U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 11:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times

Advertisements

Although all these studies have been done, I truly question them. I was spanked or slapped as a child and I am far from aggresive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 01:24 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,513,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Although all these studies have been done, I truly question them. I was spanked or slapped as a child and I am far from aggresive.
That's like someone saying they've smoked cigarettes their whole life and never got lung cancer, so it proves it doesn't cause it.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Spanking yields several results depending upon the personality of the child. The results may also combine with each other and a child may have different reactions at different periods of their lives.

1. Aggressive behavior with other children, especially with children who are perceived as weaker. This child may be the classic bully. It is also possible that this kind of child will be the rebel without a cause turning everything into a reason to argue and rebel against authority.

2. Passive behavior with all adults and sometimes with other children especially those perceived as stronger. In this case, you may see a child cringe when the adults are nearby or you may see a child who simply does whatever they are told. Often, these children are at risk for being abused because they are not able to distinguish between legitimate authority and adults who do not have their best interests at heart.

3. Sneaky behavior. This child will obey when the parent is right there, but will do whatever s/he wants to do when s/he believes s/he will not be caught. This child has no internal guide to what is right and wrong. S/he believes in doing whatever feels good.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:04 AM

12,715 posts, read 11,189,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Spanking yields several results depending upon the personality of the child. The results may also combine with each other and a child may have different reactions at different periods of their lives.

1. Aggressive behavior with other children, especially with children who are perceived as weaker. This child may be the classic bully. It is also possible that this kind of child will be the rebel without a cause turning everything into a reason to argue and rebel against authority.

2. Passive behavior with all adults and sometimes with other children especially those perceived as stronger. In this case, you may see a child cringe when the adults are nearby or you may see a child who simply does whatever they are told. Often, these children are at risk for being abused because they are not able to distinguish between legitimate authority and adults who do not have their best interests at heart.

3. Sneaky behavior. This child will obey when the parent is right there, but will do whatever s/he wants to do when s/he believes s/he will not be caught. This child has no internal guide to what is right and wrong. S/he believes in doing whatever feels good.
Hilarious. I was spanked and while I have faults, nobody who knows me would characterize me as aggressive, passive or sneaky.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:09 AM

6,009 posts, read 4,943,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Hilarious. I was spanked and while I have faults, nobody who knows me would characterize me as aggressive, passive or sneaky.
No, what's hilarious is that you think your anecdotal evidence stands above countless studies. I don't think anyone here is making the argument that everyone who's spanked will become aggressive. I'm sure there are exceptions, and it's probably the case that a significant portion of those who were spanked as kids don't become aggressive. But the research overwhelmingly finds a connection.

This doesn't convince me in and of itself, however. But it also makes perfect sense, the logical argument offered to explain how spanking might teach or cause aggressive behavior. And then, being relatively certain that spanking is not necessary (unless a parent makes it necessary in a child's formative years) pretty much closes the case for me.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No, what's hilarious is that you think your anecdotal evidence stands above countless studies. I don't think anyone here is making the argument that everyone who's spanked will become aggressive.
Nana did not cite any studies, and it did sound as if she was talking about everyone who is spanked, although that may have been inadvertent on her part.

Quote:
But the research overwhelmingly finds a connection.
Perhaps, but if so, it is just as easily explained by positing that aggressive kids will be more likely to get spankings. That's not any harder to believe than the reverse conclusion.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:07 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,943,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Perhaps, but if so, it is just as easily explained by positing that aggressive kids will be more likely to get spankings. That's not any harder to believe than the reverse conclusion.
That is very true. Just now, I went looking for a study elaborate enough to indicate causality, not just correlation. And I found this:

A recent study of low-income European-American, African-American, and Mexican-American toddlers found that kids who were spanked at age 1 were more likely to have aggressive behavior problems at age 3. They also scored lower on the Bayley test of mental development (Berlin et al 2009).

Quote:
Were these kids were getting spanked because they were more aggressive or slow to begin with? It doesn’t seem so. Neither aggressive behavior problems nor lower developmental scores predicted increases in spanking over time.
Spanking children: A guide for the science-minded

Old 08-07-2012, 02:23 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,785,721 times
Exclamation Parents Spank, Slap Kids in Public More Often Than Thought

Parents Spank, Slap Kids in Public More Often Than Thought

Parents Spank, Slap Kids in Public More Often Than Thought | Yahoo! Health

Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
A recent study of low-income European-American, African-American, and Mexican-American toddlers found that kids who were spanked at age 1 were more likely to have aggressive behavior problems at age 3. They also scored lower on the Bayley test of mental development (Berlin et al 2009).
It seems likely, certainly plausible, that the behavior problems that were recorded at age 3 were incipient by age 1.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:07 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,799,709 times
Interesting, assault on a child by parents is banned in my country.
I was never hit hit by my parents and I see no need for it, if I see a male hitting a child I will hit them, and being large I will do some damage.
It is cowardly to strike a child, want to hit someone go down to football training and throw a punch at a linebacker, unlike a child they will return it with interest.
Or would that be too dangerous ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or