U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,556,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
We live in South Jersey, right down the road is the Flyers hockey rink that has a league. Its expensive but we have considered putting in it. We were thinking of waiting a little longer until the cost was offset by the experience but if you guys have had good experience with younger kids and hockey then maybe we might give it a try. Does he need to know how to skate first?
Depends on the program. Some will want to teach them how to skate so they get their fundamentals done in the way the league wants. Usually that information will be on a website though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 03:32 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,747,224 times
My son started T-ball the summer before we moved here. A bunch of 3-4yr olds was a riot to watch, especially the exercises at start of practice.

It was really fun for the kids. Started with first 5 mins of exercises (jumping jacks, toe touches, leg stretches, run in place, etc) and then practiced throwing the ball and catching the ball the first week. Next week was hitting and stopping grounders, following week was practicing hitting as far out as they could and learning how to properly run around the bases (which was hysterically funny at times) and stopping ON the bases and not mid-point or running backwards.

Good sportsmanship was taught and although it wasn't mandatory, it was encouraged for parents to get out on the field and help their child grasp the skill that was being taught for the day. Picture day came, then game day, which was the LONGEST game I have ever been to in my life..lol. We then moved and couldn't do the last 4 games

Old 01-22-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
We live in South Jersey, right down the road is the Flyers hockey rink that has a league. Its expensive but we have considered putting in it. We were thinking of waiting a little longer until the cost was offset by the experience but if you guys have had good experience with younger kids and hockey then maybe we might give it a try. Does he need to know how to skate first?
We just signed my son up for ice hockey fundamentals as he is insisting he wants to be a Bruins player (we live near Boston), but we had to enroll him into ice skating lessons first. Around here they will not allow you into the hockey classes without going through the skating lessons first unless the child can show the coach that they already are able to do certain skating skills/techniques. I am dreading going through hockey because of how expensive it is, and my son wants to be a goalie! I was told it is the most expensive position

Old 01-22-2012, 03:48 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,917,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
I am dreading going through hockey because of how expensive it is, and my son wants to be a goalie! I was told it is the most expensive position
It not only is expensive money-wise, it is expensive time wise.
There is more than the games. On ice practices, off ice training, tournaments, camps... but we really enjoyed the ten years our son played!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:00 PM

Off ice training? What is that exactly?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It not only is expensive money-wise, it is expensive time wise.
There is more than the games. On ice practices, off ice training, tournaments, camps... but we really enjoyed the ten years our son played!
NO KIDDING. Here, once the kids are in 3rd grade or so, practice 3-5 days/week, tournaments EVERY weekend October until March or so. Usually have April off, then summer hockey starts in June, along with various summer camps, etc. Kids usually have Aug/Sept off then back at it in October. During Aug/Sept though the kids are roller blading, playing street hockey, going to endurance camps, etc. It's pretty intense.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 AM

523 posts, read 837,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Really?

Expect one 1-hour practice per week, one game on Saturday. Everyone should get to hit. Everyone should get to run all the bases, no outs, no score keeping. Everyone will probably get a trophy at the end of the season. You'll probably have to take snacks and drinks for all the kids to one game.
Exactly this except not necessarily the trophy part. My kids participate in a ton of sports and they have never encountered a situation where everyone gets a trophy or medal or an award. I am starting to think this is an urban legend.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 AM

39,473 posts, read 38,067,918 times
Nope, it happens here. Every YMCA team and even their youth football league gives at least a medal or small trophy to every kid at the end of the season.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Nope, it happens here. Every YMCA team and even their youth football league gives at least a medal or small trophy to every kid at the end of the season.
For the younger kids, that is pretty much what you see here too. They are called "participation awards" usually.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM

523 posts, read 837,479 times
Wow, here kids get mostly apparel at the end of the year if anything. Cool team soccer socks or headwarmers, or knit hats with the name of the town in flag football. Nothing in basketball or baseball. Sometimes there is a pizza party or ice cream but no trophies. I'm talking about elementary aged kids and younger. I'm sure middle and high schoolers may have awards ceremonies though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting