U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM
 
11 posts, read 12,451 times
Reputation: 43

Advertisements

Let me quickly explain. Lately, I've been fantasizing about having a child or two. I have a very good career and a very stable middle class lifestyle, however, I am currently single and approaching 34. This baby thing is becoming an obsession. I fear that if I wait too long, I may become too old to have one naturally.

Has anyone else experienced these feelings? If so, what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
526 posts, read 804,291 times
Reputation: 544
Are you currently dating? Trying to meet someone? You still have a little bit of time to have it naturally. I think it's normal to feel that way at that age if you want to be a mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
 
35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Reputation: 61840
The red flag for me is your first statement that you have been "fantasizing" about having a child. Children are not fantasies to be put away when you find something else that interests you more. At 33 you really don't have a clue what you are wanting to get into alone without the support of a husband (and yes I said husband).

You need to think longer and harder about this before you do anything, children are a full time job when Mother and Father are both involved let alone when Mother or Father are raising them alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
443 posts, read 743,364 times
Reputation: 323
What about adoption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 PM
 
2,495 posts, read 3,448,372 times
Reputation: 4838
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The red flag for me is your first statement that you have been "fantasizing" about having a child. Children are not fantasies to be put away when you find something else that interests you more. At 33 you really don't have a clue what you are wanting to get into alone without the support of a husband (and yes I said husband).

You need to think longer and harder about this before you do anything, children are a full time job when Mother and Father are both involved let alone when Mother or Father are raising them alone.
((((echo echo echo))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Pa
42,565 posts, read 42,398,375 times
Reputation: 24873
I understand you exactly OP. I'm 34 and have one child but want another. But seems relationships aren't my for-ta.
Think about adoption. So many children that deserve a good mom full of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Reputation: 39664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila1010 View Post
Let me quickly explain. Lately, I've been fantasizing about having a child or two. I have a very good career and a very stable middle class lifestyle, however, I am currently single and approaching 34. This baby thing is becoming an obsession. I fear that if I wait too long, I may become too old to have one naturally.

Has anyone else experienced these feelings? If so, what did you do?
ADOPT.

But please, do not bring another fatherless child into this world on purpose. That's just selfish.

Dads are not disposable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,542,177 times
Reputation: 7000
I think its a wonderful opportunity. Find a guy who you admire and respect and has intellect and ask him to knock you up. Be selective so you can maybe have a Nobel prize winner or a Rhodes Student there. Let the guy know you want to get pregnant. He should have a say in the matter as he will probably want to be involved in his childs life. At your age, having a child isn't a deal killer for a man looking for a wife. You don't ever have to get married, hell if you find your work load and parenthood difficult to juggle, you could even find yourself a female partner. I'd go for it if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Reputation: 39664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I think its a wonderful opportunity. Find a guy who you admire and respect and has intellect and ask him to knock you up. Be selective so you can maybe have a Nobel prize winner or a Rhodes Student there. Let the guy know you want to get pregnant. He should have a say in the matter as he will probably want to be involved in his childs life. At your age, having a child isn't a deal killer for a man looking for a wife. You don't ever have to get married, hell if you find your work load and parenthood difficult to juggle, you could even find yourself a female partner. I'd go for it if I were you.
Wish you'd use the little emoticons to be sure people don't miss your sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:59 PM
 
Location: So Cal
38,751 posts, read 37,920,228 times
Reputation: 39566
I find it rather discouraging how irrelevant fathers appear to be as of late.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top