Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Eye opening video demonstrating what is in our hamburger meat. McDonalds says they don't use pink slime anymore but what about our school lunches?

U.S. News - McDonald's drops use of gooey ammonia-based 'pink slime' in hamburger meat

Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
Good for Jamie Oliver. And, shame on the LA school system for not allowing him to come in (free of charge) to upgrade their school food system.

School lunches have been disgusting since I was a kid in the 80s. Most meals are a mix of processed government-supplied crap, high in calories and low in nutrition. Frozen pizza, tater tot, chicken patties, burgers with the aforementioned pink slime, etc. The sad part is that for many poor children free school lunch the only chance they have to eat a hot nutritious meal.

Michelle Obama hoped push some reforms through; they were passed into law last week. But they don't do anything to address the mystery meat and low-nutrition food like fries. At least it's a start.

I'd really encourage parents everywhere to petition your schools for change. Until this year, our school cafeteria served the same slop as most U.S. schools. When the cafeteria director retired after about 25 years on the job, they hired a young chef who is passionate about nutrition.

First, he got rid of all the processed garbage (he donated it to a foodshelf). Then he switched to an all-natural menu that still appeals to kids. My girls love his homemade pizzas with veggie toppings, his homemade soups and quiches and just about everything else he makes.

He also has "tastings" where kids can sample new items and offer feedback so he can tweak his recipes before he serves them. He's completely turned our cafeteria around.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:45 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post

I'd really encourage parents everywhere to petition your schools for change. Until this year, our school cafeteria served the same slop as most U.S. schools. When the cafeteria director retired after about 25 years on the job, they hired a young chef who is passionate about nutrition.

First, he got rid of all the processed garbage (he donated it to a foodshelf). Then he switched to an all-natural menu that still appeals to kids. My girls love his homemade pizzas with veggie toppings, his homemade soups and quiches and just about everything else he makes.

He also has "tastings" where kids can sample new items and offer feedback so he can tweak his recipes before he serves them. He's completely turned our cafeteria around.
How many kids are in your school, though? It's a great idea for smaller schools but not very practical for bigger schools. Our elementary school has 1000 kids and I think it's amazing that they manage to offer three choices of meals every day (one is always a salad option).

Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
How many kids are in your school, though? It's a great idea for smaller schools but not very practical for bigger schools. Our elementary school has 1000 kids and I think it's amazing that they manage to offer three choices of meals every day (one is always a salad option).
Our elementary school has about 350 kids. I've heard that about 50 percent qualify for free or reduced lunch, but I don't know how many sign up for it. (the school gets govt $ for every kid signed up and the chef uses it to buy healthy food rather than accepting the govt food, which some schools take instead of the cash).

You're right. It would be hard to implement in a large school, but I've seen Jamie Oliver do it in some very large schools in Texas when he had his special TV series on the topic last year.

The key is to get the food-services staff on board. When our new chef took over, half the staff quit b/c they didn't want to spend time chopping veggies and doing the more labor intensive prep work.

I've read that school lunches are much healthier in Europe and industrialized Asian countries where the student populations can be quite high, so there must be a way to do it at the larger schools in the U.S. It would just take a whole new mindset, from the govt food subsidy programs to the food services staff at the schools.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Good for Jamie Oliver. And, shame on the LA school system for not allowing him to come in (free of charge) to upgrade their school food system.

School lunches have been disgusting since I was a kid in the 80s. Most meals are a mix of processed government-supplied crap, high in calories and low in nutrition. Frozen pizza, tater tot, chicken patties, burgers with the aforementioned pink slime, etc. The sad part is that for many poor children free school lunch the only chance they have to eat a hot nutritious meal.

Michelle Obama hoped push some reforms through; they were passed into law last week. But they don't do anything to address the mystery meat and low-nutrition food like fries. At least it's a start.

LAUSD did change the menu to one that is much healthier this year. Students are throwing away the food. LAUSD Students Roundly Reject Healthier School Lunch Menu « CBS Los Angeles

Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
LAUSD did change the menu to one that is much healthier this year. Students are throwing away the food. LAUSD Students Roundly Reject Healthier School Lunch Menu « CBS Los Angeles
That's not surprising, since they are not giving the students healthier versions of the food they like (that should always be the first step). You cannot change kids tastes overnight. Also, you have to begin educating kids on healthy choices from the very beginning (preK or K) and you probably need to educate parents too. It would be interesting to get parents on board by providing a way to garden so that they could get healthy food inexpensively.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
I agree that the change was way too drastic. That is not the way to get kids eating healthier at all.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
of course the best solution is to start our children off with good nutrition from the get go. Making separate meals for a picky eater is a big mistake. My kids friends can't believe they have never set food in a McDonalds in their lives. Now we have been to plenty of restaurants in our family but I plan it so they/we aren't caught away from home without the right kind of food. It takes a bit of planning but it is worth it. I can take these kids to any home or restaurant and know they will pick something healthy and tasty. And we are not vegan.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
This is why I make my kids' lunches. Peanut butter on multigrain with an apple, carrot sticks, and milk is not an expensive lunch.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
This is already a topic over in the Food forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting