U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,989,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There has been a whole language VERSUS phonics debate in the education system since whole language as some kind fun special new educational idea came about when my nephew was in grade school about 25 years ago. As I recall it, whole language instruction began as a response to the rule breakers you give examples of. The two factions were so busy proving the superiority of their method, in my opinion, they missed the fact that instructing in both is the best choice.
Teaching both makes sense to me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,233,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Teaching both makes sense to me too.
I would put it slightly differently. USING both to teach reading makes sense to me.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:31 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,794,980 times
Sight words are very important, but I'm not sure how important they are at 6 months of age. As far as I know this system doesn't spend a lot of time on letter sounds or the alphabet, which is one of the major criticisms. Also the flashcards have pictures on them, so to say that very young children have actually learned the words is a stretch.

It remains my opinion that sitting and reading with your children is going to be more beneficial than plopping them down in front of a video.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,239,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There has been a whole language VERSUS phonics debate in the education system since whole language as some kind fun special new educational idea came about when my nephew was in grade school about 25 years ago. As I recall it, whole language instruction began as a response to the rule breakers you give examples of. The two factions were so busy proving the superiority of their method, in my opinion, they missed the fact that instructing in both is the best choice.
I learned to read before school started from my parents reading to me and pointing out the words, and I would then memorize those words and then recognize them when I would see them in other books. So they basically taught me in a quasi-whole language way.

But when I went to school, the school definitely used phonics because I remember the i before e except after c rule being taught, kids being told to sound it out, and plenty of spelling tests. So I already had a foundation of reading from quasi-whole language and the phonics in school helped me apply that foundation to words I hadn't encountered yet. So it would seem to me a combination of the two is preferable. That said, I wonder if my initial solid foundation would have led to me becoming a better writer if my school had encouraged us to write instead of endless phonics drills/spelling tests perhaps curbing my interest in reading/writing a bit.

It would be best if we could determine which is better for each individual child and give each child individualized lessons based on his/her strengths and weaknesses, but the money and resources for that are just not there. So some sort of mixed approach seems to be the least evil solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting