U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,836 posts, read 42,987,031 times
Reputation: 57648

Advertisements

My children are all up and raised. However, I will give my opinion anyway. No way in hell would I go to the expense of this vaccine for my daughter or my sons, unless I knew they were promiscuous.
Parents whose kids are promiscuous don't take proper care of their children, so won't get the vaccine either.

 
Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 PM
 
2,159 posts, read 3,746,368 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Vaccines do not absolutely prevent you from becoming infected. What they do do is GREATLY reduce the probability of becoming infected, and the severity if you do. I suspect you already know this though.
So you agree then that if your child is already vaccinated and still ends up with say, HPV, you are going to point fingers just to find someone to blame?? (At least that is the way it seemed with your last comment) Nothing is guaranteed 100%, it is a fact of life. Cancer is not something ANYONE wants, and would love to never get, but unfortunately with the way our environment is, the way food is grown and manufactured, down to plastic being used to heat up food in the microwave and then eat it right out of the container, ALL of us are exposed to something that is greatly increasing our odds to get some form of cancer.

If someone is concerned about getting HPV virus that will then turn into infection then cancer, then that person has to be responsible for themselves. Just like they have to be responsible in knowing that the person they are shacking up with MAY or MAY not have an STD, or maybe that they slept with someone who did. Everyone who is sexually active is taking a risk every time they have sex- if they get pregnant or get an STD- I don't even care if you are in a committed relationship. It is ALWAYS a risk. You have to be responsible for yourself and not depend on the other person to be so, and if you arent responsible for yourself and your actions, then, part of the outcome is on you as well.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 PM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,272,330 times
Reputation: 14658
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My children are all up and raised. However, I will give my opinion anyway. No way in hell would I go to the expense of this vaccine for my daughter or my sons, unless I knew they were promiscuous.
Parents whose kids are promiscuous don't take proper care of their children, so won't get the vaccine either.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM
 
Location: BK All Day
4,480 posts, read 8,350,126 times
Reputation: 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My children are all up and raised. However, I will give my opinion anyway. No way in hell would I go to the expense of this vaccine for my daughter or my sons, unless I knew they were promiscuous.
Parents whose kids are promiscuous don't take proper care of their children, so won't get the vaccine either.
Funny, my mom took great care of me. I still got it.

Are you calling me promiscuous?

If this is your actual way of thinking I have a lot of pity that someone so ignorant and thick headed has reproduced and is spreading their idiocy onto poor children.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,836 posts, read 42,987,031 times
Reputation: 57648
So you really think 9 year olds need vaccine for sexually transmitted diseases? I don't.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
 
Location: BK All Day
4,480 posts, read 8,350,126 times
Reputation: 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So you really think 9 year olds need vaccine for sexually transmitted diseases? I don't.
I do indeed.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
 
Location: here
24,483 posts, read 28,851,362 times
Reputation: 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My children are all up and raised. However, I will give my opinion anyway. No way in hell would I go to the expense of this vaccine for my daughter or my sons, unless I knew they were promiscuous.
Parents whose kids are promiscuous don't take proper care of their children, so won't get the vaccine either.
um wow.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,272,330 times
Reputation: 14658
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So you really think 9 year olds need vaccine for sexually transmitted diseases? I don't.

I have done a lot of reading. I remember being a kid. I remember "playing doctor" no joke at quite a young age. It seems that there is reason to suspect that penetration is not required for transmission.

Is the big deal that people are tweaked about is because sex is involved? I don't get it.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,976 posts, read 11,835,507 times
Reputation: 14681
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
So you agree then that if your child is already vaccinated and still ends up with say, HPV, you are going to point fingers just to find someone to blame?? (At least that is the way it seemed with your last comment) Nothing is guaranteed 100%, it is a fact of life. Cancer is not something ANYONE wants, and would love to never get, but unfortunately with the way our environment is, the way food is grown and manufactured, down to plastic being used to heat up food in the microwave and then eat it right out of the container, ALL of us are exposed to something that is greatly increasing our odds to get some form of cancer.
What? You vaccinate your children, so I am failing to understand your point here. No vaccine is 100%. Most recent epidemics (regardless of the disease) are started by those who are unvaccinated. That is a fact. Would I point fingers just to find someone to blame....umm, no, there would be no need, as the infected source would be identified. No need to point fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
If someone is concerned about getting HPV virus that will then turn into infection then cancer, then that person has to be responsible for themselves. Just like they have to be responsible in knowing that the person they are shacking up with MAY or MAY not have an STD, or maybe that they slept with someone who did. Everyone who is sexually active is taking a risk every time they have sex- if they get pregnant or get an STD- I don't even care if you are in a committed relationship. It is ALWAYS a risk. You have to be responsible for yourself and not depend on the other person to be so, and if you arent responsible for yourself and your actions, then, part of the outcome is on you as well.
That may be true in the case of HPV, but not so with vaccine-preventable illness generally speaking, and especially regarding newborns, the elderly, the immunocompromised, etc.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,611 posts, read 26,294,002 times
Reputation: 26686
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Suzy Q:The vaccine has been shown to prevent infection with the strains of HPV in the vaccine and cervical dysplasia in women. It is incorrect to say it has shown "no proof of preventing anything yet."

Poppysead: No, I mean it hasn't proven to prevent cervical cancers. I don't know who your trying to fool, nobody would get this shot for a benign virus that doesn't cause cancer.

Suzy Q: Do you have any pages showing the HPV vaccine does not prevent infection with the HPV strains in the vaccine? Please provide links.

Poppysead: Do you have any pages showing it actually prevents cervical cancer? Even on the commercials they say it "may" which means they don't know if it "will".
You do not understand how cervical cancer, and the other cancers with which HPV is associated, develop. They do not pop up overnight. They arise after a series of predictable changes in the tissue, and the changes can take years to progress. Cervical cancer is preceded by a condition called "cervical intraepithelial neoplasia", or CIN for short. CIN is graded on a scale of I to III, with II and III usually being treated. "I" is usually just watched. You do not get cervical cancer by skipping the CIN steps. That is why Pap smears work. They pick up cells from the CIN before the cancer develops.

HPV vaccines have been shown to prevent CIN. If you can prevent CIN, you can prevent cancer.

The equivocation you see with words like "may" in commercials has to do with what happens when lawyers get hold of things, not the science.

The studies done with the vaccine have used CIN as a "surrogate end point" for cancer. Think of it as a "stand in."

If you prevent CIN, you can prevent cancer. We do not have to wait decades to "prove" the vaccines will prevent cancer.

We do need for people to understand that women will still need to get Pap smears. there are cancer causing strains of HPV that are not covered by the vaccines.

Quote:
Suzy Q: Since the vaccines do work, it is not necessary to "scare" people into using them. What is happening is that people who do not know what they are talking about are trying to scare people into not using them.

Poppysead: Who is doing that? I didn't say or do that. I am only fighting for my choice to wait until I deem it a safe vaccine. You are the one rushing the use of a vaccine, some are simply defending their reasons to not rush to judgement on this vaccine.
What are you basing your decision about safety on? The scientific evidence is in favor of the vaccines. How long does the vaccine have to be available before you deem it is safe?

Quote:
Suzy QTylenol is off topic. Doctors have known for a long time that too much can cause liver damage. The problem is people who do not follow directions for taking it properly. That is the reason for the new labeling.

Poppysead:Not true. Tylenol May Cause Serious Liver Damage
And if it were, say the doctors have known for a long time but the public just found out then that's just as questionable and another reason you need to take your health and meds a bit more seriously. Do your homework. Some people do more homework buying a new car than they do on their health.
This is a diversion and unrelated to HPV.

Does therapeutic use of acetaminophen cause ... [Pharmacotherapy. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

This review shows that if you take Tylenol properly, you will not get liver failure.

The concern with Tylenol is because some people unfortunately do not follow the directions for use over the counter drugs.

When you do your homework, it is important to consider the source of the information you are using to make your decisions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I said we don't know! Stop with the assumptions already, I have said in almost every post I've made that we don't know yet. Not that it is true or not, but that it isn't true that you know for sure it prevents any cervical cancer. There is a difference.
This whole uprising is because I said I'll wait and see, I don't feel confident yet.
But the scientists who have developed the vaccines are confident. That is because they understand the physiology of these cancers.

It is all well and good to say you want to make an informed decision about having your children vaccinated. it is unwise to base that decision on a faulty understanding of the physiology of the cancers the vaccines can prevent.

Quote:
How that translated into killing others children I'll never know.
I am not the one that made that comment. However, if you choose not to vaccinate your children, you are making a decision that in the future may have an impact on your children's sexual partners. Your child could get infected with HPV and give it to a partner. That is just a fact, Infectious Disease 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top