Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:12 AM

766 posts, read 529,056 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys for everything! Everyone of you had great views and points on every post.It really did help.I don't know everything,(even as moms we think we do sometimes) and I know thats okay.And this was a great learning experience for me and for my child I think. And I couldn't have done it without yall!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 04:10 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,206 times
I think this thread is absolutely amazing and I do mean that in a good way, the different ways we all parent. Seems that if we all had kids that were all a like we would be one boring world. Some childrens personalities require a firm manner others can get the message with a bit of communications.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:50 PM

268 posts, read 1,108,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
That's pretty easy to figure out. It's that the slammer is not secure in their own beliefs and, therefore, any opinion that is contrary to their own is perceived as a threat. Hence the slam in retaliation.
I was not the one who is slamming ..It was Miborn that HAD to mention my name and say "that is not parenting". How would you react?

I am proud and VERY SECURE of the way I parent. I have three good children. One who is now 18 and is attending college. I have a 16 year old, very happy, autistic child and I have a 9 year old who is doing very well in school.

Don't judge the way I parent. The original poster wanted an opinion and I gave it to her AND I did not "BASH" anyone elses opinion.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
sandlovertoo: I think that you did a truly wonderful job with your daughter. I just now came across your post and the many responses. I am so glad that you had a good talk together. And that is the most important part: together.

Communication between parent and child is number one in my book. No matter what we think happens when our children are away from us, be it at a party, shopping, wherever and whatever, you have to trust.

Without trust, nothing else really matters. She now KNOWS how you feel and how you will respond when the time comes again that she slips, and she very well may. I agree with your remark about not having a book of instructions on parenting. Maybe some of us should get together and write one for all new moms and dads. I know that there are books concerning parenting, but all cases have just that little bit of difference that would make a general handbook lacking in something.

My youngest son did a few things that I know that now that he is a dad, he would be upset if ever his son repeated his misadventures. I have always loved and respected my sons unconditionally. They have both known that no matter what, they could and can come to me and I will listen. If, and only if, they want my advice, would I offer it. I want to be the one constant that they have in their lives. They both have/had significant others and this is a good thing and they both have children and that is wonderful. Now I am a grandmother and that is a wonderful thing to be.

Long story here, I am aware, but just wanted you to know how thankful your daughter is and will be, knowing that you are there to listen to her, no matter what. You have to be there, no matter what. Good going mom.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:49 AM

766 posts, read 529,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
sandlovertoo: I think that you did a truly wonderful job with your daughter. I just now came across your post and the many responses. I am so glad that you had a good talk together. And that is the most important part: together.

Communication between parent and child is number one in my book. No matter what we think happens when our children are away from us, be it at a party, shopping, wherever and whatever, you have to trust.

Without trust, nothing else really matters. She now KNOWS how you feel and how you will respond when the time comes again that she slips, and she very well may. I agree with your remark about not having a book of instructions on parenting. Maybe some of us should get together and write one for all new moms and dads. I know that there are books concerning parenting, but all cases have just that little bit of difference that would make a general handbook lacking in something.

My youngest son did a few things that I know that now that he is a dad, he would be upset if ever his son repeated his misadventures. I have always loved and respected my sons unconditionally. They have both known that no matter what, they could and can come to me and I will listen. If, and only if, they want my advice, would I offer it. I want to be the one constant that they have in their lives. They both have/had significant others and this is a good thing and they both have children and that is wonderful. Now I am a grandmother and that is a wonderful thing to be.

Long story here, I am aware, but just wanted you to know how thankful your daughter is and will be, knowing that you are there to listen to her, no matter what. You have to be there, no matter what. Good going mom.

Thank you!We also need a pat on the back sometimes, and yall have done that for me.And for all the Mothers out there,Here's your pat!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:21 AM

49 posts, read 420,258 times
well i would have to say its a little harsh all teens are going to experiment i would say maybe grounded for like 1 month and i would let her get her permit after shes ungrounded because thats something you can take away if she does something like this again lol after the groundation i would also cut down on the freedom i would ground from everything for a month then after that untill she can be trusted cut back on curfuee other freedoms like partys and such. but its really a matter of opion of what to do and you no your daughter best and wht would work best for her just remember what you did when you were a kid and all people make mistakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting