U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,236,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. Great post. (I have to spread the love around again, Anna. Boo. Hiss.)
I got her for both of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 01:28 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,582,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I think that most parents understand that "gifted" programs don't mean their child is a genius. All it really means is a child that is an above the average learner compared with children their own age. There are people that act like GT programs are like Mensa, but it's only a program to give kids who need it more of a challenge. Whether my kid is smart, average, or learning disabled, I would want her to get the best education available to her, and I really think that's all it boils down to.

There are negative attitudes from both sides of the issue imo. There are parents of smart children who feel their child is too good for the world, and there are parents of average kids who turn up their nose at GT children, automatically assuming that they MUST think they're better than everyone else. It's no different from any other stereotype that there is. When you know someone personally who behaves this way, apply that thought to THEM and them alone.

I think a lot of people forget that parenting isn't a contest, it's about doing what is best for your child. I know there are a LOT of competitive parents out there, and with that comes a lot of nastiness and negativity. People need to focus on their own kids and quit worrying about what the neighbors kids are doing.
Exactly! Well said!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
With regard to actual "gifted" children, I have never heard a parent discuss this fact, unless it is in a very specific environment. Now as for the above average student parents, yeah, I hear it a lot, especially with regard to reading ability.
I'm sorry, discuss what fact? I'm not really understanding.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,840,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm sorry, discuss what fact? I'm not really understanding.
I have never heard the parents of truly "gifted" children discuss their children's abilities.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,463,966 times
Quote:
I have never heard the parents of truly "gifted" children discuss their children's abilities.
Exactly. In my experience the parents of a truly gifted child (and I'll use the old-fashioned meaning: brilliance. Not just really smart in a few subjects) are usually worried to pieces about how to educate him properly. They aren't the ones saying, "My Johnnie is a genius" to all the neighbors. They're the ones saying, "Help! What do I do now?"

Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM

370 posts, read 1,120,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Oh yes you can brag along with those other parents. Your son has unique qualities that even Autism cannot hinder. Don't zone out, express your pride in your son's achievements right back to those parents. Let them hear from a parent whose child has Autism that yes, my child is the light of my life and my pride and joy.
Good points. I do tell them this. He is happy, empathetic, sweet, kind and so on.

Sadly, so many kids are judged on 'normal' behaviors---are they in sports? (especially boys) or how many friends do they have? Apparently if your kids is not 'normal' it's something you did...but this is best said in the Special Needs Section.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM

9,586 posts, read 13,431,059 times
Quote:
Hmm, seems to me many posting here don't know the difference between "gifted" and "advanced" or "above average".
Gifted does not necessarily mean genius either, although a lot of people seem to assume that they are the same thing.

I hate to use IQ numbers but they are an easy point of reference so...
There's roughly a mere thirty points between genius at an IQ of 140 and above average over 110, another thirty points between that and borderline mental retardation at an IQ under 80.
On the lower end between 80 and 110, we don't lump all those kids at both ends of the spectrum together and expect them to all have the sames abilities and needs. Kids near the lower range are going to need more help. And everyone seems fine with acknowledging that.
Conversely, I don't really think it's right to say that on the other end all those kids with an IQ over 110 but under 140 should all be lumped together as having the same abilities and needs either. Kids at the higher end face challenges too, yet we aren't fine with acknowledging that.
WHY?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Oh, I got ya. I talk to other parents of highly gifted kids and some of them do discuss their child's abilities some don't. It usually comes up for contests, etc. Or placement and higher education. I don't see it as bragging though, a few boast a bit just like any proud parent when their kid accomplishes something that took them a lot of effort and time and they did a good job at it.
The last thing most parents of highly gifted kids want is for someone to think they're bragging and they certainly don't want to get into the "is he really gifted or not" convo. Most I know avoid it like the plague.

I don't know the deal with Washington but there aren't usually enough "gifted" kids to worry to much about what they or their parents are up to. I'm surprised it bothers anyone. They get very little funding and they're simply in the minority of the school population.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Gifted does not necessarily mean genius either, although a lot of people seem to assume that they are the same thing.

I hate to use IQ numbers but they are an easy point of reference so...
There's roughly a mere thirty points between genius at an IQ of 140 and above average over 110, another thirty points between that and borderline mental retardation at an IQ under 80.
On the lower end between 80 and 110, we don't lump all those kids at both ends of the spectrum together and expect them to all have the sames abilities and needs. Kids near the lower range are going to need more help. And everyone seems fine with acknowledging that.
Conversely, I don't really think it's right to say that on the other end all those kids with an IQ over 110 but under 140 should all be lumped together as having the same abilities and needs either. Kids at the higher end face challenges too, yet we aren't fine with acknowledging that.
WHY?
I agree. I think it's as simple as "until you walk in my shoes". People don't understand most others situations until they deal with them themselves. Otherwise it's just assumption and whatever they think. This happens in all situations. I've heard people actually say they think ADHD is just a parent not spanking their kids enough. Sounds crazy but true. People think gifted kids are just parent robots. They just don't have these kids so they don't know.
You just really never know until you've been there done that, IMO of course.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM

654 posts, read 881,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I totally agree with the "Entitlement Factor". My mom has taught in Iowa City for well over 35 years, and she said the past 10 years has had a massive shift in people's thoughts on their kids.

She almost wants to puke now with all these parents who think their kid is "gifted" or "special". She wants to tell them that their kid is unique. As in, all kids are unique. They're no more unique than most of the other kids. Yet they all feel this need to make sure their kid is put on a completely different level because they're SPECIAL. The worst is when the kids are acting out or take no responsibility for anything, but it's nothing the kid can possibly control - they're SPECIAL.

So yeah, I think it's everywhere now. It's a cultural thing in the USA.
I also live in Iowa City. Much of the culture about that is based on the fact that this is a university community.

At the elementary level in our district, some of the curriculum is just really dreadful and I can certainly see what would motivate parents to want something more for their children.

Kids who might be far above average, but not necessarily gifted are left with a curriculum that is dull, in my opinion. Social studies at the elementary level is almost a throwaway class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or