Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times

Advertisements

I saw this photoblog and realized I don't think we would ever see something like this in the US. Too many people would be sued if something like this was allowed. PhotoBlog - Indonesian children make perilous journey to school over collapsed bridge

My question about this is do you think we (as Americans) are too overprotective, are they too relaxed about these things, or do you think that there is somewhere in between that both sides could aspire to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I saw this photoblog and realized I don't think we would ever see something like this in the US. Too many people would be sued if something like this was allowed. PhotoBlog - Indonesian children make perilous journey to school over collapsed bridge

My question about this is do you think we (as Americans) are too overprotective, are they too relaxed about these things, or do you think that there is somewhere in between that both sides could aspire to?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM

677 posts, read 1,538,034 times
I don't believe they are too relaxed, I don't believe they have another option do they??

Would I let my 6 and 7 year olds on that bridge? If that was the only chance for an education, yes, and I would be right there with them.

I hope a humanatarian group does something about this.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Quote:

So much of what we do for public safety is to prevent lawsuits. We are a litigious and blaming society. Personal responsibility takes a back seat to getting compensation. Although that crossing may be somewhat dangerous to the children, it appears to me that they are strong and confident enough to do the crossing. Children love a challenge and yes, a little danger. I too would let my children do it if necessary. You can't protect them from everything. I do think we are over protective and that a better balance would be a good thing.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
Quote:

I think its different for various cultures. They may feel an education is more important than their life. But no I would never allow my child to do that. Even if I was with them as another poster said. My childs life is waaaaaay more important than an education IMHO. I would rather have an alive dumb kid than a smart dead one if you get what I mean.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Could you pick a more extreme example?

Overprotective equals not letting your kid climb on the monkey bars because they might fall and hurt themselves. It does not equal not letting your kid scramble across a broken bridge over a raging river.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,515 times
From the short description, it sounds like their parents didn't know they were doing this. They had another bridge to cross but it would have added 30 mins. to their walk to school so they opted to cross the broken bridge.

Would I let my child do this? No, but might my 13yo son take it upon himself to take a more dangerous route rather than a safer but longer one? Yeah he probably would. Would my 18yo daughter? She might. My 6 or 4yo? Not sure.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Could you pick a more extreme example?

Overprotective equals not letting your kid climb on the monkey bars because they might fall and hurt themselves. It does not equal not letting your kid scramble across a broken bridge over a raging river.
While I don't know all the details, I would venture this:
The river does not appear to be raging.
I'm betting the children know how to swim.
And presumably, adults are keeping watch from the shore and are ready to help should one fall.

Of course it's dangerous but not immediately and irrevocably life threatening. Kids are agile and strong and there appear to be plenty of places to hang on and place their feet. They are better equipped than most adults to do this. I'm just saying that it's not the horror that a lot of Western minds might think it is.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I agree, it isn't about being over or under protective, it is about having choices and the resources to deal with something like this. Here we are spoiled because something like that would never happen here...but we are a very wealthy country and most people probably spend more money on Starbucks each year than people in that village make for an entire year. I am sure their parents view it as the only way their situation will improve, educate their children in hopes that their children will be able to prosper and take care of them. If we were in that situation, I am sure we would all send our kids over that bridge.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:51 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
While I don't know all the details, I would venture this:
The river does not appear to be raging.
I'm betting the children know how to swim.
And presumably, adults are keeping watch from the shore and are ready to help should one fall.

Of course it's dangerous but not immediately and irrevocably life threatening. Kids are agile and strong and there appear to be plenty of places to hang on and place their feet. They are better equipped than most adults to do this. I'm just saying that it's not the horror that a lot of Western minds might think it is.

You could tell if it was raging or not from a picture? Or did you see a video. From the pics I saw there were some waves which I would presume there was some sort of raging going on to the point of this bridge would break completely because it OBVIOUSLY isnt stable and all these kids were all to fall in the water some would be swept under. How many parents are watching im sure not enough to jump in and save all the children. What if there is wildlife in this river? Is it worth risking your childs life to save them 30 minutes in walking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting