U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM

870 posts, read 1,218,443 times

Advertisements

I breastfed. My SIL didnt. Neither of us is right or wrong, it was a decision we each made. In light of a recent CDC study that recommends not breastfeeding before or after a vaccine to help the absortion process, I was thinking about breastfeeding.

Do/did you breastfeed?
Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed?
Do you breastfeed in public?
How do you feel about public breastfeeding?
Do you believe that formula is the same?
Do you believe "breast is best"?
How long did you breastfeed?
Why did you stop when you did?

Just wanted to open a discussion about breastfeeding. Please no attacking people either way as each woman makes a decision for her family that is best. Just an open forum to discuss. I realize this is a hot topic for some, lets be respectful please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,442,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I breastfed. My SIL didnt. Neither of us is right or wrong, it was a decision we each made. In light of a recent CDC study that recommends not breastfeeding before or after a vaccine to help the absortion process, I was thinking about breastfeeding.
That is incorrect, they did NOT recommend that but breastfeeding tyrants read far too much into the lines of what was said.

What the study DID say is that further research would be needed. Unless of course, you have something from the CDC website that says otherwise?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:30 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,803,744 times

Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Furthermore, it was not all vaccines in this study as your post suggests, it was rotavirus specifically. It is pretty pointless with breastfed babies as mother's milk antibodies help protect the baby.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20442687

Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
That is incorrect, they did NOT recommend that but breastfeeding tyrants read far too much into the lines of what was said.

What the study DID say is that further research would be needed. Unless of course, you have something from the CDC website that says otherwise?
My post is not about the breastfeeding/vaccine study. I was only saying it got me thinking about breastfeeding. So I will not be discussing the study. You may start a thread if you want to discuss that. Also I am not a breastfeeding tyrant, actually i dont even know what that is. I just wanted to have an open discussion about breastfeeding.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:50 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,097,468 times
Quote:

Do/did you breastfeed?
Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed?
Do you breastfeed in public?
How do you feel about public breastfeeding?
Do you believe that formula is the same?
Do you believe "breast is best"?
How long did you breastfeed?
Why did you stop when you did?

Just wanted to open a discussion about breastfeeding. Please no attacking people either way as each woman makes a decision for her family that is best. Just an open forum to discuss. I realize this is a hot topic for some, lets be respectful please.
Do/did you breastfeed? I was only able to breast feed for the first 2 weeks. My milk was not coming out as expected so I had to start bottle feeding.

Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed? I was not able to breast feed, so I had to bottle feed.

Do you breastfeed in public? In the first 2 weeks prior to switching we didn't really go anywhere, but if people were at my house then yes, I breastfed in front of them. Usually with a blanket to cover me.

How do you feel about public breastfeeding? I personally don't have a problem with it.

Do you believe that formula is the same? I don't think it is the same, but my daughter turned out just fine.

Do you believe "breast is best"? Not all the time. My daughter wasn't getting enough nutrition, so it was not best.

How long did you breastfeed? Only able to breastfeed for 2 weeks.

Why did you stop when you did? My daughter was basically starving and my husband and I made the choice to switch to bottle.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27;22662499
Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed? [COLOR=blue
I was not able to breast feed, so I had to bottle feed.[/color]
Im sorry that your intended plan didnt work out, but isnt it wonderful we live in a world where there is another option!

Why did you decide to try breastfeeding to begin with?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
My post is not about the breastfeeding/vaccine study. I was only saying it got me thinking about breastfeeding. So I will not be discussing the study. You may start a thread if you want to discuss that. Also I am not a breastfeeding tyrant, actually i dont even know what that is. I just wanted to have an open discussion about breastfeeding.
Why bother mentioning the study then? It makes the topic you are discussing quite confusing. I did not call you a breastfeeding tyrant, i was talking about the biased websites that are discussing this socalled "CDC" anti-breastfeeding view.

But, i digress. I'll answer your questions.

Do/did you breastfeed? I exclusively pumped milk for my child.
Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed? He refused to breastfeed due to being premature, so I made the decision to pump.
Do you breastfeed in public? n/a
How do you feel about public breastfeeding? Don't really care either way.
Do you believe that formula is the same? It is not the same and is scientifically proven.
Do you believe "breast is best"? Not always. Depends on the situation and family.
How long did you breastfeed? Exclusively pumped for 11 months.
Why did you stop when you did? I was sick of being a pumping machine for 2-3 hours a day.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM

I applaud your dedication to sticking with pumping. Its not easy. I breastfed exclusively for 6 months then did a combination of pumping and breast for another 3 then pump and formula for another 3. Pumping is hard, nursing is wayyy easier.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:40 PM

346 posts, read 428,382 times
Do/did you breastfeed? Yes, both babies! But I also occasionally supplemented with formula
Why did you decide to breastfeed or to not breastfeed? It was considered the healthiest for both baby and Mom, plus Mother Nature made it so.
Do you breastfeed in public? Yes, but only reluctantly, and as discreetly as possible
How do you feel about public breastfeeding? As long as it is discreet, I don't care
Do you believe that formula is the same? No
Do you believe "breast is best"? yes
How long did you breastfeed? 9 months with #1 and almost 15 months with #2
Why did you stop when you did? With number one I wanted my boobs back for me only, and with number two I felt it was time. Both kids began to walk well at the same time, so perhaps that had something to do with my decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting