U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,696,241 times

Advertisements

Supposedly the French are doing things differently and better. But it seems to me this is just how kids USED to be raised right here. I feel yes we are bringing up several generations of entitled kids and they are the ones who will suffer the most.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...-is-it-better/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 03:12 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,629,574 times
Parenting is too personal to believe an entire nation of people maintains the same standard in their parenting practices. I mean just how many french families does she ever personally know? What you probably have here is an american women so in love with french culture that she only sees the good things and glosses over the faults. There is no right magical formula to parenting because each child, and family is different.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,502,069 times
Interesting. I met some of the brattiest and most spoiled young adults I've ever known when I lived in France. The mothers in particular all seemed to worship their sons.

That said I do agree with most of the parenting points in the article, I just didn't see it in practice except for the spending time away from your kids...there was a lot of that.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 PM

12,932 posts, read 19,824,518 times
We have been fortunate enough to vacation regularly on a Caribbean Island popular with the French. The first time we went we planned our trip for a time we thought most children would be in school. Instead, the hotel had loads of kids, all French. It was eye-opening to see how well behaved they were, both on the beach and in the restaurants. The parents did not entertain them, they carried on uninterrupted conversations with the other adults instead. At meals the children ordered off the regular menu, and ate quietly.

I am certain if our kids were with us we would not have had as enjoyable a time. My kids would have wanted to jet ski, parasail, etc every minute. They would have found the beach "boring".

Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,243,994 times
"French children typically have what’s known as gouter – a 4 p.m. snack – and that’s it. As a result, Druckerman says, they eat well-rounded meals because they’re “actually hungry.”"

This one struck me. I think that in the states so many people fixate on what their kids "will" eat and/or "getting" them to eat. Also every event has a "snack" component. School offers 2 snacks a day. Kids will eat if they are hungry. If they are never hungry because we are jumping all over ourselves to get them to eat... Around here goldfish are considered a healthy food.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:06 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,502,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
"French children typically have what’s known as gouter – a 4 p.m. snack – and that’s it. As a result, Druckerman says, they eat well-rounded meals because they’re “actually hungry.”"

This one struck me. I think that in the states so many people fixate on what their kids "will" eat and/or "getting" them to eat. Also every event has a "snack" component. School offers 2 snacks a day. Kids will eat if they are hungry. If they are never hungry because we are jumping all over ourselves to get them to eat... Around here goldfish are considered a healthy food.
I agree completely with this. The constant snacking drives me crazy, my son took a parent and tot soccer class when he was 2 that lasted 45 min, they had a snack break half way through the class.

I only give my kids a piece of fruit when they get home from school, maybe a cookie if I baked some recently.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,558,628 times
That's funny when all the docs tell ya that grazing is a healthier way to eat. Also funny that the French are the new Asia. I guess Tiger mom is out and Pastry mom is in. lol Right on! I'll take relaxed Pastry mom over uptight Tiger any day.

Anyone know what happened to the Dolphin mom? Anybody? Bueller?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,243,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
That's funny when all the docs tell ya that grazing is a healthier way to eat.
ALL the docs will tell you that, will they? I don't actually have a problem with that. But they aren't grazing on carrots and bananas. They are grazing on what passes for "healthy" among the nonperishable foods; goldfish, pretzels, fruit and grain bars. So when they get to a table in which decent food has been prepared, they aren't hungry.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM

11,799 posts, read 9,729,450 times
Here's my take on it, at the risk of making it a socio-political argument: we've built a culture in this country which revolves around children. Certainly parents should make their children the top priority, but I'm speaking more to a culture which George Carlin dubbed "child worship". Most cultures (the French seem to be the preferred culture du jur at the moment) simply know where to draw the line, and treat children as children and adults as adults. For example, they're okay with nudity on television rather than sounding alarms over "protect the children!" Many American parents simply need to be reminded children need a certain amount of sacrifice and discipline, rather than having their every need/desire met, all the time.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,558,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
ALL the docs will tell you that, will they? I don't actually have a problem with that. But they aren't grazing on carrots and bananas. They are grazing on what passes for "healthy" among the nonperishable foods; goldfish, pretzels, fruit and grain bars. So when they get to a table in which decent food has been prepared, they aren't hungry.
I didn't mean anything by it. Really, who knows. Just kidding around. Advice just seems to differ with the seasons. Thought I'd make light of it but I see it was in bad taste. Sorry bout that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or