U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 PM

85,087 posts, read 99,190,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Poppy, you were afraid. That is OK. If you think you were afraid now, wait until you hand them the car keys for that first solo drive!

We always are afraid for our kids --- even when they are thirty somethings --- and we are still telling them to drive safely. Trust me on that.

But you are not stupid or an idiot, and we never thought you were.

If we have helped alleviate your fear, we are happy.

Perhaps the forum at its best.
Yes, mine are in their 20s, and I still worry about them. To tell you the truth, I was so tired of driving them places by the time they got their licenses, I was happy to let them drive themselves. I always worried until they got home, though. Then come the guys. (I'm not anti-male, I just know what can happen when guys and girls get together!) Then comes college, then young adulthood.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:07 PM

21,618 posts, read 26,307,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, when I worked for a health dept and we went into the schools to give immunizations to 6th graders, we did give them juice and cookies. I had kind of forgotten about that.

This just reminded me.

I have a dog who takes insulin twice a day. She eats all her food and stands quietly while she gets her shot --- because she knows that after the shot she will get her thyroid pill wrapped in a little bit of bread.

A little bribery goes a long way!

Make them good cookies!

I was disappointed the last time I gave blood. No Nutter Butters!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,582,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Poppy, you were afraid. That is OK. If you think you were afraid now, wait until you hand them the car keys for that first solo drive!

We always are afraid for our kids --- even when they are thirty somethings --- and we are still telling them to drive safely. Trust me on that.

But you are not stupid or an idiot, and we never thought you were.

If we have helped alleviate your fear, we are happy.

Perhaps the forum at its best.
Yes, public forums can sometimes be the best source of information for things like getting your son a vaccine or cancer advise. I use them for important information all the time. You know me. In deed a bunch of strangers on a forum at their best!

Guess you'll just have to stick to the topic of vaccines on this one. Too bad. I bet you have some terrific advice for how I can handle my kids driving. I'll be very very afraid then as well and I'm sure just as ignorant as I've been with medical issues and my kids. Well, see ya round cd I'm sure! Thanks again, it's been an eye opening experience.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,840,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yes, public forums can sometimes be the best source of information for things like getting your son a vaccine or cancer advise. I use them for important information all the time. You know me. In deed a bunch of strangers on a forum at their best!

Guess you'll just have to stick to the topic of vaccines on this one. Too bad. I bet you have some terrific advice for how I can handle my kids driving. I'll be very very afraid then as well and I'm sure just as ignorant as I've been with medical issues and my kids. Well, see ya round cd I'm sure! Thanks again, it's been an eye opening experience.
The "information" in this thread has been links to current, legitimate information pertinent to the topic of this thread.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 AM

21,618 posts, read 26,307,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The "information" in this thread has been links to current, legitimate information pertinent to the topic of this thread.
I think Poppy means driving lessons.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:26 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,812,796 times
Sorry guys, you still haven't convinced me that this vaccine is proven to do what it claims and if it did, is worth the risks (this is an anti viral vaccine. We're in untested water here.). Given teh fact that cervical cancers are most common in women over 40, we're looking at 30 years before we know if Gardasil had any impact at all. IMO, this is being pushed on the public prematurely. They should still be in the testing phase.

Most deaths from cervical cancer don't occur because the woman had HPV. They occur because she didn't get a pap smear. The spread of HPV is preventable and most of the issues treatable. Given that, I'll have my girls sit this one out. We'll see what happens to your daughters.

One of the more disturbing reports of effects of Gardisil is changes to the menstrual cycle. I'd like to, at least, know those won't cause fertility issues before I sign my kids up. IMO, we need, at least 10 more years of research on this vaccine AND vaccines against viruses in general before I'm signing my kids up.

FTR, I'm not afraid of vaccines. I opted to give my teens the menningitis vaccine at a cost of $100/shot to me. I'm just not sure this one is needed and see no point in subjecting my kids to this experiment. I don't think the risk to benefit ratio indicates that group vaccination is in order on this one...at least not in developed countries where routine pap smears can diagnose issues early. In developing countries where women don't have access to regular health screenings, where 80% of the deaths from cervical cancers occur, it might be a different story.

http://sanevax.org/wp-content/upload...-FINAL1221.pdf

"
[LEFT][/LEFT]
[SIZE=2]Cervical cancer is a rare disease in developed countries which invalidates the recommendations for universal immunization with any HPV vaccine. The incidence of cervical cancer has dropped substantially since implementation of regular Pap screening procedures. Currently, in the US, the death rate from cervical cancer (2.4/100,000 women) is lower than the rate of reported serious adverse events, including death, from Gardasil (3.34/100,000 doses distributed)" [/SIZE]

This quote sums up my feelings on this issue:

"[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Would a parent accept such a rate of serious adverse events if the same cancer prevention can occur with continued Pap screening? [/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Is there any acceptable level of risk of serious adverse events, including death, to prevent genital warts "[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]

The fact of the matter is, we have cut deaths due to cervical cancer by 74% with routine pap smears. Who knows what detection tests or treatments are to be developed in the next 30 or so years. Given the rate of increased detection and reduced deaths, I'm willing to bet that the risk of my dd's dying of cervical cancer would not go down enough to warrant the risks of an unproven anti viral vaccine. Because cervical cancers occur most often in women over 40, we are looking at decades before we know if Gardisal's assumption that HPV causes cancers and that Gardisil will prevent, possibly, 70% of them will pan out.

My fear is that women will have a false sense of security and stop getting pap smears. If that happens, the death rate due to cervical cancer will go up not down.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 02-05-2012 at 05:58 AM..

Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,275,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Sorry guys, you still haven't convinced me that this vaccine is proven to do what it claims and if it did, is worth the risks (this is an anti viral vaccine. We're in untested water here.).
Are you saying anti viral vaccines are untested water?

Existing antiviral vaccines. [Dermatol Ther. 2009 Mar-Apr] - PubMed - NCBI

You can't be saying that. But I can't figure out what else you can mean by that statement.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,275,917 times
Quote:
My fear is that women will have a false sense of security and stop getting pap smears. If that happens, the death rate due to cervical cancer will go up not down.
The false sense of security argument makes no sense to me. People are always going to make stupid choices. Advocating making one stupid choice in an attempt to forestall the risk of another makes no sense.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,582,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You are so right! Of course it has.
Figuring out how to curb a unpleasant side effect of the vaccine with funding by Gatorade would be awesome. Your like mini scientists on this thread. I mean if kids with hypotension get help from Gatorade or cookies and so do people who faint after donating blood then if kids are fainting after getting the hpv vaccine it would be logical to give them cookies and Gatorade. Fainting is fainting right.

If your study proves successful you can let them know down at Gardasil so that they can put new warnings and make it a standard practice. To bad you weren't there for the original study. Could have been useful. I'm sure they would like to have less fainting reported as a side effect, especially since a rise in fainting is sort of easy to prove.
Wow, you guys are smart.
Low blood pressure and giving blood didn't even seem related to a normal healthy kid getting a shot of hpv, unless maybe the after effect of the hpv shot lowers healthy kids blood pressure to low enough levels to cause fainting?
Nah, you're probably right, those teens just never eat enough and are always more anxiety prone, their just more afraid of this shot than others and the cookies and the gatorade will just relax them, remember to make them really tasty!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,236,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Ok ok, I'll go get my family the shot!
I admit it, I'm really afraid and stupid, strange how you knew that all along and now after all that work you have convinced me to go and shoot up the fam.
You've convinced me I'm an idiot and I'm afraid. I shouldn't listen to hear say or advice that isn't proven by an official study. I won't! Awesome! Well, here ya go. Have a great day. Thank you doctor, you're awesome!
For the last time: Nobody is telling you what to decide. Do whatever you want to do. Correcting misinformation does not equal pushing the vaccine. And honestly, the snarky posts just come off as obnoxious, IMO.

ETA: FWIW, there are actually a number of scientists and health professionals contributing to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting