U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Huh, I don't understand your post.
You are the one who showed the VAERS, that is how you can find out the side effects from the vaccine. People. People getting the shot and then if they get ill from it reporting it. Or, in some cases, a lawsuit by people if the damage is wide spread and covers a group. That is the only way to find out over time if this shot or any other new meds have adverse side effects you aren't willing to risk. Maybe the news picks it up but better to keep checking yourself if you are considering the vaccine.
The link was given by you. It answered the posters question. I quoted your link so I thought it right to give a reference. That's all. I think others know you don't agree with me, don't worry.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,890,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
But you are glad they came up with one for Polio, and Smallpox? Probably be nice if there was one for HIV, even Herpes?

What's wrong with coming up with vaccines that make a huge difference in the health and quality of life of the population?
What's wrong with this is what is wrong with the shots, themselves and what is wrong with the barrage of shots against young bodies. They are administered in cocktails because of the establishment's fear that the recipients would otherwise fail to keep coming back for all of the shots.

Lives are damaged forever, by the shots much too often. Whole families have their lives altered forever and in very bad ways. This is a crime if it's one or two, but it's thousands upon thousands.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM

870 posts, read 1,217,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What has breast cancer got to do with it? And if breast cancer could be prevented with a vaccine you would not take it? Really?
Breast cancer has nothing to do with it, i was using it as an example.

If it had only been conceptualized for less than 20 years, tested for 10, and actually give to the public for 6, then no i wouldnt take it. Im sorry, breast cancer runs in my family but I am not going to take a "new" medicine that is a miracle cure until I feel personally it has been around long enough to prove that 20 years down the road Im not going to get liver cancer or brain cancer from the supposed miracle vaccine.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:24 PM

21,494 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Of course the number of doses is relevant.
If 20 million people get vaccinated and we follow those 20 million for one year that gives a very comprehensive look at any potential short term effects, soreness, fainting, headaches, death, whatever. But following 20 million people for 1 year still doesnt tell me what happens in ten years. Upping the amount of people being observed does not speed up time. 20 million for 1 year is still only 1 year.
You are making the assumption that all the serious complications will only show up after many years. For some people, complications, if they occur, will happen sooner than for other people. By observing millions of people, those complications do show up sooner in the entire population.

If the complication is very rare, you might follow a small population forever and never see it. It will only become apparent at all in a larger population.

That is why drugs are monitored even after they have been approved by the FDA.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:26 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,711,659 times
Quote:
Wait until he is 14 to give the vaccine and it may be too late, no matter how well you think you know him. Our kids sometime do stupid things, no matter how much we warn them not to.
Whether our kids become sexually active at 12, 16,18 or older is not relevant. Nearly 100% of people become sexually active at some point in their life. We are not raising our children to protect them only when they are 12 or 14 but for their entire life. A person does not have to have many sexual partners to be exposed to HPV. All it takes is ONE PERSON.

I am going to talk to my pediatrician about whether my sons should have this vaccine (they are 12, 15, 17). Since my oldest will be 18 this month I will let him decide whether he wants it.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:28 PM

870 posts, read 1,217,228 times
Quote:
You are making the assumption that all the serious complications will only show up after many years. For some people, complications, if they occur, will happen sooner than for other people. By observing millions of people, those complications do show up sooner in the entire population.

If the complication is very rare, you might follow a small population forever and never see it. It will only become apparent at all in a larger population.

That is why drugs are monitored even after they have been approved by the FDA.
And I say, please do take your medicine. Its your choice. I try and make good decisions for my child and family and at this juncture this is what I choose. You can take any medicine you want that comes down the pike, if my son at some point as a teen asks for this or that medicine we will discuss it and make an informed decision at that time even if it is different or the same as the one im making now. I wouldnt deny him the right to make medical choices for himself when he is old enough to make informed decision. But for now I decide and he isnt getting it right now.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,723,723 times
Quote:
And I say, please do take your medicine. Its your choice. I try and make good decisions for my child and family and at this juncture this is what I choose. You can take any medicine you want that comes down the pike, if my son at some point as a teen asks for this or that medicine we will discuss it and make an informed decision at that time even if it is different or the same as the one im making now. I wouldnt deny him the right to make medical choices for himself when he is old enough to make informed decision. But for now I decide and he isnt getting it right now.
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I have to ask, what is the point of that? He's not getting it right now because he's 4. Why make a decision now that you don't have to make for another 8 years, at least?

I do think it's great that you guys will discuss it. That's something that's important, IMO.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You base the health care decisions you make for you and your children on "lawsuits and complaints"? And you consider that the "only way"?

Really?
Better than the drug company selling it, yes, I base it on other peoples reactions and "well being" after taking the shot. See above answer.

Why wouldn't I? They are testing it out, reporting their results, why wouldn't I take a look at that. Then, based on numbers decide. If only 100 people out of millions get ill I'd get it. If 100 out of 100,000 get ill, I'd think about it, not that many get cervical cancer. If 100 out of 5000 got ill, I wouldn't get it. See how that works for me.
If you read the clinical statements on this vaccine they are full of "could", "maybe marker for cancer", "presumed", it isn't as if they say we know for sure and I'm ignoring it. They don't. So, how do you? If the people who make it don't, how do you know it will actually prevent cervical cancer cases? The answer isn't a guess, you don't know until you see a large group of people followed through their life time. So, how do you know my kids will be spreading the risk for cancer? You don't. We get benign viruses all the time, it's the cancer part of this equation that is making people freak out.

Here, this makes more sense to me and covers a larger number of cancers. Being fat, smoking, living in a high polluted city and sitting on ones ass has been followed for a number of years and looks like a safe bet. Been studied for a long time now.
Twelve Changes That Will Cut Your Cancer Risk in Half 4/13/05
This I will gladly pass on to my kids, and hey, maybe they can pass on these good habits to yours.
The hpv vaccine, I'm not so sure yet. If you are sure then go for it. I need more time.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
You are the one who showed the VAERS, that is how you can find out the side effects from the vaccine. People. People getting the shot and then if they get ill from it reporting it. Or, in some cases, a lawsuit by people if the damage is wide spread and covers a group. That is the only way to find out over time if this shot or any other new meds have adverse side effects you aren't willing to risk. Maybe the news picks it up but better to keep checking yourself if you are considering the vaccine.
The link was given by you. It answered the posters question. I quoted your link so I thought it right to give a reference. That's all. I think others know you don't agree with me, don't worry.
It has nothing to do with whether or not we agree, I just didn't understand your post.

And your understanding of VAERS is not correct. People record what they consider to be vaccine reactions. They may be because of vaccines, and they may be caused by something else entirely. The outcomes of investigations into the symptoms reported are not displayed. It is merely a recording system.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:46 PM

21,494 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Breast cancer has nothing to do with it, i was using it as an example.

If it had only been conceptualized for less than 20 years, tested for 10, and actually give to the public for 6, then no i wouldnt take it. Im sorry, breast cancer runs in my family but I am not going to take a "new" medicine that is a miracle cure until I feel personally it has been around long enough to prove that 20 years down the road Im not going to get liver cancer or brain cancer from the supposed miracle vaccine.
So you will deny yourself and your family the benefit of any medical technology that is not at least twenty years old?

http://news.uga.edu/releases/article...ancer-in-mice/

Let us now leave breast cancer out of the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting