Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I'm betting the children know how to swim.

Of course it's dangerous but not immediately and irrevocably life threatening.
Doesn't matter if they know how to swim or not. They're wearing book bags and the weight would pull them right to the bottom of the river.

Let's see what else.... broken neck, tetanus, crocodiles..... but yeah. Not irrevocably life threatening.

You send your kids first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
I read this wonderful article once on a theory about mothers and worry. It talked about the relationship between the decrease in child morbidity, especially childhood diseases likes smallpox and polio and the increase in parent protectiveness. The theory outlined the idea that mothers in particular are wired to worry about their children, in most cases in the history of the world that worry has been famine, disease, war, but in the absence of those things the worry needs someplace to go so it becomes stranger danger, head injuries, car safety. One wonders what these mothers have to worry about that makes the bridge not so scary to them.

Of course it terrifies the beejeezus out of me

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
You could tell if it was raging or not from a picture? Or did you see a video. From the pics I saw there were some waves which I would presume there was some sort of raging going on to the point of this bridge would break completely because it OBVIOUSLY isnt stable and all these kids were all to fall in the water some would be swept under. How many parents are watching im sure not enough to jump in and save all the children. What if there is wildlife in this river? Is it worth risking your childs life to save them 30 minutes in walking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Doesn't matter if they know how to swim or not. They're wearing book bags and the weight would pull them right to the bottom of the river.

Let's see what else.... broken neck, tetanus, crocodiles..... but yeah. Not irrevocably life threatening.

You send your kids first.
I'm just saying that those people love their children just as much as we love ours and I trust that they made the best decision they could based on the known factors. Children all over the world face dangers everyday. Insects, wildlife, drought, flooding, monsoons etc. They and their parents have learned to live with the conditions in their neck of the woods. I seriously doubt that those Indonesians are as horrified by the situation as the Western media is. And please note that the article said all the children made it safely across. Will they all tomorrow? Who knows? Are you certain your child will still be here tomorrow? I'm not trying to justify anything, just saying that lots of people live with dangers everyday that we wouldn't dream of. I saw little kids crossing four lanes of traffic in Mexico to get to school. I saw kids in Africa whose shambas (homes) were not insect, poisonous snake or leopard proof. Yet most survived just fine.

Also, the wildlife and crocodiles (if they exist there) are there every day, not just when the river is flooding. It's something they all live with.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:37 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I read this wonderful article once on a theory about mothers and worry. It talked about the relationship between the decrease in child morbidity, especially childhood diseases likes smallpox and polio and the increase in parent protectiveness. The theory outlined the idea that mothers in particular are wired to worry about their children, in most cases in the history of the world that worry has been famine, disease, war, but in the absence of those things the worry needs someplace to go so it becomes stranger danger, head injuries, car safety. One wonders what these mothers have to worry about that makes the bridge not so scary to them.

Of course it terrifies the beejeezus out of me
This is a very interesting perspective. Evolution-wise, it makes a ton of sense to me.

Excellent point re: wondering what these mothers are worried about that makes the bridge seem less frightening.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
Quote:
I'm just saying that those people love their children just as much as we love ours and I trust that they made the best decision they could based on the known factors. Children all over the world face dangers everyday. Insects, wildlife, drought, flooding, monsoons etc. They and their parents have learned to live with the conditions in their neck of the woods. I seriously doubt that those Indonesians are as horrified by the situation as the Western media is. And please note that the article said all the children made it safely across. Will they all tomorrow? Who knows? Are you certain your child will still be here tomorrow? I'm not trying to justify anything, just saying that lots of people live with dangers everyday that we wouldn't dream of. I saw little kids crossing four lanes of traffic in Mexico to get to school. I saw kids in Africa whose shambas (homes) were not insect, poisonous snake or leopard proof. Yet most survived just fine.

Also, the wildlife and crocodiles (if they exist there) are there every day, not just when the river is flooding. It's something they all live with.

Ok there are dangers. Why would you put yourself OR your child in danger just to save 30 minutes????? Makes no sense.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Ok there are dangers. Why would you put yourself OR your child in danger just to save 30 minutes????? Makes no sense.
Apparently it made sense to them and that's what matters. The parents of these children allowed them to make the crossing based on their own knowledge of the situation. Maybe that 30 minute detour had dangers of its own. Maybe that 30 minutes saved each way was important for some reason. We don't know, but they do and that's the decision they made as the parents. I, for one, would not presume to second guess them.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
Quote:
Apparently it made sense to them and that's what matters. The parents of these children allowed them to make the crossing based on their own knowledge of the situation. Maybe that 30 minute detour had dangers of its own. Maybe that 30 minutes saved each way was important for some reason. We don't know, but they do and that's the decision they made as the parents. I, for one, would not presume to second guess them.

Well I disagree. Those children could have been killed and for what? An education? not worth it IMO. And by the way you are presuming alot.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Keep in mind these children are WALKING to school...

Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Well I disagree. Those children could have been killed and for what? An education? not worth it IMO. And by the way you are presuming alot.
What am I presuming? It seems to me that you think you are the better parent because you wouldn't have allowed your children to do what those kids did. You are only seeing black and white, when it has a lot of grays. You don't know the circumstances, the culture, the land or the values of those people. If I presume a lot because I trust them to decide what is best for their own children based on their knowledge of the situation, then so be it. I would hope that they would give me the same respect.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
You don't know the circumstances, the culture, the land or the values of those people.
While I have never been to Indonesia I have travelled a great deal. One thing I have learned is that parents everywhere on the planet are the same in wanting their children to be safe and well.

My guess is the parents of these children will be VERY happy the day a new bridge is built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting