Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times

Advertisements

We have two daughters, both in their twenties. Both are happily married, no kids yet and one couple wants kids in a couple more years and the other couple does not.

I totally respect and love both couples. It does not bother me in the least, so how I feel is fine. I mean I actually don't feel anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
I will be honest. It would break my heart if my kids didn't want children of their own because I really do want to be a Grandma with tons of grandkids running around. BUT.... if they all decided to be childfree, I would suck it up, keep my mouth shut, get over it and support them in any decision they made. And then I would spoil the heck out of my grand nieces and nephews.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't really see what is so crazy about this. They're 27 not 17. They're having 3 kids, not 6. It just doesn't seem so odd to me.
My cousin married someone who came from an ultra conservative religious background who had at least 8-9 other siblings. Therefore, I can already assume certain things about the deal as they have only been married three years.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:16 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
My cousin married someone who came from an ultra conservative religious background who had at least 8-9 other siblings. Therefore, I can already assume certain things about the deal as they have only been married three years.
That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll have 8 or 9 kids though. My husband is from a family of 11, my parents had 9, we have 4. Technically, my brain was completely done 6 years before my youngest showed up, but I wasn't going to abort him......so we have 4. Neither one of us wanted as many children as our parents had. It was utter chaos in our homes when we were growing up....fighting, bickering, bullying. We didn't want that in our lives. Okay, well....with 3 sons, we still had/have some of that, but I couldn't imagine having that many kids!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:47 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
well, you didn't say that.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I would feel like they are being very sensible, and I would applaud them for it. My kids are all over 35, none have kids, and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:25 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
well, you didn't say that.
Well, they live in Kansas... I have no intention of living there ever again either.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll have 8 or 9 kids though. My husband is from a family of 11, my parents had 9, we have 4. Technically, my brain was completely done 6 years before my youngest showed up, but I wasn't going to abort him......so we have 4. Neither one of us wanted as many children as our parents had. It was utter chaos in our homes when we were growing up....fighting, bickering, bullying. We didn't want that in our lives. Okay, well....with 3 sons, we still had/have some of that, but I couldn't imagine having that many kids!
Agreed. I think these days even when people have come from large families they don't go on to have one as large as the one they grew up in.

Seems to me more and more people are stopping at just two kids.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:44 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Agreed. I think these days even when people have come from large families they don't go on to have one as large as the one they grew up in.

Seems to me more and more people are stopping at just two kids.
Exactly! Just because your parents have a large number of children, it doesn't mean that YOU are going to. Children don't always follow the same path as their parents, including religion! Quite often, it's the parents' choices which influence their children in the OPPOSITE direction! Learning from what we might call our parents' "mistakes" is not a bad thing.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
I'm in my early 20s and I don't want kids. Am I against it? No. If it happens, it happens. If not, oh well.

I don't think my parents would be upset since they have six other girls and one son left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting