Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I don't know who he is really, I just picked one of the hundreds of google sites on a good diet, exercise and other good stuff to help you prevent dreaded illnesses.
Thanks, I was just curious.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I am still on the fence about this for girls or boys.

First, if you get the HPV vaccine it lowers your chances of cervical cancer in girls but early detection plays a big role whether you get the vaccine or not. The reason I say this is because cervical cancer is not preventable just like any other cancer but you can lower your risks. I went to the Gyno a few months ago and had a scare. But my doctor told me that because I had a pap smear every year that it can be detected early. Now without going through all the details, they actually removed a precancerous tissue from my cervix that was so small it wasn't detectable to the human eye. The doctor just removed and asked me to follow up in 6 months. The doctor basically said it was gone. Would it work the same way if I had gotten the HPV? I am in my 30's.
There are many cases of women developing cancer between pap smears. Some have been posted on the various HPV forums here on CD. Nothing is foolproof. Getting the vaccine will greatly reduce the risks of getting cancer. It is still necessary to get an annual pap, and frankly, good practice to go to the dr. once a year.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Did your doctor test you for HPV? Many do an HPV test along with the Pap smear. It is done on the same specimen. Normally, it is just reported as "high risk" or "low risk" HPV.

If you tested positive for "high risk", it could have been one of the strains in the vaccine or possibly a strain that is not covered by the vaccine.

However, due to your age, you quite possibly were infected before the vaccine was made available.

At this point, just follow your doctor's advice and continue to have regular Pap smears.

With the HPV vaccines, cancers due to the strains in the vaccine are preventable. Women who take the vaccine still need Pap smears because there are HPV strains that are not covered by the vaccine. The vaccine prevents about three fourths of cancer associated infections.

Yes, he tested me. It was negative. I would go every year, then skip a year or 2, then repeat. Now, since I had that little pre-cancerous tissue, I have to go back in 6 months to make sure everything is good.

I think I will favorably consider it for my daughters when the time comes.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:06 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
I don't have any sons. My pediatrician wanted to give my dd the female version of this shot when she turned 10. I asked if we could wait as the immunization was still quite new. Pediatrician was OK with it and will give her the shot at age 12 (I believe it's a series of shots).

Even though I would prefer dd to abstain until marriage, I don't have a problem with the shot b/c:
1) She'll be protected if she does have sex.
2) What if she abstains, but marries someone who has been sexually active and been exposed to HPV?
3) There aren't any other immunizations that protect against cancer so why not take advantage of one that will protect a form of the disease that's particularly deadly to women?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I don't have any sons. My pediatrician wanted to give my dd the female version of this shot when she turned 10. I asked if we could wait as the immunization was still quite new. Pediatrician was OK with it and will give her the shot at age 12 (I believe it's a series of shots).

Even though I would prefer dd to abstain until marriage, I don't have a problem with the shot b/c:
1) She'll be protected if she does have sex.
2) What if she abstains, but marries someone who has been sexually active and been exposed to HPV?
3) There aren't any other immunizations that protect against cancer so why not take advantage of one that will protect a form of the disease that's particularly deadly to women?
This is a very good point.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
"Getting the vaccine will greatly reduce the risks of getting cancer."

This cannot possibly be true.

There are what, over 100 HPV viruses and innumerable variants of those viruses.

Last I read, the shot contains ONLY FOUR of them.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:24 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post

Yes, and if you had actually read even a single post in this thread, you would see all that information, and credible sources.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:

Those four strains are the ones that most commonly cause cancer. They are rarer strains of HPV but also much more harmful. Those are the strains currently vaccinated against. The vaccine currently doesn't work on all strains of HPV, but as others have pointed out, those more common strains are less likely to be deadly.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:32 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, and if you had actually read even a single post in this thread, you would see all that information, and credible sources.
Cute that this is ALL you could say to me, and could not resist saying...because truth is....no, it is not true that the shot can

"greatly reduce" the chances of cancer.

Thank you for further making my point.

Further, it remains true that way, too many girls have been seriously damaged BY the shot.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
[COLOR=sienna]Cute that this is ALL you could say to me, and could not resist saying...because truth is....no, it is not true that the shot can[/color]

"greatly reduce" the chances of cancer.

Thank you for further making my point.

Further, it remains true that way, too many girls have been seriously damaged BY the shot.
Funny, that's what I was thinking, that's all she has to say? when you said "that can't be true." Of course it can be true, as Julia explained above. Some people just aren't very scientifically minded, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting