U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Jersey
870 posts, read 603,369 times
Reputation: 860
Default Starting T-ball this summer, what to expect

My son is 4, just turned in October. In 2 weeks we are registering for T-ball. For the first season of organized sports what should we expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 PM
 
Location: here
16,586 posts, read 12,899,198 times
Reputation: 13204
Really?

Expect one 1-hour practice per week, one game on Saturday. Everyone should get to hit. Everyone should get to run all the bases, no outs, no score keeping. Everyone will probably get a trophy at the end of the season. You'll probably have to take snacks and drinks for all the kids to one game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Jersey
870 posts, read 603,369 times
Reputation: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Really?

Expect one 1-hour practice per week, one game on Saturday. Everyone should get to hit. Everyone should get to run all the bases, no outs, no score keeping. Everyone will probably get a trophy at the end of the season. You'll probably have to take snacks and drinks for all the kids to one game.
I dont really understand what you mean by really? yes really this is my first experience with him doing anything community and outside my home. Im a sahm and have no experience.
I dont know how a 4 year typically reacts and i cant project how he will act because i have never been through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 PM
 
Location: here
16,586 posts, read 12,899,198 times
Reputation: 13204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I dont really understand what you mean by really? yes really this is my first experience with him doing anything community and outside my home. Im a sahm and have no experience.
I dont know how a 4 year typically reacts and i cant project how he will act because i have never been through it.
I mean "really? Since your last post, only 8 hours ago, was a rant about kids being over scheduled, I'm surprised the next one was about signing your 4 yo up for a structured activity." That's all. Not that there is anything wrong with the question or the activity itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 PM
 
Location: here
16,586 posts, read 12,899,198 times
Reputation: 13204
How he will handle it depends on the kid. Most are great. some are not ready for team sports. No way to know unless you try! Mine started at 5. One is almost 9 and doesn't play any more. The other one will play his 3rd season this year. Each year they add rules and make it a little harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Jersey
870 posts, read 603,369 times
Reputation: 860
Oh yeah I do think kids are over structured but I dont disagree with some activities just not micor managed every moment. This is literally the first and only activity he has ever had. And he starts school in the fall so whether i like it or not, structure is headed his way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Rockwall
675 posts, read 662,916 times
Reputation: 1064
What to expect??

Whining, crying, pouting, temper tantrums, poor sportsmanship.....

From the parents.

The kids will have a blast!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 09:17 PM
 
Location: here
16,586 posts, read 12,899,198 times
Reputation: 13204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
What to expect??

Whining, crying, pouting, temper tantrums, poor sportsmanship.....

From the parents.

The kids will have a blast!!
ha ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 PM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
20,577 posts, read 17,107,802 times
Reputation: 28674
A lot of waiting. Kids sit or stand around waiting for their turn to hit, and then they stand around waiting for the ball to come to them ... and it usually doesn't. Some kids find it boring and act like litle kids do when they have to stand around waiting for an hour or so. My son was in t-ball. Some of the kids handled it well. It was excruciating trying to get some of the others to pay attention, especially the outfielders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 PM
 
Location: here
16,586 posts, read 12,899,198 times
Reputation: 13204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A lot of waiting. Kids sit or stand around waiting for their turn to hit, and then they stand around waiting for the ball to come to them ... and it usually doesn't. Some kids find it boring and act like litle kids do when they have to stand around waiting for an hour or so. My son was in t-ball. Some of the kids handled it well. It was excruciating trying to get some of the others to pay attention, especially the outfielders.
yes, either that, or they all run to the ball and fight over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top