U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:31 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times

Advertisements

Anybody like to guess how many American mothers let their kids play high school football?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 04:05 AM

6,009 posts, read 4,944,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody like to guess how many American mothers let their kids play high school football?
A high school student choosing to play football (in which he is required to wear a helmet at very least) is not quite the same as a toddler having NO choice and no helmet. Further, while I know there is considerable risk of serious injury, there are also many benefits to playing sports in high school, whereas the toddler really can't benefit any more from being carried up a mountain than they can by sitting outside in a park.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 AM

11,229 posts, read 9,228,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I thank my lucky stars that it is very unlikely that I will have to face a child asking to play football!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:29 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
A high school student choosing to play football (in which he is required to wear a helmet at very least) is not quite the same as a toddler having NO choice and no helmet. Further, while I know there is considerable risk of serious injury, there are also many benefits to playing sports in high school, whereas the toddler really can't benefit any more from being carried up a mountain than they can by sitting outside in a park.
There is a reason why a student cannot play in a high school football game, or even practice with the team, without his parents' signed permission. Every HS football player in the USA is playing with his mother's expressed consent, and the risk is on the mother's shoulders. It's not the student's choice.

You seem to be implying that if the toddler "chooses" to be carried up the mountain, it would be OK. It is a sad reflection of the sorry state of our society, that a toddler would rather be parked in a daycare center in front of the cartoon channel, than carried by her mother. And even worse, that you WANT it to be that way.

A child falling from a bicycle in an approved carrier is at greater risk than a child falling with a top-rope on a rock face in her mother's front carrier. The form of rock climbing being done by the mother in this article is probably safer than riding a bicycle in traffic surrounded by cars and truck being driven by texting drivers at road speeds, but I don't hear you screaming that bike-riding moms are grossly and irresponsibly endangering their tots, and demanding that it be stopped.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-04-2012 at 07:47 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 AM

27,244 posts, read 15,033,121 times
Dang, I'm not genius but climbing up a big rock with a toddler strapped to myback just doesn't seem very smart to me. I'm thinking it must not be all that popular for mom's to do - or it would not be article worthy.

I remember my boating friends used to drive me crazy too - sometimes. I can remember one friend in particular with her baby in the bouncy seat - seated at the very edge of the boat dock. I could see just one wrong bounce and the whole thing going in - baby and all - into the murky water. Finally, her husband said something. Just careless.

That's a precious life we are responsible for . . it calls for some careful thought.

And I would never encourage my son to play football; nor would I have absolutely forbid it if he begged me to do it. But - he was a smart guy. "Mom, I'd get killed' ~ when his friends asked if he wanted to play. He was never the biggest boy on the block. He was smart enough to know and old enough to reason it out.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:53 AM

You know I gave this some thought. The lack of helmet is just stupid. But I have a buddy who is a REALLY good rock climber as is his wife. The guy leads climbs rated 5 12 (don't know if i am noting that correctly). If he topped some 5 6 with a kid on his back it would be the equivalent of me walking down the grocery store aisle with a toddler on my back.

We really don't know.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,502,193 times
She could have fallen just walking to the crag and killed her daughter. They could have had a auto accident on the way to the crag and the whole family could have died.

Is rock climbing 100% safe no. I guess you could spend your life in a concrete bunker and hide from life.

Folks ride bikes, Rollerblade, ski, snowboard with there kids strapped to their backs. A helmet is no guarantee you or your kid will not be injured or killed. It just helps with the decision, open or closed, service.

I've claimed in areas that have a lot of loose rucks, call me and a group that I climb with lucky because none of us have been struck by a falling rock nor do we wear helmets. We did one time but it was early spring and there was a lot of falling ice.
I've been rock climbing for 31 years.

There is a grater chance she gets hurt in a auto accident than hurt rock climbing.

Love life don't spend it in a protective bubble
and criticize others for living it the way that they chose to.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I've claimed in areas that have a lot of loose rucks, call me and a group that I climb with lucky because none of us have been struck by a falling rock nor do we wear helmets. We did one time but it was early spring and there was a lot of falling ice.
Yes, luck. No offense, snofarmer, climbing without a helmet is just dumb. Having your toddler out there without a helmet and hoping to luck is just dumb.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 AM

"It isn't the idea of her falling and hitting her head on something that makes me say she should wear a helmet."

That is the problem folks don't know much about the different methods of rock climbing.
They are "top" roping not lead climbing where there is a risk of injury from falling.
She is being top roped, the length of her fall can be limited to just a few inches by a belayer who is paying attention.

The risk of injury in a fall almost zero, as she could lose a finger nail in the "fall"

Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Yes, luck. No offense, snofarmer, climbing without a helmet is just dumb. Having your toddler out there without a helmet and hoping to luck is just dumb.
No offense taken. It is a choice one that should not be mandated by law or public opinion.
It's Safer that riding a motorcycle.
Safety is very subjective.
To the layperson rock climbing in all it's forms looks dangerous.

Highchair Hazards

Fall and choking hazards are the primary dangers associated with high chairs. Defects in the seat restraints, tray attachment, or seat backing, may present a fall hazard resulting in injuries such as bumps, bruises, or cuts. In more serious instances, a fall from a high chair could result in concussions, broken bones, or even death. In addition, small parts or screws that may become detached from a high chair can present a choking hazard.

Live life or hide from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or