U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,767,968 times

Advertisements

My challenging dear daughter has always had a host of issues, school being one of them. Grades, behavior, etc. Elementary school was not fun for her--I got to know her teachers very well and it was not a good experience. My daughter had a rough start in life (international adoption) so we've had a host of issues.

Middle school started off well with her making a resolution to have a fresh start. Unfortunately, she has fallen into the same patterns of behavior. Her Middle School has a no tolerance policy and very quick to enforce things, whether it be anti bullying or just addressing kids acting up. She already had her first detention for a gym incident. Just this week, she was assigned a teacher mentor and put into a formal program where they meet once a week, have monthy get togethers with the other kids, etc. It seems to be quite an involved process and I'm glad that we have this additional resource at our fingertips.

My daughter is also seeing a therapist recommended by the school. I think this gal is going to be great for my daughter. She has been in therapy before but I wasn't that pleased with her therapist. This one seems very good and has experience with adoption issues on top of everything. The school actually found her for us and researched people that accepted our insurance. Pretty great in my eyes. I can't say enough good things about the schools in our area.

Has anyone here had their kids "mentored" by a teacher in school and how did this work out? The letter we got came as a bit of a surprise but I'm glad this resource exists. My heart is breaking a bit in that she has been identified as a problem kid but we are doing everything possible to help her in these earlier years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,465,124 times
Sounds like your school is focused on getting kids to succeed. I would be thrilled with this level of involvement. We have a mentor program at hour high school but it is for helping kids research colleges and potential careers, which I think is the best class ever, but not the same thing you have.

Having older kids I would say that I can see where a program like your DD is now in would be very successful for most kids. Often it just takes the active interest of an adult that is not their parent to get them started down the right path, even if what the mentor says is exactly what you have told her over and over, you are a parent, in a teen mind you are stupid . Get used to it because it doesn't change until she has kids of her own.

Good luck to your DD.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,570,689 times
It sounds like a good program. I don't have any personal experience with a mentor outside of the college setting, but that was a very positive experience for me. It sounds like this program is something a lot of kids could benefit from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or