U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2012, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,970 posts, read 6,412,527 times
Reputation: 3039

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am fairly certain I used the word average or median in my post. Your kids are not the average. Ok. What is your point?

Typical middle class kids play sports for one season, 100 years ago most kids worked full time or took care of the family farm for even longer hours.
Actually when its whole schools, in MANY different regions where this is happening then I think her kids and how I was is more the average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM
 
15,812 posts, read 13,261,648 times
Reputation: 19712
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Did you know 82% of statistics are made up?
And IME I had about 1-2 hours of homework a night. I never spent less than an hour a night on homework.
I am a researcher. I know statistics. I would have cut and pasted the sources but we all know you just ignore those anyway so what would the point have been?

Maybe I am a sucker for punishment:

Average length of school year and average length of school day, by selected characteristics: United States, 2003–04

And you are right, I misquoted ONLY 55% of high schoolers play sports

High School Sports Participation Increases for 22nd Straight Year - High School Notes (usnews.com)

And the best source, the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...iFD_pxNDB0w4ew

Boys averaged 5.7 hrs a day of leisure time. The majority of which is spent watching TV over 2 hrs on average and another hour of screen time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
 
15,812 posts, read 13,261,648 times
Reputation: 19712
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Actually when its whole schools, in MANY different regions where this is happening then I think her kids and how I was is more the average.
You are wrong. Again. What are the odds.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...iFD_pxNDB0w4ew

MOST kids are not following the made up schedule you posted.

And FYI, I teach at a school for the gifted where they get far more homework than a typically school. Even they are not doing 3 hrs a day on HOMEWORK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 05:04 PM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,556,547 times
Reputation: 10476
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am fairly certain I used the word average or median in my post. Your kids are not the average. Ok. What is your point?

Typical middle class kids play sports for one season, 100 years ago most kids worked full time or took care of the family farm for even longer hours.
Well around here the typical kid, average or not, is involved in at least 2 after school activities. I won't limit it to sports because there are many other activities besides sports that take up time. Some kids that are in dance, however, may only be in dance, but they have dance practice every day all year long. Maybe the kids in your area don't participate but around here, all over our metro area, my kids are the norm, average or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,976 posts, read 11,840,981 times
Reputation: 14681
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Gross exaggeration.

Most kids do not go to school for 8 hrs a day. That is just a lie. Its funny how people say teachers only work part time but kids go to school full time. Anyway, the average day for STUDENTS is only 6.5 hours a day. That includes at least half an hour (and in my school an hour) for lunch, more times for study hall, etc.

Sports. Middle school, and elementary school kids are typically not in sports for 2 hours a day. Even in high school only 65% of kids play sports but of that 65% the majority only play one season. Additionally, FEW sports have everyday practice for 2 hours a day.

For a bit more reality. THE AVERAGE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT DOES FOUR HOURS OF HOMEWORK A WEEK. Not the 15 you claim. Nice try.

So in reality, the average student actual has more like 5-6 hours of down time EACH DAY.
That's pretty close for my kids, and most kids I know.

My kids walk out of the door at 6.55 each morning, the bus leaves at 7, and walk in the door at 2.55pm.

They swim for between 1hr and 30 mins to 1hr and 45 mins 6 days a week. They do piano, Odyssey of the Mind, Boy Souts and Girl Scouts, and my 5th grader does between one and two hours of homework a day.

Pretty much the norm for kids around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 PM
 
15,812 posts, read 13,261,648 times
Reputation: 19712
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well around here the typical kid, average or not, is involved in at least 2 after school activities. I won't limit it to sports because there are many other activities besides sports that take up time. Some kids that are in dance, however, may only be in dance, but they have dance practice every day all year long. Maybe the kids in your area don't participate but around here, all over our metro area, my kids are the norm, average or not.
They are not in the nation. I have given proof of this.

And sports are not mandatory they are a choice, same with piano, and other activities. To claim they are somehow equivalent to the kids of 100 years ago who HAD to work on farms, at factories, etc is a disservice to both groups.

Kids today have so much more leisure time they have the CHOICE to fill that time with afterschool activities. That does not remotely mean they have LESS time than kids who had to work 100 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM
 
Location: here
24,484 posts, read 28,860,837 times
Reputation: 31077
OK, so without all the hair-splitting about the length of school day, etc. are you saying kids are over-scheduled or not? And, I got the impression the OP is not talking about HS kids. He is talking about young kids. Only the ages of 4 years, 10 months, and 6 weeks were mentioned, I believe. Maybe it was 10 weeks, not months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,556,547 times
Reputation: 10476
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are wrong. Again. What are the odds.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...iFD_pxNDB0w4ew

MOST kids are not following the made up schedule you posted.

And FYI, I teach at a school for the gifted where they get far more homework than a typically school. Even they are not doing 3 hrs a day on HOMEWORK.
A HIGH SCHOOL for gifted kids?? Like I said, our kids have between 2-4 hours of homework every night. It's about 30 minutes/subject but it adds up. Math, Spanish, Chem, Social, English. Then they have to practice their instruments for band, another 30 minutes and that is 3 hours right there. If they have tests or projects to do, that easily adds another hour. Our kids are very efficient time managers and don't watch tv or listen to the radio when they do their homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 05:08 PM
 
Location: here
24,484 posts, read 28,860,837 times
Reputation: 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
They are not in the nation. I have given proof of this.

And sports are not mandatory they are a choice, same with piano, and other activities. To claim they are somehow equivalent to the kids of 100 years ago who HAD to work on farms, at factories, etc is a disservice to both groups.

Kids today have so much more leisure time they have the CHOICE to fill that time with afterschool activities. That does not remotely mean they have LESS time than kids who had to work 100 years ago.
Yes, this. Kids are in activities now because there is time for that. Once upon a time, there wasn't time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 05:11 PM
 
15,812 posts, read 13,261,648 times
Reputation: 19712
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
A HIGH SCHOOL for gifted kids??
Yes. An entire public school for children g/t in science and engineering. So?

We take the top 1-2% in every district, in our area.

Quote:
Like I said, our kids have between 2-4 hours of homework every night. It's about 30 minutes/subject but it adds up. Math, Spanish, Chem, Social, English. Then they have to practice their instruments for band, another 30 minutes and that is 3 hours right there. If they have tests or projects to do, that easily adds another hour. Our kids are very efficient time managers and don't watch tv or listen to the radio when they do their homework.
I never said I do not believe you but unless you are claiming the US Bureau of Labor Statistics is lying I have no idea why you would presume to think that is the norm for every teenager in the country.

It may even be the norm for kids in your town, in your SES, but so what? It is not the norm in the nation.

Again, all you have proven is your kids have so much leisure time that they can do a bunch of activities afterschool that kids 100 years ago would not have time for. What is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top