U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:19 PM

870 posts, read 1,216,968 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experienced ADHD like symptoms associated with Red 40? My son is a normal wild 4 yr old boy. He hoots and hollers and makes all kind of ruckus. But when he drink like fruit punches or koolaid or eats anything with red 40 he acts so hyped up. He runs around and jumps on things, cant sit still, makes a lot of unnecessary noise and is just generally more hyper. Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Has anyone experienced ADHD like symptoms associated with Red 40? My son is a normal wild 4 yr old boy. He hoots and hollers and makes all kind of ruckus. But when he drink like fruit punches or koolaid or eats anything with red 40 he acts so hyped up. He runs around and jumps on things, cant sit still, makes a lot of unnecessary noise and is just generally more hyper. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've heard of this, and I really try to limit artificial colors, especially red #40. I've never given them koolaid. If they get any Red #40 it would be from an occasional M&M or a birthday cake.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 PM

I have recently decided to try and limit his red 40 intake. No more koolaid or red fruitsnacks, just all natural. I dont know what the long term effects are but if there is a noticable difference then its probably just best to eliminate it all together right?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I have recently decided to try and limit his red 40 intake. No more koolaid or red fruitsnacks, just all natural. I dont know what the long term effects are but if there is a noticable difference then its probably just best to eliminate it all together right?
When the light bulb went on about food dyes being toxic, I immediately started buying cereals that are all natural, and Annie's mac and cheese instead of kraft. Those were my 2 big changes. I don't try to eliminate it 100%, but I try to take notice and read labels.

All Natural Products | Mom's Best® Naturals Cereal

I mostly buy these cereals. They have one that is like Lucky Charms and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. The colors aren't as vivid, but the kids like them. They can go on sale for $1/box!

Oh, yogurt too... I don't buy the Trix yogurt, only the natural kind.

And the colorful Goldfish crackers... just look at anything with vivid kid-like colors.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 PM

Yeah now that im thinking about all of the things we have in our house im thinking: crystal light, cereal, jelly, fruitsnacks, mac and cheese, candy and the list goes on and on. You try to make good decisions for your kids and there are things you dont even notice :/

Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Here are some of the things you'll need to not allow your child to consume, if you choose to eliminate red 40 from his diet:

Pillsbury crescent rolls, supreme vanilla frosting, pie crust.
Duncan Heins cake mix in golden, fudge marble, and yellow, and frosting in vanilla.
Comstock cherry pie filling
Altoids breath mints cinnamon and tangerine sours
Jolly Ranchers and Twizzlers.
Starburst candies
M&Ms and Skittles
Lifesavers Gummi Savers
Bubbalicious and Chicklets gum, Cinnaburst, Trident, and Dentyne gum
Smarties
(heck just don't let your kid have ANY candy - chances are it's got red 40 in it, but honestly it's the sugar you should be watching for anyway)
Lucky Charms and Trix cereal
Froot Loops
Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake ice cream bar
Columbo fat-free cherry vanilla yogurt
Dannon yogurts of various flavors, mostly involving strawberry and/or peach
Ensure Plus strawberry
Minute Maid and Sunkist orange sodas
Gatorade - various flavors
Hawaiian Punch fruit punch
Country Time, Crystal Lite, Kool Aid (cherry, grape, kiwi, and tropical), and Tang
Lipton Iced Tea
Wyler's bullion
Open Pit BBQ sauce
Del Monte fruit cups
Hamburger Helper lasagna
Kraft BBQ sauce (most flavors)
Doritos
Betty Crocker fruit..snacks, of various types, mostly called Fruit..something (like Fruit Gushers)
Fla Vor Ice ice thingies
Kellogg's Nutri-Grain cereal bars, various flavors
Jello, pre-made and mix, various flavors

Anything that's got "strawberry" as a flavor variety - just don't buy it, even if your kids demand strawberry flavored stuff.

I feel sad for the kids come summer time, when they're deprived of the rare Strawberry Shortcake treat just cause mom's paranoid they're gonna go hyper on them.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Anon, not much on your list surprised me except the crescent rolls. I just checked the package, and sure enough, Red 40! They aren't anywhere near being red!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:22 PM

No I dont intend to completely outlaw all red 40, because honestly as you just pointed out, its almost impossible. I try and make a lot of things at home, i know they dont contain any extras. We made the rule of no red 40 after 6 pm so that he will fall asleep before 11. I dont want to be the parent at school who says no red 40, so no cupcake on birthday party day or at the holiday celebration. No special rewards. No birthday cake or run things like that. But I can try and at least control some of the intake in order to keep him more managable without needing medication to calm him down because his adhd symptoms stem from food dye not an actual disorder.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
No I dont intend to completely outlaw all red 40, because honestly as you just pointed out, its almost impossible. I try and make a lot of things at home, i know they dont contain any extras. We made the rule of no red 40 after 6 pm so that he will fall asleep before 11. I dont want to be the parent at school who says no red 40, so no cupcake on birthday party day or at the holiday celebration. No special rewards. No birthday cake or run things like that. But I can try and at least control some of the intake in order to keep him more managable without needing medication to calm him down because his adhd symptoms stem from food dye not an actual disorder.
This is pretty much my feeling.

the grandparents are going to take the kids for a couple weeks over the summer and I am not sure I want to make any dietary suggestions. My mom will try to go with it, but my MIL would probably ignore everything I suggest and turn it into a control issue. I don't think it's worth it.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
The jury is still out on the connection between food dyes and behavior. The good thing is there are many studies in the pipeline.

FDA Probes Link Between Food Dyes, Kids' Behavior : NPR

There are more and more products colored with natural ingredients, such as beet juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting