Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 03:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Cute that this is ALL you could say to me, and could not resist saying...because truth is....no, it is not true that the shot can

"greatly reduce" the chances of cancer.

Thank you for further making my point.

Further, it remains true that way, too many girls have been seriously damaged BY the shot.
The reason is this information has already been posted. Here I'll post it for you again seeing as you missed it the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Fifty percent of the sexually active population is about 20 million people in the US. Another 6 million become infected each year. It is common and it is easily transmitted. To say otherwise is absolutely not true.

The absolute number of HPV associated cancers is relatively small.

The number of abnormal Pap smears is high. It is expensive to evaluate those abnormal smears, the biopsies needed are painful, and treatment for abnormal smears can rarely cause fertility problems. It is possible to have false negative Pap smears. That is why most gynecologists now offer HPV testing to supplement the Pap smear. Take the vaccine and the likelihood of having an abnormal Pap becomes very small. You escape the worry and the discomfort of having an abnormal smear.

The vaccine is pretty near 100% effective against the included strains.

And some of the "issues", including anal cancer and throat cancer are not going to be picked up by Pap smears. I do not know of any men who have Pap smears. Their anal and throat cancers are not going to be diagnosed until they are actual cancers.

Being treated for warts is no picnic, either. It is painful and for some people recrrences are common. there are millions of people whose warts do not go away without being treated. Pregnancy can really make them grow, sometimes to the point that a Cesarean is recommended. Not to mention that warts can be a big turn-off to a partner.

The problems tied to the HPV vaccines are mainly sore arms from the shot and an increased risk of fainting spells compared to some other vaccines. Doctors know about the fainting spells and patients can be observed to make sure that there are not falls and injuries related to fainting. You will read anecdotal stories all over the internet that allege the vaccine causes all sorts of awful illnesses. So far, there is no scientific evidence to support that HPV vaccines cause any of those problems. The vaccines are very safe and very effective.

The strains in the vaccines are the ones that cause most of the cancers and warts. it is not necessary to protect against the many strains that do not cause disease. The strains in the vaccine are associated with the majority of HPV associated cancers (and with Gardasil, the majority of warts.)

And the vaccines are pretty near 100% effective against the strains in the vaccine, with some significant cross-protection against a few strains that are not in the vaccines.

I do not know why people think that vaccines are not tested before they are offered to the general public. The HPV vaccines have been extensively tested and found to be safe and effective.

What makes one person's opinion more valid than another's is the evidence to back it up.

Actually, condoms do not provide very good protection against HPV because the virus infects skin that is not covered by a condom. There is no reason to suspect that HPV vaccines will promote promiscuity.

You only create antibodies if you get infected or you take the vaccine. The vaccine causes the body to produce antibodies that prevent infection with the virus and prevent disease.

HPV does cause significant, serious disease. The vaccines prevent the vast majority of the infections that do cause serious, significant disease, and the vaccines are almost 100% effective against the strains in the vaccine, with some cross-protection against a few similar strains.

I keep repeating this because people are implying that the vaccines do not work. That is not true there are no confirmed deaths due to HPV vaccines. These vaccines are extremely safe.
Quote:
No one says the HPV vaccines prevent all HPV infections. It is not necessary to prevent them all. The vaccines are specifically targeted to those strains that are most problematic. They are the types that cause cancer and, in the case of Gardasil, warts.

The HPV vaccines are predicted to prevent HPV associated cancers because people who take the vaccines do not get the precancerous cervical conditions that show up on Pap smears.

You are posting your misconceptions as if they are facts. What you are saying is not true. And a "scab" and "any injuries" do not cause cancer.
Quote:
It was not necessary to wait for information on the prevention of cervical cancer in order to get HPV vaccines on the shelf because the studies quickly showed that it prevents the precancerous conditions. If you do not believe the science behind the HPV vaccine, then what you are saying is that you do not believe the science behind Pap smears.

Find precancerous conditions with Pap smears, treat them, prevent cervical cancers.

Prevent HPV infections with vaccines, prevent precancerous cervical conditions, do not get abnormal Pap smears or cervical cancer.

Prevent HPV infections of the penis, anus, and throat and you prevent those cancers, too.

The science is sound.

Anyone can report what they think is an adverse reaction to VAERS. That does not mean the vaccine caused the reported condition. When VAERS reports have been followed up, a correlation with the vaccine has not been found. Usually the only reason the report is made is because the adverse event occurred some time after the vacccine was given.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
"Getting the vaccine will greatly reduce the risks of getting cancer."

This cannot possibly be true.

There are what, over 100 HPV viruses and innumerable variants of those viruses.

Last I read, the shot contains ONLY FOUR of them.
Already responded to (actually before you posted) but I'll repeat: Gardasil protects against the 4 strains of HPV that cause 75% of cervical cancer.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
It makes me laugh that most peoples idea of "researching extensively" consists of googling things.

I actually think having so much misinformation on the internet is dumbing down society to think anyone who can type words into a blog is somehow and authority on something.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Dr. Diane Harper, a Medical School Professor which received grants from the makers of HPV Vaccine says the vaccine "is being way, oversold."

She changed her mind when the extreme lobbying began, to force schoolkids to get the shots.

Dr. Harper said,
"Ninety-five percent of women who are infected with HPV never, ever get cervical cancer," she says. "It seemed very odd to be mandating something for which 95 percent of infections never amount to anything."
The story about her, here....

HPV Vaccine: The Science Behind The Controversy | WBUR & NPR

Old 02-03-2012, 04:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Dr. Diane Harper, a Medical School Professor which received grants from the makers of HPV Vaccine says the vaccine "is being way, oversold."

She changed her mind when the extreme lobbying began, to force schoolkids to get the shots.

Dr. Harper said,
"Ninety-five percent of women who are infected with HPV never, ever get cervical cancer," she says. "It seemed very odd to be mandating something for which 95 percent of infections never amount to anything."

Oh, G*d, we've discussed this woman before. Do you know how many people exposed to polio get paralytic polio? Yet people who won't get any other vaccine for their kids will get te polio vaccine b/c they are so afraid of paralytic polio.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Dr. Harper said,

Yes, I actually already posted this link on Page 2.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:20 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
It makes me laugh that most peoples idea of "researching extensively" consists of googling things.

I actually think having so much misinformation on the internet is dumbing down society to think anyone who can type words into a blog is somehow and authority on something.
Just "in case" you are referring to me, or I am part of the "most people" you are referring to, MY research began years before I found out I was pregnant with our first child back in late '83. It was done the hardcopy way, ya know, with books.

I did also speak with a few medical doctors in person and phoned one across the country to have a talk with him.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:20 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, I actually already posted this link on Page 2.
When people want to believe hard enough, they will believe. You can't fight emotion with reason.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
When people want to believe hard enough, they will believe. You can't fight emotion with reason.
Very true.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
All I believe is that had I had that shot when I was younger I wouldn't be in the position I was in when I was 20. It's not fun having to put chemotherapy cream inside of my vagina and crying because everything hurt so much I can't even go to the bathroom. But hey, 95% it won't get bad right? My body will fight it off right? No biggie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting