Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Right. She talked to HERSELF. She makes quite an impressive and representative sample.
What I am arguing is not based on how I and only I feel.
I've known a heck of a lot of first generation immigrant parents, and NONE has felt the way you felt. Absolutely none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Get over your shock and go out there and talk to first generation immigrant parents about how they see the US educational system. There are quite a few studies out there. Bother to research and read.
Quote:
Right. She talked to HERSELF. She makes quite an impressive and representative sample.
What I am arguing is not based on how I and only I feel.
I am a first generation immigrant parent, and thankfully I have never met a first generation immigrant parent who displays as much disdain for their adoptive country's culture and norms as you manage to do in each and every post, regardless of the topic. You are responsible for how you raise your children, why demean the choices others make? If you don't agree with the way others educate or discipline their children, then so be it, but why the constant put-downs?

You have chosen to live in this country, and therefore its culture. If you find it so abhorrent and offensive, there really is only one solution.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that growing up behind the Iron Curtain was all rainbows and unicorns, but that's a whole other topic.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am a first generation immigrant parent, and thankfully I have never met a first generation immigrant parent who displays as much disdain for their adoptive country's culture and norms as you manage to do in each and every post, regardless of the topic. You are responsible for how you raise your children, why demean the choices others make? If you don't agree with the way others educate or discipline their children, then so be it, but why the constant put-downs?

You have chosen to live in this country, and therefore its culture. If you find it so abhorrent and offensive, there really is only one solution.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that growing up behind the Iron Curtain was all rainbows and unicorns, but that's a whole other topic.
Yep. The people I know growing up behind the Iron Curtain have nothing good to say about it. Just about every immigrant family I know loves the country and the opportunity to be here.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM

35 posts, read 46,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
It turns out that according to some study somewhere (I forget the details) people who can change a decision tend to be less happy with their choices (i.e. marriage here in the U.S. or college choices, etc. - anything you can change or reverse). People who cannot change a decision tend to be happier about their choice (i.e. having a baby). The reason is because if you're "stuck" with the decision, people tend to be happy about it.
What? I'm sure there are plenty of people who wish that they could take back just one thing that they did that changed their lives forever, and regret every minute of their life-changing decision. For example, how many convicted felons wish that they never made the choice to have a permanent mark against them for the rest of their lives? Maybe if you're talking about the choice between having kids and not having them, this might apply, but not all choices fit into this nice, neat little paradigm.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rls929 View Post
What? I'm sure there are plenty of people who wish that they could take back just one thing that they did that changed their lives forever, and regret every minute of their life-changing decision. For example, how many convicted felons wish that they never made the choice to have a permanent mark against them for the rest of their lives? Maybe if you're talking about the choice between having kids and not having them, this might apply, but not all choices fit into this nice, neat little paradigm.
The study, as I recall, pertained to having a child or not. I'm not here to discuss felons, and I do not remember the interviewing dealing with that issue.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
I would be severely disappointed in my child and wonder what I'd done wrong to cause him/her to be so selfish to not want children. It's also a sin to want to remain childless since it's a selfish act plus God gave us the ability to reproduce.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I would be severely disappointed in my child and wonder what I'd done wrong to cause him/her to be so selfish to not want children. It's also a sin to want to remain childless since it's a selfish act plus God gave us the ability to reproduce.
Im not religious so I will just say that we also have the ability to scratch our own asses....but that doesn't mean we HAVE to if we don't want to.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
If someone doesn't want children, they shouldn't have children, its a clear sign someone is not parent material.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
You are very misguided if you think that. Most people are childless these days because it costs so much to raise a child and their wages are not increasing as fast as inflation. It is not selfish at all to look after one's one interests first before ever thinking about reproducing. Period. Also, DINKS and singles subsidize the costs for those that have large families who consume more resources.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:12 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You are very misguided if you think that. Most people are childless these days because it costs so much to raise a child and their wages are not increasing as fast as inflation.
I don't know. I think the majority of people who choose to be childless do so because they don't want children, not because they want them but can't afford it. Although ... I can see some having the mindset that they don't want children yet and thus do not have them at the moment.

Quote:
It is not selfish at all to look after one's one interests first before ever thinking about reproducing. Period.
I agree with this.

Quote:
Also, DINKS and singles subsidize the costs for those that have large families who consume more resources.
Likewise, people with children subsidize health care costs for the aging population by spreading risk across a broader population. The majority of health care costs come from seniors, not children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting