U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,735,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
My 17 yr. old daughter comes to me and tells me that she is having a hard time remembering to take her birth control pill each day. She has done some research online and thinks the Depo. shot is a better birth control choice for her. She has made an appointment at the clinic... would I like to go with her?

I tell her I'm happy to go with and that I'm happy that she is taking responsibility by knowing that her current form of BC isn't a good fit for her and taking steps to fix the issue. I tell her that she is being responsible for taking care of herself and making sure she doesn't have an unplanned pregnancy.

Unfortunately... it seems that everyone else she comes in contact with views her as irresponsible and makes sure she knows their opinion. The nurse at the clinic made a snide comment when my daughter told her that she was having a hard time remembering her pill each day (which is why she was there getting another form of birth control). My mother made a somewhat nasty comment about it also.

hmm, that nurse should learn some bedside manners- she should have kept her opinion to herself. Kudos to your daughter for being responsible and looking into her options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,444,482 times
I admit, I feel a little judgemental to people who shy away from the pill because they feel they can't remember to take it. Set an alarm on your phone to go off every day and take it then. Easy.

But that's my gut reaction, not necessarily logical. It's impressive that your teenager took charge like that, even arranging the new BC herself instead of asking you to handle it. You should both look into the implanon, the birth control that is implanted under the skin and has a slow release of hormones. I had a friend get it and she loved it, even covered by her insurance. The only complaint she had was bizarre, irregular periods but I hear that's an issue with a lot of non-pill hormonal birth control methods.

Tell the negative nancies (and my gut) to mind their own business because your daughter knows what's best for her life better than anyone else does.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:14 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,516,591 times
First off, congrats on what is apparently a very good relationship between you and your daughter. Not every kid would have first, the presence of mind to make that kind of choice themeslf, let alone follow through with it independently and second, have a good and trusting enough relationship to discuss the choice with their mother.

I don't fault her for "forgetting", I know plenty of adults who forgot too...many of whom have kids because of it. When it comes to the pill, there is also the issue of not necessarily forgetting outright, but then forgetting to take it consistently at the same time. There are alternatives out there, precisely because not every method is perfect for everyone.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:28 AM

13,496 posts, read 13,978,373 times
congrats on having a daughter that knows what she needs to do to not have an unwanted pregnancy. tell the others to stuff it, as it is none of their business. her grandmother shouldn't be privy to what she does for birth control. keep your daughter's business closer to the vest. the nurse? what an idiot I might talk to the doctor about it

Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 AM

39,069 posts, read 37,716,477 times
IMHO, there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Why does your mother need to be in on this discussion?

At any rate, the nurse certainly should be reported. No need for that kind of judgement. It's just because it's birth control. Would she say the same thing if your daughter forgot to take diabetes medicine or wear a retainer? Some people are better at remembering stuff.

At least your daughter is looking for a way to maintain her birth control, rather than ignoring it.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 AM

15,871 posts, read 13,439,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I had the same issue and went with the Nuva Ring. It's kind of shocking to think someone who wants to improve their chances of not getting pregnant would be viewed as irresponsible.
This is exactly what my daughter chose at 18. The pill has to be taken the same time of day and that was a big problem as her schedule--sleeping, waking, eating--varied wildly every day, a.k.a. college life!

Nuva ring is great for girls this age.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,233,571 times
Quote:
Vic - the nurse said she was "just lazy and not being responsible because she wouldn't remember to take her pill".
I would have spoken to her and told her that her opinion of your daughters laziness is irrelevant and that she shall henceforth keep her opinions to herself.

Quote:
And my Mom made a comment about being irresponsible with regards to taking her pill.
Why does your mother know anything about her grand daughters BC?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:27 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,968,186 times
Please report that nurse asap, before she makes another nasty comment to a young woman that may have more serious consequences. What if the next girl who ends up in that office doesn't have a mother backing her up, shows up to a doctor's office for help and guidance, and gets criticized and judged? Chances are, she'll never come back and WILL end up pregnant. That kind of behavior is unacceptable for someone who considers themselves a professional.

I have a condition that requires daily medication, and even I forget to take it sometimes. It happens. The fact that your daughter is smart enough to know that pills aren't going to work and to find a more appropriate form of birth control for herself speaks a lot for her maturity AND your parenting. You're doing a great job.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,280,426 times
Quote:
My 17 yr. old daughter comes to me and tells me that she is having a hard time remembering to take her birth control pill each day. She has done some research online and thinks the Depo. shot is a better birth control choice for her. She has made an appointment at the clinic... would I like to go with her?

I tell her I'm happy to go with and that I'm happy that she is taking responsibility by knowing that her current form of BC isn't a good fit for her and taking steps to fix the issue. I tell her that she is being responsible for taking care of herself and making sure she doesn't have an unplanned pregnancy.

Unfortunately... it seems that everyone else she comes in contact with views her as irresponsible and makes sure she knows their opinion. The nurse at the clinic made a snide comment when my daughter told her that she was having a hard time remembering her pill each day (which is why she was there getting another form of birth control). My mother made a somewhat nasty comment about it also.
That is wrong of everybody else, especially the nurse who is getting paid to help your daughter. Did she consider complaining about this nurse? Otherwise, other people are going to judge you for some reason, there's really no way to change it except ignoring stupid comments when you can and the people who make them, and/or standing up for yourself when being disrespected. I'm not really a master at that so I can't help with that... Bottom line is, your daughter is changing things that don't work out for her, which is something most of the rest of the human race would do well to do.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:37 PM

121 posts, read 369,635 times
Sounds like you have a good relationship. She sounds great. I'm responsible and have a hard time remembering a pill. I used iud until a tubal.

Just ignore them all. At least she's not being stupid and risking pregnancy.
Good work mom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or