U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:29 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,358,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think there is a lot of common sense that should be used together with the guidelines. Both of my kids are tall for their age, and boosters by 8 cut off the circulation in their legs, so we moved the boosters out. I think some of the other practices are far more dangerous, such as double-buckling. This is a LETHAL practice, very, very bad news. And of course kids riding in the cargo section of a van or SUV unrestrained, while fun, is particularly stupid.
I agree with this. However, I also understand the need for the laws after seeing some of the things I have seen.

One example that comes to mind is when I was picking up DD from day care one day and saw 3 women pull up in a convertible (obviously on the way home from the beach). One jumps out and comes back out with 6 kids all under the age of 5. She starts to pack all 6 kids into the convertible. One on the lap of the mom in the passenger seat, one on her lap, two sitting on the spare seat, one straddling the gear shifter and one standing on the floor between their legs in the back holding on to the girl stradding the gear shifter. I was just staring in shock. They all got in like they had done it a million times before. I hadn't gotten out of my van yet, so I just pulled up behind the car and blocked it in. I got out of the van and told them that either they could find another solution to get home, or I wasn't moving my van. I walked into the day care and told them what was going on.

I didn't let them leave until a van showed up with car seats for all of the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 02:36 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,835,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I agree with this. However, I also understand the need for the laws after seeing some of the things I have seen.

One example that comes to mind is when I was picking up DD from day care one day and saw 3 women pull up in a convertible (obviously on the way home from the beach). One jumps out and comes back out with 6 kids all under the age of 5. She starts to pack all 6 kids into the convertible. One on the lap of the mom in the passenger seat, one on her lap, two sitting on the spare seat, one straddling the gear shifter and one standing on the floor between their legs in the back holding on to the girl stradding the gear shifter. I was just staring in shock. They all got in like they had done it a million times before. I hadn't gotten out of my van yet, so I just pulled up behind the car and blocked it in. I got out of the van and told them that either they could find another solution to get home, or I wasn't moving my van. I walked into the day care and told them what was going on.

I didn't let them leave until a van showed up with car seats for all of the kids.
Oh, I wasn't saying people should not follow the law or the guidelines. I hope my post didn't come across that way. I just meant some people say all kids should be in boosters until they are 12. My son is 11, 5'3", and 105 lbs, there's no way he can fit on a booster. I just meant each family should figure out based on each child what criteria is safest.

As for what you described, they are idiots. Kids on laps is ridiculous. Some of the worst injuries I have ever personally seen are babies in rear-facing car seats in the front seat smooshed by air bags, and kids doubled buckled on parents laps. The latter is particularly awful as the weight of the adult pushes the child onto the seat belt. really, really awful.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,358,096 times
Quote:
Oh, I wasn't saying people should not follow the law or the guidelines. I hope my post didn't come across that way. I just meant some people say all kids should be in boosters until they are 12. My son is 11, 5'3", and 105 lbs, there's no way he can fit on a booster. I just meant each family should figure out based on each child what criteria is safest.

As for what you described, they are idiots. Kids on laps is ridiculous. Some of the worst injuries I have ever personally seen are babies in rear-facing car seats in the front seat smooshed by air bags, and kids doubled buckled on parents laps. The latter is particularly awful as the weight of the adult pushes the child onto the seat belt. really, really awful.
Sorry. Bad quoting from me. I was agreeing with you, and the rest was more of a general post.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,452,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
One example that comes to mind is when I was picking up DD from day care one day and saw 3 women pull up in a convertible (obviously on the way home from the beach). One jumps out and comes back out with 6 kids all under the age of 5. She starts to pack all 6 kids into the convertible. One on the lap of the mom in the passenger seat, one on her lap, two sitting on the spare seat, one straddling the gear shifter and one standing on the floor between their legs in the back holding on to the girl stradding the gear shifter.
Even when we were seatbelt-stupid in the 60's I can't think of a parent who would have done this.

This is just too dumb for words.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,746,368 times
My 4.5 yr old is only 31lbs and short. He will be in his convertible 5pt harness probably until he is legally able to drive...

Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,579,621 times
Study: 60% of car seats contain toxic chemicals | wtsp.com
Thought you'd like to add this since it's about car seats and all.
Seat belts just as safe as car seats, authors say – Moms At Work – Orlando Sentinel
And this is an odd thing I found. I remember hearing this as well and sort of freaking out a bit. Lucky I don't have to worry about the little ones anymore. Very difficult for parents now a days.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,909,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
My 4.5 yr old is only 31lbs and short. He will be in his convertible 5pt harness probably until he is legally able to drive...
I know, according to the guidelines, kids should stay in boosters until they are 80lbs... My oldest is 9 and not even 50lbs yet, she will be in high school in a booster!
Here in PA they go by age, which as I said previously is just ridiculous, but it seems that is what everyone follows for the most part. My kids are in boosters and will remain for a very long time. My 6 yr old just got out of her 5pt harness...

Old 02-01-2012, 07:39 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,835,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I try to keep snacks in the car so the children don't resort to eating the car seats. The article fails to mention in what way they pose a risk to the occupant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Thought you'd like to add this since it's about car seats and all.
Seat belts just as safe as car seats, authors say Moms At Work Orlando Sentinel
And this is an odd thing I found. I remember hearing this as well and sort of freaking out a bit. Lucky I don't have to worry about the little ones anymore. Very difficult for parents now a days.
This is an opinion piece, and the authors admit they have no expertise in child safety. I'll stick with the findings of experts in the field.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I try to keep snacks in the car so the children don't resort to eating the car seats. The article fails to mention in what way they pose a risk to the occupant.
I believe they think they absorb through the skin or they breath them in. IDRK. lol

This is an opinion piece, and the authors admit they have no expertise in child safety. I'll stick with the findings of experts in the field.
Oh yeah, I know. That was the point, there is so many things to weed through nowadays. You just have to do what feels right and live your life.
Car seats are good, bad, not used right, not used, used to long, smell, don't smell, are toxic, aren't flame resistant enough, etc. etc.
I just feel a bit sorry for the new mommies now, that's all. It was a bit easier for my generation. I posted the ridiculous to prove that, not for people to take it as a real concern. Sorry, should have been more clear about my intentions. Don't want to start a new debate on smelly car seats. lol

Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I know, according to the guidelines, kids should stay in boosters until they are 80lbs... My oldest is 9 and not even 50lbs yet, she will be in high school in a booster!
Here in PA they go by age, which as I said previously is just ridiculous, but it seems that is what everyone follows for the most part. My kids are in boosters and will remain for a very long time. My 6 yr old just got out of her 5pt harness...
On a funny note my 17 year old daughter is 90lbs, 5 ft. lol I guess I should strap her in still to be safe but she's driving the car. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting