U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 PM

3,287 posts, read 4,938,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
While I have never been to Indonesia I have travelled a great deal. One thing I have learned is that parents everywhere on the planet are the same in wanting their children to be safe and well.

My guess is the parents of these children will be VERY happy the day a new bridge is built.
I, too, have traveled a great deal and I agree completely with you. And until the new bridge is built, they'll all soldier on the best they can, just like parents everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
And until the new bridge is built, they'll all soldier on the best they can, just like parents everywhere.
And I agree with you on that. (Sorry, I hadn't grasped the "soldiering on" concept in your other posts. But that is very true.)

Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,265,344 times
I think we are all missing the real lesson here.

The real lesson is . . . these kids thought nothing of putting themselves in peril in order to get to school - because that is how badly they want an education.

Here, we can't seem to get an average (in our 50 largest cities) of more than 55 % of kids to stay in school long enough to even graduate.

So the question we should be asking is . . . why do those kids in Indonesia value an education so much they would undertake this perilous trek while a big chunk of kids in the USA don't even care enough to stay in school and graduate . . .

If that many parents don't even bother to see their kids get educated, I don't think that means we are being too overprotective, lol.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I'm just saying that those people love their children just as much as we love ours and I trust that they made the best decision they could based on the known factors. Children all over the world face dangers everyday. Insects, wildlife, drought, flooding, monsoons etc. They and their parents have learned to live with the conditions in their neck of the woods. I seriously doubt that those Indonesians are as horrified by the situation as the Western media is. And please note that the article said all the children made it safely across. Will they all tomorrow? Who knows? Are you certain your child will still be here tomorrow? I'm not trying to justify anything, just saying that lots of people live with dangers everyday that we wouldn't dream of. I saw little kids crossing four lanes of traffic in Mexico to get to school. I saw kids in Africa whose shambas (homes) were not insect, poisonous snake or leopard proof. Yet most survived just fine.

Also, the wildlife and crocodiles (if they exist there) are there every day, not just when the river is flooding. It's something they all live with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I read this wonderful article once on a theory about mothers and worry. It talked about the relationship between the decrease in child morbidity, especially childhood diseases likes smallpox and polio and the increase in parent protectiveness. The theory outlined the idea that mothers in particular are wired to worry about their children, in most cases in the history of the world that worry has been famine, disease, war, but in the absence of those things the worry needs someplace to go so it becomes stranger danger, head injuries, car safety. One wonders what these mothers have to worry about that makes the bridge not so scary to them.

Of course it terrifies the beejeezus out of me
Very interesting to contemplate. In the past, driving from California to Rosarita, Mexico, I saw small children walking alongside what is essentially a busy freeway to and from school. Mere feet from cars going 60+ mph. It always scared me and I wondered why they had no safer way to get there.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think we are all missing the real lesson here.

The real lesson is . . . these kids thought nothing of putting themselves in peril in order to get to school - because that is how badly they want an education.

Here, we can't seem to get an average (in our 50 largest cities) of more than 55 % of kids to stay in school long enough to even graduate.

So the question we should be asking is . . . why do those kids in Indonesia value an education so much they would undertake this perilous trek while a big chunk of kids in the USA don't even care enough to stay in school and graduate . . .

If that many parents don't even bother to see their kids get educated, I don't think that means we are being too overprotective, lol.
The reason why those kids value an education that much, is because education is more valueable there than it is here. It doesn't take any education at all to pick coffee beans for 10-14 hours every day, or work fields, or stand at conveyor belts moving items from belt to box at high speeds, to afford your supper - but not anything else.

If you want something better out of your life than a few decades of backbreaking work followed by a long, painful death, then you need to be educated. The people of Indonesia know this, because they live it.

In the States, children are brought up knowing that someone...somewhere..will take care of their every need, and that care will be at -least- moderately good in quality. Kids don't NEED to be educated in order to thrive in the USA. Sometimes even a high school diploma isn't necessary; they just take tests to pass a GED and they can get work slinging hash in a diner 6 hours daily and 5 days a week, for more than Indonesians earn picking beans in Java 14 hours daily 7 days a week.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:26 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
American kids, it would be too dangerous because most of them are overwieght, don't do enough phsical activity. They would hurt themselves. Indonesian kids, can probably scamper over that bridge with no problems. One thing, it pretty much makes going to school there for the motivated, healthy, agile kids...resources on those that will suceed. Rather than our current model of education, resources on the ones who are not healthy, not motivated. Something to think about why these countries are ahead of us in education.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:33 AM

3,287 posts, read 4,938,689 times
From the looks of that bridge, it was pretty rickety and dangerous BEFORE the collapse. And those kids were crossing it every day. They learned to navigate it from an early age, so it probably is not really that big of a deal for them. It's a minor inconvenience. Everything is relative.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,708,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I saw this photoblog and realized I don't think we would ever see something like this in the US. Too many people would be sued if something like this was allowed. PhotoBlog - Indonesian children make perilous journey to school over collapsed bridge

My question about this is do you think we (as Americans) are too overprotective, are they too relaxed about these things, or do you think that there is somewhere in between that both sides could aspire to?
My answer is neither. What this shows is that they value education so much they will risk bodily harm to get one.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:55 AM

51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times
I like the two boys who climb up to the higher level so they can bypass the slower kids in front of them.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 AM

3,844 posts, read 5,105,836 times
$500,000,000 plus in foreign aid from Australia alone per year, and they can't rebuild this bridge? Just like in many poor countries, it is the government who is to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or