U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:35 PM

500 posts, read 582,028 times

Advertisements

I am guessing that some of those kids actually think it is fun to cross that bridge. I think I would have had a good time doing it when I was a kid. We did crazy things sometimes when we were young. Now as an adult I might even do it--though I would be more wary about wildlife. The video on the page makes it look like the water is rather calm and the bridge isn't that high, so I could handle swimming. But crocodiles or poisonous snakes would make me rethink that idea and I would be highly unlikely to send my kids if creatures were lurking!

In the U.S. I have seen a lot of kids in the U.S. try to cross rivers and creeks on rocks. This has some of the same potential perils, and in the large scope of things this is a smaller danger compared to what too many children in the world face--warfare, child prostitution, hunger, inadequate supply of safe water, filthy living conditions (have you seen the photos of children living on top of dumps). We are often spoiled in western cultures and don't realize how dangerous the world is for a lot of children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM

9,325 posts, read 5,666,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
While I don't know all the details, I would venture this:
The river does not appear to be raging.
I'm betting the children know how to swim.
And presumably, adults are keeping watch from the shore and are ready to help should one fall.

Of course it's dangerous but not immediately and irrevocably life threatening. Kids are agile and strong and there appear to be plenty of places to hang on and place their feet. They are better equipped than most adults to do this. I'm just saying that it's not the horror that a lot of Western minds might think it is.
I agree about the river not being raging but I would bet cash money that all of the girls and many of the boys do not know how to swim at all.

I lived in SE Asia for many year, most of the children are not taught to swim and are actively discouraged from swimming, especially the girls. Generally, Indonesia is even more conservative about that stuff.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM

2,650 posts, read 2,747,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
I am guessing that some of those kids actually think it is fun to cross that bridge. I think I would have had a good time doing it when I was a kid. We did crazy things sometimes when we were young. Now as an adult I might even do it--though I would be more wary about wildlife. The video on the page makes it look like the water is rather calm and the bridge isn't that high, so I could handle swimming. But crocodiles or poisonous snakes would make me rethink that idea and I would be highly unlikely to send my kids if creatures were lurking!

In the U.S. I have seen a lot of kids in the U.S. try to cross rivers and creeks on rocks. This has some of the same potential perils, and in the large scope of things this is a smaller danger compared to what too many children in the world face--warfare, child prostitution, hunger, inadequate supply of safe water, filthy living conditions (have you seen the photos of children living on top of dumps). We are often spoiled in western cultures and don't realize how dangerous the world is for a lot of children.
I agree. There are a lot of lofty reasons given here for the kids to risk their lives for an education, but I'm guessing that it's just business as usual for them, with a twist. I bet they love the challenge. And like I said earlier, the snakes and the crocs are always there, not just now. It's just something they live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I agree about the river not being raging but I would bet cash money that all of the girls and many of the boys do not know how to swim at all.

I lived in SE Asia for many year, most of the children are not taught to swim and are actively discouraged from swimming, especially the girls. Generally, Indonesia is even more conservative about that stuff.
Perhaps they don't know how to swim, but I maintain that the parents made an informed decision to allow their kids to cross based on their knowledge and experience.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM

941 posts, read 835,112 times
It's all relative. If they have crossed the bridge for years, a broken bridge is the same thing, just a little more challenging.

A lot of people think Americans are insane for letting 14-15 year olds drive. In many countries the driving age is 18. I've also seen plenty of elementary aged children using guns while hunting with adults. To some people that is unthinkable, to some people it is a completely normal way of life.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 PM

2,020 posts, read 2,664,425 times
I don't get the question. The OP is asking if "they" are too relaxed, the "they" presumably being the parents? The story says:

Quote:
Faced with an extra 30 minutes' walk to cross via an alternate bridge, Sofiah and her friends have chosen to undertake the precarious crossing of the collapsed bridge instead.
People are acting as if the parents made them do this or encouraged them. I see nothing of the kind there or in the video that accompanied the story. The kids decided to cross this way.

If I was their parent I would see to it that they took a safe route and used the bridge even though it lengthened their commute but I don't see where this story/picture blog has anything to do with anyone being too relaxed as a parent. If there was some type of quote from a parent that said, "Well, Sofiah is a stubborn one and chooses to cross this way" I might be surprised that this would be allowed but no one has any idea what the parents of these kids think of this.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:45 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,331,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I don't get the question. The OP is asking if "they" are too relaxed, the "they" presumably being the parents? The story says:

People are acting as if the parents made them do this or encouraged them. I see nothing of the kind there or in the video that accompanied the story. The kids decided to cross this way.

If I was their parent I would see to it that they took a safe route and used the bridge even though it lengthened their commute but I don't see where this story/picture blog has anything to do with anyone being too relaxed as a parent. If there was some type of quote from a parent that said, "Well, Sofiah is a stubborn one and chooses to cross this way" I might be surprised that this would be allowed but no one has any idea what the parents of these kids think of this.
In the video, you can see women crossing with some of the kids. I am assuming that these are some of the mothers. Of course this is a huge assumption on my part, but they seem like mothers to me.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:56 PM

2,650 posts, read 2,747,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post

I think it's safe to assume that the entire village used the bridge and that everyone in the village was aware of the conditions. There were adults on the bridge in some of the pictures. I seriously doubt that just the kids knew about it and crossed without the knowledge of their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting