U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 AM

21,508 posts, read 26,116,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yes, this is really to each his own. Even on the ads for hpv vaccine they say MAY prevent cervical cancer because they really are just taking a stab in the dark.
Just like the flu vaccine. This year, surprise, the vaccine isn't working for seniors so now there is a new super shot and we will see again. You have to be responsible for your own health and the outcome.
Risky behavior is just that, risky, that includes getting every vaccine that comes out for anything, taking pills for whatever or having sex with someone you don't know is carrying a disease. It's all up to the individual.
There are risks in everything we do, eat, drink, smoke etc....we are going to get something, someday and then we are going to die. It sucks but that's life. I feel for anyone facing illness, everyone does I'm sure but that doesn't need to turn into fear.

There is a common misconception that the HPV vaccine protects against all types of HPV. Parents and children are misinformed and think they are being protected. It's just the tip of the ice burg, kids are still at risk for different strains of hpv even though they get the shot, it only covers 4 types and they don't know if those are the types that will give you cancer. So it's not a end all by any means. It doesn't mean they are now protected.

A scab increases your risk for cancer, any injury does.
No one says the HPV vaccines prevent all HPV infections. It is not necessary to prevent them all. The vaccines are specifically targeted to those strains that are most problematic. They are the types that cause cancer and, in the case of Gardasil, warts.

The HPV vaccines are predicted to prevent HPV associated cancers because people who take the vaccines do not get the precancerous cervical conditions that show up on Pap smears.

You are posting your misconceptions as if they are facts. What you are saying is not true.

And a "scab" and "any injuries" do not cause cancer.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,551,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No one says the HPV vaccines prevent all HPV infections. It is not necessary to prevent them all. The vaccines are specifically targeted to those strains that are most problematic. They are the types that cause cancer and, in the case of Gardasil, warts.

The HPV vaccines are predicted to prevent HPV associated cancers because people who take the vaccines do not get the precancerous cervical conditions that show up on Pap smears.
Like you said yourself, PREDICTED to prevent it. It doesn't PREVENT it. It MAY or it MAY NOT> they have no idea yet. They will just wait and see. Just like the flu vaccine. They pumped old people full of it for it would prevent the deadly flu but it didn't. New seniors' flu shot carries extra jolt for immune system
So now they are trying a new one and guess what, we will have to wait it out and see. Nothing is for sure with early medicine. I only stated that you as an individual should make the choice. If you do then great if you don't then that is up to you.

You are posting your misconceptions as if they are facts. What you are saying is not true.

And a "scab" and "any injuries" do not cause cancer.

This is good to know, I can throw out that bottle of toxic sunscreen, someone somewhere told me if I was burned to the point of scaring my chances of skin cancer where increased, oh ya, my silly doctor. I also think they are under the impression that lesions from hpv can turn into cancer as well, I'm not positive on that one, don't quote me.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:28 AM

15,757 posts, read 13,180,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
In the US, most D.O.s receive essentially the same postgraduate residency training as M.D.s and their practices are pretty much identical. Some D.O. programs in the past taught manipulations as the treatment for everything. I do not think that is true any more.
That maybe true now but not 20 yrs ago.

And I never said this woman wasn't a doctor or a physician but that does not make her an MD.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 AM

27,266 posts, read 15,048,153 times
A DO is a medical doctor and an MD is a medical doctor ~ I'm not seeing the problem here. Some DO's still practice manipulation ~ some do not. Both practice medicine.

But, back to the original topic, did I not read somewhere that the vaccine is less effective for boys? I'm not sure where I saw that.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,811,221 times
I think I might be the only one who is saying "maybe" to this vaccine. I do not think that either one of my kids will be engaging in sexual activity anytime in the near future so I'm taking a wait and watch approach.

I would not want to vaccinate a low risk preteen/early teen now, only to find out that immunity wears off in 6 years - right around the time (college age) that they would be most likely to benefit from/need immunity from this virus.

I must confess that the oral sex/mouth cancer aspect of this virus concerns and grosses me out....

I'm sorry to ask a stupid question - but could a person get this virus from kissing a person with an infected mouth? I don't think that is possible, but.....

Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,794,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
But, back to the original topic, did I not read somewhere that the vaccine is less effective for boys? I'm not sure where I saw that.
That was an early myth which has not been supported by the science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I must confess that the oral sex/mouth cancer aspect of this virus concerns and grosses me out....

I'm sorry to ask a stupid question - but could a person get this virus from kissing a person with an infected mouth? I don't think that is possible, but.....
It's a logical assumption that it could be spread by oral kissing, but very little research has been done in that particular area (surprisingly).

Last edited by Zimbochick; 02-02-2012 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,811,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That was an early myth whic has not been supported by the science.

It's a logical assumption that it could be spread by oral kissing, but very little research has been done in that particual area (surprisingly).
If it could be spread by kissing, than I would be more inclined to vaccinate early.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,464,757 times
To all the opponents of this virus sparing vaccine;

Look up!

There's the black helicopters!

Wake up!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 AM

870 posts, read 1,217,675 times
I dont understand why not wanting to give my child a million vaccines or trying to take a safer approach to my childs health overall makes me a fear mongering, irresponsible, tin foil hat wearing paranoid person? I dont give my child untested medicine. So what. I give my child very little medicine in general. I would never deny my son life saving intervention but I would also offer a diet rich in the nutrients needed to help boost the immune system and help fight whatever is wrong. I think that nature is rich in life saving interventions and that it isnt necessary to medicate everyone so much. Everyones answer to any problem is go to your doctor. That is not always the answer and sometimes you have to be the one who makes the right decision for your family and mine is to not support a brand new vaccine that may or may not have lasting effects, that may or may not cause long term damage, that may or may not cause short term damage, may or may not prevent cancer, may or may or may not ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING GOOD. Its not an anti-cancer vaccine, it merely fights a virus that contributes to cancerous cells. Its not a miracle cure. Its not an anti-breast cancer vaccine, but even if it was I wouldnt take it without some longitudinal studies to substantiate long term effects.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,794,980 times
For those needing clarification on how the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System ( VAERS ) actually works, here's an excellent description:

Vaccines and Your Child: Separating Fact from Fiction - Paul A. Offit, Charlotte A. Moser - Google Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting