300 miles away.

It is a 4-week camp for girls and they both loved it from the start. Even now living in Europe I send my youngest to the camp every summer and she will continue until the summer before senior year in HS when she ages out.

My older one still goes back as a counselor every year.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 PM

7,689 posts, read 9,078,109 times
I'm a manager of a weeklong church camp and we take campers from ages 8-18. We get some 8 yo but not many b/c many of them are not ready to be away from home that long and if they do come they usually have some homesickness for the first couple of nights. I have not had to send any of them home though. When I was growing up I went to scout camp for 2 weeks but the lowest age for that was 11 and I don't think any of them went home either. However I've had to send some older kids home b/c they simply couldn't stand it anymore, and in each of those cases, it turned out that they'd been very ambivalent about coming, so I'd say that ambivalence is a better indicator than age on whether they're ready to be away from home for that long. It sounds to me like it would not be a good idea to send your son to a 2 week camp from what you've said, and if you can find one that goes for no more than a week you'll have more likelihood of success.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 AM

5,515 posts, read 3,346,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww72 View Post
Sent my son to space camp in huntsville alabama at age 10 in 2010..turns out the worst mistake I have made as a parent. 2 years later he is still struggling with the trash his "roommates" talked about late at night.
At 10 what could they have talked about that was so horrible. I mean, I know boys talk about stuff but for your son to be so scarred by it is a little extreme.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:51 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,537,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
At 10 what could they have talked about that was so horrible. I mean, I know boys talk about stuff but for your son to be so scarred by it is a little extreme.
They talked about girls ewwwww and things you can do with them, double ewwwwww. Maybe they talked about masturbation? Masturbation makes you go blind and grows hair on your palms so everyone knows you do it. Seriously, I would like to know what was so traumatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting