Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:56 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If the scientologists are right, my oldest learned it when she was being born.
Oh man, that is the funniest thing I've read...as you are so absolutely correct!! hahahaha

Kids repeat what they've heard in the context they've heard it, whether or not they know what it means. So if they constantly hear the f word, they will repeat that. Yet if they constantly here someone saying fudge instead, that's what they will repeat.

I don't have a problem when they are simply repeating it without understanding. I will tell them that certain words are adult words that they can choose to use when they are adults. I don't make a big deal of it.

When they get old enough to really understand what they mean and they use it, then we have a discussion so that they have the true meaning. After that, they know which words highly offend me and they understand they better not say it in my presence or they will get a tongue lashing from me no matter who is around. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
Personally speaking, I was either 5 or 6 when I said the "f" word after hearing my dad say it. I got slapped in the face for it...

But I started cussing again when I was in the 6th grade. I started saying words like "hell" and "cr*p". I remember how shocked my friends looked every time I said a curse word. I was probably 14 when I first yelled a cuss word to my mom when she was nagging at me about something. She sure gave me quite a belt whooping after that.

When I started high school, I started cussing a little bit more. Then I was taking to my mother about something and I nearly blurted out the s*it word so I made a commitment after that point to stop swearing. My incidence of using foul language has decreased and I almost never use foul language anymore... not even in my head.

I will NOT be letting my kids use foul language. I'll use the old school method and make them put a bar of soap in their mouth or put a drop of hot sauce on their tongue (which is what my grandma used to do) if they did so after the second time.

But it bothers me when parents cuss around their children, especially when they're babies. I think it's inappropriate.

Now I'm the one telling my parents not to cuss instead of them telling me!

Last edited by 90sman; 01-21-2012 at 01:32 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 01:34 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Mine were both little. Around 2, I think. Dh and I are really not big cussers, but when we do "let one fly" it must make a big impression on the kids.

I remember one of the kids sitting in their booster seat at the table with a plate full peas. He'd pick a pea up, drop it to the floor and say "Oh, s&%#" as it landed onto the carpet. I couldn't believe what I was hearing..

Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,770 times
My son was pretty young when he said his first cuss word. He knows all of them. But we have sat down and discussed with him that they are "grownup" words. So every once in a while we will hear a new one, and we will explain that it is another grownup word. I remember my sil said that her daughter said "s**t" and she said (an i quote) "i nearly beat her face off". Im sure that is an exaggeration but the girl was only like 23 months old. Kids dont really understand why its bad, especially if they hear daddy saying it while watching football or playing video games, unless you explain it. Kids are kids but they arent stupid. Just like beer or something in mommys pretty glasses are grownup drinks. He gets it

Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
In the womb?

I swear, I swear with great frequency. Generally not in front of my daughter when she was little but I remember once when she was 5 or 6 and I heard her stub her toe upstairs. Five seconds went by and she muttered "SHOOT" with a different vowel. I told her I understood why she said it and she is free to say whatever she wants in her own home but that she cannot use those words in other places or ever say them AT people.

She is basically grown now and a good grasp on when and where to say things.
Yeah that's how my parents did it with us well.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:30 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Found out tonight when my 7 year old lost his temper he learned 2 new words in school from a "friend". After composing myself and explaining why you don't use those words and passing judgement I got to thinking about when I first learned swear words. I was about the same age...lol. My nephew's first word was a swear word (no one can really blame him, that's all he heard). I never swear in the house or around my son. He admitted where he learned it and his punishment is no legos, no computer, and no ipod for the weekend. He also has to write a letter to his teacher and all the girls in the class because he allows his "friend" to call the girls that. I teach him that if he does nothing to stop it then he is no better than the person who is doing it.

When did your child first learn to swear?
Funny thing is, I can't remember my daughter's first swear word. She's 26 now and I never hear her swear ever.

My sons? Locker rooms from their sports. Coaches are the worst.

My Mom tells a story of me when I was like 5 years old. I grew up in a household with 9 kids on a farm. My Dad would hire teenagers from town to help with the harvest in the fall so one day at supper time I come when called to the table. Well the table is full as all the kids are sitting and the hired help and there are no chairs left.

I looked at my Mom and said "where the hell am I going to sit?" To this day they tell that story and laugh.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 AM

245 posts, read 519,670 times
I learned it from my own mother, I kept laying out the F bomb. I was so hardcore. I got over it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting