Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times

Advertisements

My 17 yr. old daughter comes to me and tells me that she is having a hard time remembering to take her birth control pill each day. She has done some research online and thinks the Depo. shot is a better birth control choice for her. She has made an appointment at the clinic... would I like to go with her?

I tell her I'm happy to go with and that I'm happy that she is taking responsibility by knowing that her current form of BC isn't a good fit for her and taking steps to fix the issue. I tell her that she is being responsible for taking care of herself and making sure she doesn't have an unplanned pregnancy.

Unfortunately... it seems that everyone else she comes in contact with views her as irresponsible and makes sure she knows their opinion. The nurse at the clinic made a snide comment when my daughter told her that she was having a hard time remembering her pill each day (which is why she was there getting another form of birth control). My mother made a somewhat nasty comment about it also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
keep reinforcing the open communication you two have. it could possibly save her life. I have heard mixed reactions to the shot. How hard is it to remember to take 1 single pill. put it next to her breakfast, toothbrush or something else which is part of her routine. missing a single pill can cause problems or pregnancy. congrats on having a responsible daughter.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
What were the comments, and what was your question?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
I had the same issue and went with the Nuva Ring. It's kind of shocking to think someone who wants to improve their chances of not getting pregnant would be viewed as irresponsible.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
Vic - the nurse said she was "just lazy and not being responsible because she wouldn't remember to take her pill". And my Mom made a comment about being irresponsible with regards to taking her pill.

I was going to ask if I was viewing this wrong or something, but then decided that I wasn't going to change my support of my daughter based on others opinions anyway. So I never did ask a question...lol

Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,507 times
I am an married adult with a child and sometimes i have a hard time remembering. People are not fool proof and shame on the nurse saying something so hurtful and disrespectful. And your daughter is being responsible by asking for something else, not irresponsible for forgetting

Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Vic - the nurse said she was "just lazy and not being responsible because she wouldn't remember to take her pill". And my Mom made a comment about being irresponsible with regards to taking her pill.

I was going to ask if I was viewing this wrong or something, but then decided that I wasn't going to change my support of my daughter based on others opinions anyway. So I never did ask a question...lol
Lol, I can understand that.

I see no reason for them to jump to the conclusion that she's being irresponsible. As you said, her taking the initiative to correct something that (for WHATEVER reason) wasn't working for her shows a great deal of responsibility indeed. Further, even if she IS irresponsible in forgetting to take a pill, risking an unwanted pregnancy is not a gamble she should take in her efforts to remember.

Of course, if there are considerable health risks or something in association with this new BC, I'd see disagreeing with it on those grounds.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Wow - I can't believe the nurse said that! That was completely inappropriate. Do you know that more then half of ADULTS cannot remember to take their medications correctly? And when you really have no medical problems like young people do and suddenly need to remember to take a pill every day, it is hard to remember to take it.

I think you are doing a terrific job with your daughter and I envy that you are able to communicate with her at this level, as well as tell your own mother! It was equally good that your daughter is so conscientious.

Actually, I would also file a simple complaint about that nurse, or at a very minimum go with your daughter and mention to the doctor how the nurse made her feel and that you thought it was inappropriate. Statements like those make teenagers decide NOT to come back to their judgmental doctor's office and instead take their chances unprotected.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Wow - I can't believe the nurse said that! That was completely inappropriate. Do you know that more then half of ADULTS cannot remember to take their medications correctly? And when you really have no medical problems like young people do and suddenly need to remember to take a pill every day, it is hard to remember to take it.

I think you are doing a terrific job with your daughter and I envy that you are able to communicate with her at this level, as well as tell your own mother! It was equally good that your daughter is so conscientious.

Actually, I would also file a simple complaint about that nurse, or at a very minimum go with your daughter and mention to the doctor how the nurse made her feel and that you thought it was inappropriate. Statements like those make teenagers decide NOT to come back to their judgmental doctor's office and instead take their chances unprotected.
I agree i would have asked to speak to the nurse practitioner on duty of the doctor.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I think it is wonderful that she is comfortable enough to talk to you about this. Reinforce how important that is and how glad you are. Hard to believe anyone in the medical filed would turn this into a negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting