U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 AM

985 posts, read 1,138,671 times
HPV is not a virus that is rare or, unlikely to be transmitted. It is extremely widespread and anyone who is sexually active is at a high risk of infection. HPV is responsible for oral, cervical and anal cancer. Why would a parent not want to ensure thier child has protection? I understand the concern about multiple vaccines for diseases most people will never get but this is a virus that is easily transmitted and widespread. In my opinion it is irresponsible not to have a child vaccinated against HPV.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:12 AM

11,957 posts, read 5,608,054 times
36 million of these vaccines have been administered since 2006. At what point it is no longer considered "new" I am not sure.

Also worth taking into consideration when making the decision is that the cancer caused by HPV often only appears years after the infection.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 AM

870 posts, read 642,401 times
To me personally "new" has nothing to do with the amount of doses that have been administered. It is about the amount of time this vaccine has been studied in the general population. 6 years is hardly a long term study of the population. At this point they dont even know if it effective for an extended period of time. In another ten years, my son will be 14 it will have been studied in population for 16 years, new and improved versions will have come out and then I will possibly reconsider my stance. But as it stands, absolutely not.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM

3,518 posts, read 2,723,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
What part of "yes, many cases clear up on their own" don't you get? Don't get me wrong, I feel bad that in your case it went from a viruses to an infection, but that isnt the case of most people who have HPV. I truly am sorry for what you had to go through, but it still deosn't change MY stance on this issue.
I don't think it's disputed that most HPV cases clear up on their own. So do most cases of the flu, chickenpox, smallpox, mumps etc. but you get the vaccine in case you're not part of the majority. No one is forcing you to get vaccinated, but you probably shouldn't be so flippant about a virus that can and has lead to cancer in women around the world.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM

5,762 posts, read 2,723,068 times
Part of the reason for the shot is not just for your kids' health, but for the health of people they come into contact with sexually, no? What if they pass on the virus to somebody who is one of the ones that are unlucky enough to get cancer?

Part of our responsibly is to not just protect ourselves, but if possible to not infect others. Yes I can get my own kid vaccinated and she won't get it, but all of you that won't are letting your kids pass it around should they become sexually active. And one of your kids may be one of the unlucky ones. Or she might not be, but because she passed it on, someone else's kid just might. All preventable.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 AM

5,191 posts, read 2,463,692 times
Trying to scare people into getting a vaccine that has displayed no proof of preventing anything yet including adverse side effects is lame.
People aren't going to agree on being a test subject for the good of the cure. It's a choice. Some don't want to risk it for something not proven to work. Some do. Scaring people into making decisions that might not be the best for them is dangerous.
I could list pages and pages where taking a relatively new drug had horrible outcomes. Way more than the pages you could to prove that this vaccine actually works.
Heck, tylenol has been around 40 years and they just found out it causes liver damage, enough to place a new warning on the label. You can overdose on Tylenol easily, which for years they thought wasn't true but with time they found out that it is. You shouldn't drink alcohol with it, so now every drinker takes Advil. It's just too early to know. You want to test it out for me, go for it. But that's what you're doing, testing it out. You don't know it works, or if it could actually increase your risk of the very cancers your trying to avoid. You have no idea yet, nobody does. Scaring them doesn't change this fact.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 AM

654 posts, read 454,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not really true. Those who choose monogamous sexually active relationships are not exposed to all the many STD's. he HPV vaccine provides a false sense of safety -- people think the vaccine will prevent all HPV infections and they can go out and have sex with everyone they meet and not have to worry about condoms.
An individual can choose to be mongamous, and in a seemingly monogamous relationship. That isn't a 100% guarantee that your partner is mongamous.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM

779 posts, read 1,256,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't think it's disputed that most HPV cases clear up on their own. So do most cases of the flu, chickenpox, smallpox, mumps etc.
AND there are cases where the child develps a severe reaction or death from the exposure.

[/quote] No one is forcing you to get vaccinated, but you probably shouldn't be so flippant about a virus that can and has lead to cancer in women around the world.[/quote]

AND men. About 6 months ago on a morning new program a young couple was interviewed and it was shared that he had developed and HPV related throat cancer and had much of his tongue and throat removed. Having 2 young adult sons, it was beyond scary to me.

Vaccinations are not just about protecting yourself.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM

5,762 posts, read 2,723,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Trying to scare people into getting a vaccine that has displayed no proof of preventing anything yet including adverse side effects is lame.
People aren't going to agree on being a test subject for the good of the cure. It's a choice. Some don't want to risk it for something not proven to work. Some do. Scaring people into making decisions that might not be the best for them is dangerous.
I could list pages and pages where taking a relatively new drug had horrible outcomes. Way more than the pages you could to prove that this vaccine actually works.
Heck, tylenol has been around 40 years and they just found out it causes liver damage, enough to place a new warning on the label. You can overdose on Tylenol easily, which for years they thought wasn't true but with time they found out that it is. You shouldn't drink alcohol with it, so now every drinker takes Advil. It's just too early to know. You want to test it out for me, go for it. But that's what you're doing, testing it out. You don't know it works, or if it could actually increase your risk of the very cancers your trying to avoid. You have no idea yet, nobody does. Scaring them doesn't change this fact.
I hear what you're saying, but the fact is, it is scary. And for that matter, you're doing the same thing, for opposite reasons. Saying it could "actually increase your risk of cancers" is not exactly a benign statement.

I'm not mitigating your right to an informed decision. But a ramification of that is that your child could pass a cancer inducing virus onto someone else. That's just a fact worth considering, IMO.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 AM

11,957 posts, read 5,608,054 times
HPV is the most common sexually transmitted disease, and condoms reduce the spread of the disease, but do not prevent transmission. Yes, that is scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.