U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,817,306 times

Advertisements

Well you don't expect her to scale back her hobby just because she had a baby do you? What a moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 AM

6,009 posts, read 4,947,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Yes. Crazy.
And I'd like this mom to explain how she fed her when she was a few months old.
Maybe she fed her caterpillars or ants that she found on the way up?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,512,420 times
I see no problem. She is using a rope "top rope"

If she fell she isn't going any where.
Top roping is very safe, it's probably safer than riding in a car or skinning or riding your bike with your kid strapped to your back.

I've been rock climbing for 32years.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I see no problem. She is using a rope "top rope"

If she fell she isn't going any where.
Top roping is very safe, it's probably safer than riding in a car or skinning or riding your bike with your kid strapped to your back.

I've been rock climbing for 32years.
Is she "top roping" in this picture? And if so, what makes it so safe? Jw

Menna Pritchard, 26, defends rock climbing with TODDLER strapped to her back | Mail Online

She should at VERY least put a helmet on her kid. And if they don't make them that small, she should just wait until her kid's head is big enough to fit into the smallest size.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:31 AM

15,294 posts, read 16,849,408 times
Anyone notice the look on the child's face? She does not look very happy.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Anyone notice the look on the child's face? She does not look very happy.
Ehh, it was photoshopped that way. Who wouldn't be happy in that situation?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,235,817 times
I have done a bit of rock climbing. No helmet is BAD. And man if she flipped what prevents the kid from dumping out of the stupid pack?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,095,925 times
I don't think this should be allowed, in any country. The choice you make for yourself is on thing, but she should not be allowed to make that choice for her toddler.

It really made me mad to see that this beautiful girl didn't have a helmet on.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 PM

3,869 posts, read 12,512,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Is she "top roping" in this picture? And if so, what makes it so safe? Jw

Menna Pritchard, 26, defends rock climbing with TODDLER strapped to her back | Mail Online

She should at VERY least put a helmet on her kid. And if they don't make them that small, she should just wait until her kid's head is big enough to fit into the smallest size.
I agree it does look bad that mom and the belayer are wearing helmets and the kid is not.

Helmets are a personal decision and may not save your life. They just might give you a an unrealistic feeling, that of being safe.
Do you put a helmet on your kids when you put then in your car? Why not?
Thank god, you still can go out and enjoy life with out having to be wrapped up in bubble-rap.

Top roping the rope is already on top and safely affixed. She is being belayed by a 2nd person who controls the rope.
She is not lead climbing where if you fell you could fall some distance, when top roping if you should fall you may fall only a few inches to a foot or two.

Last edited by snofarmer; 02-01-2012 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM

On helmets:

It isn't the idea of her falling and hitting her head on something that makes me say she should wear a helmet. Truth be told, a helmet probably won't do much good if you fall from a considerable distance (especially not for a toddler). However, climbers quoted in the link I put up here (and a couple of people here as well) mention the danger of rocks falling from ABOVE, and particularly in this case...

"But other climbers said the limestone rock face at Three Cliffs Bay, on the Gower peninsula near Swansea, was notorious for breaking off and falling"

This highlights how easy it is for someone, no matter how safety-conscious they proclaim themselves to be, to overlook something. And speaking of which, I googled "how safe is top roping" and found an interesting site:

http://www.innergycoaching.com/goclimb511/gc-101tr.php

To be fair, despite the title, there aren't 101 precautions. There are 56.

But 56 things that can still go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or