Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,372,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
Speaking of violence, we should get rid of video games, movies, music, or anything that relates to violence. Maybe that might lower our crime statistics.
No, but we should minimize a child's exposure to these influences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,260,493 times
dr spock lied. 50 years of time out testing, largest prison population on earth. more violent and out of control than ever b4. time out does not work.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,067,220 times
Here is the reality of this argument, no matter how much anti-spanking parents want to post every study in the book, the simple fact is, spanking has worked for alot of parents around the world. It doesn't have a 100% success rate, but there are many great human beings in this world that have benefitted from being spanked. There is also a lot of people who have been spanked and they are some of the worse human beings around. The same can be said for time outs, taking away privileges, and whatever else you can think of. Everyone of these discipline measures have worked and have failed. I know plenty of people that were spanked and I would trust them with my life. I know plenty of who weren't spanked and I wouldn't trust them to get my mail. Spanking can work if used properly and so can timeouts. I know one guy whose parents made him kneel on rice as a kid, he is a great guy and has a great relationship with his parents. Stop equating spanking to beating your kids within an inch of their life. As you can see from alot of these post, none of these parents who are spanking their kids and trying to injure them.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 PM

869 posts, read 1,491,377 times
With all the people (and studies) saying that spanking causes lowered IQs its honestly amazing that as a species we ever learned to talk, add, subtract, create fire, harness electricity, the telephone, the mobile phone.....etc. We should all be sitting around in a puddle of our own drool.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,807,936 times
Spare the rod and you'll spoil the child im all about old school parenting skills.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dr spock lied. 50 years of time out testing, largest prison population on earth. more violent and out of control than ever b4. time out does not work.
This is simply not true. Post #16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Here is the reality of this argument, no matter how much anti-spanking parents want to post every study in the book, the simple fact is, spanking has worked for alot of parents around the world. It doesn't have a 100% success rate, but there are many great human beings in this world that have benefitted from being spanked.
I'd say many people have benefitted DESPITE being spanked. It is NOT a fact that spanking has worked. It's an opinion. I get that spanking is not necessarily abuse, and that the method of discipline is not the only question. But speaking of questions, I've yet to get an answer to a rather simple one:

Knowing that there is no more evidence nor reasoning to favor spanking as there is to favor timeouts (even when you ignore studies, which is odd enough, in my book) and knowing that timeouts have the added benefit of showing kids firsthand how you want them to solve their problems in life, why not commit yourself to timeouts instead of hitting?

Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 PM

23,975 posts, read 32,296,294 times
I am a political liberal. I am a member of a church. A Christian. However, I do not run my home like a Democracy. There are those in charge. My husband and my self. We make the money and pay the bills.

There are those not in charge. We care for them and love them. BUT we do not permit them to use vile language, show disrespect towards us, lie around the house on Saturday playing video games and texting friends.

There are consequences for bad behavior. Over the years spanking has proven very useful at times, especially when "rank" needs to be re-established.

They are older now and we enjoy a close relationship. They are good, productive young people.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
I think anyone can make a study that fits their own agenda.

Someone else could come out with a study showing that lack of discipline hurts children. or that isolating a small child by making him sit alone in a room in a "time out" will make him feel socially rejected and alone.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are those in charge. My husband and my self. We make the money and pay the bills.

There are those not in charge. We care for them and love them. BUT we do not permit them to use vile language, show disrespect towards us, lie around the house on Saturday playing video games and texting friends.

There are consequences for bad behavior. Over the years spanking has proven very useful at times, especially when "rank" needs to be re-established.
But some parents do this without spanking. Your comments on that?

Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I actually wonder if that's the common denominator for effective teaching/discipline, regardless of whether the strategy is time out or spanking or something else:
Spanking, time out and explanations aren't strategies. They are tactics. Strategies involve understanding goals and desired outcomes, short term and long. Deciding how to achieve those outcomes. That's why these conversations are such a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting