U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM

9,280 posts, read 20,325,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nor do most people infected with polio develop paralysis. And who wants to have an HPV infection in the mouth anyway, cancer or no?
My hub was diagnosed HPV+ oral cancer 9/09 & has been cancer free for over 2 years. HPV+ has better cure rates then none HPV+ cancer.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM

21,627 posts, read 26,346,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My hub was diagnosed HPV+ oral cancer 9/09 & has been cancer free for over 2 years. HPV+ has better cure rates then none HPV+ cancer.
But wouldn't it be better to have no cancer at all? HPV vaccines can eliminate some of them --- perhaps the majority.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM

9,280 posts, read 20,325,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But wouldn't it be better to have no cancer at all? HPV vaccines can eliminate some of them --- perhaps the majority.
They don't know enough about the vaccine to know if it will even work or if boosters will be needed.

People vaccinating their tween now may be screwing themselves because something better could come along in the next year or 2.

And; not all HPV infections actually cause cancer. Pretty sure it's in the articles I linked to

Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 AM

21,627 posts, read 26,346,709 times
Quote:
They don't know enough about the vaccine to know if it will even work or if boosters will be needed.

People vaccinating their tween now may be screwing themselves because something better could come along in the next year or 2.

And; not all HPV infections actually cause cancer. Pretty sure it's in the articles I linked to
No, not all HPV infections cause cancer, but a high percentage of certain cancers, including genital and head and neck, are HPV associated. There is no way to know which people infected with high risk strains will get cancer and which will not. Therefore, it is advisable to prevent infection with high risk strains.

There is clear evidence that HPV vaccines do prevent infection with the strains in the vaccine. That is not the least bit in doubt.

There is a fairly short window of opportunity to use HPV vaccines, since they need to be given before the onset of sexual activity, including oral sex to prevent throat infections. Unless you are willing to remain totally sexually abstinent while you wait for something new, waiting is probably not a good idea.

Edited to add: so far there is no indication that boosters are needed. If they become needed, then they should be used. From ongoing studies of the people who were first to receive the vaccine, protection appears to be durable.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 PM

85,125 posts, read 99,277,101 times
Quote:

You could say that about any vaccine. When the old (relatively speaking) Prevnar 7 vaccine was improved to contain 13 strains of pneumococcal bacteria, all that was needed for previously immunized kids was a one-time booster.

Prior to 2001, smallpox vaccine remained unchanged for over a century. People waiting for "something better" would have died from smallpox first.

Update on Smallpox Vaccine.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 PM

840 posts, read 658,930 times
Nope. My kids will not get vaccinations. My son has never had one neither will the new one coming soon. My daughter had shots until she was 18 months nothing since then.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:48 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,569,498 times
Quote:

What I meant by saying phony excuses. None of those "reasons" make any sense. Just say you don't want it. Seriously. This makes you look like a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Nope. My kids will not get vaccinations. My son has never had one neither will the new one coming soon. My daughter had shots until she was 18 months nothing since then.
Why?

Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 PM

840 posts, read 658,930 times
Don't trust the vaccines,well what is PUT in them actually. My kids have been healthier without them then my daughter was when she was getting them.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,567,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
But what is the real argument against it? A small risk is still a risk. What is the downside to getting the vaccine?
Dunno yet, since it's only 6yrs old. How do we know this vac won't mutate DNA and cause our kids to birth mutated children, we don't.

Not to mention it only covers 4 types of HPV strains. ONLY 4. There are still other strains that cause warts and cancer that aren't covered; and I know too many ignorant girls (young women 16-25) that think they are covered from getting HPV totally cause of the shots, which is wrong.

Since Gardasil will not block infection with all of the HPV types that can cause cervical cancer, the vaccine should not be considered a substitute for routine pap smears.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:16 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,567,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
An osteopathic doctor is every bit as much of a physician as any other MD. I don't need to reread a thing.
You are correct, one of our local ER Docs is actually a DO, and he's wonderful and right on top of things. Truth be told, I would rather see him in an emergency situation than almost all of the other ER docs. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting