Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
You know exactly how this health center is set up? Good for you. It may be that when the staff are off duty, the building is shut down. Maybe the building is 24/7, since the article did say the college is rather isolated. Your assumption = my assumption.

People get more out of hearing a few bullet points than being handed a long packet of info and told to read carefully. That's part of the reason pharmacists exist. If we're going to fall back on people taking responsibility for themselves, they wouldn't need the MAP in the first place, would they?

I said nothing about women in general. I specifically said most women would be able to use the morning after pill with no problem, but it's not so absurd to imagine a dim woman taking more than she should and causing herself harm. If you're a nurse, surely you know just how incredibly stupid people can be. And these days getting into college means diddly squat.

I want women to have access to the MAP. I don't want them to have to feel ashamed or embarrassed when they get it, but I care more about their health and safety than their pride.
You're right, we're both assuming. I looked up the hours, it was quick and easy. Here they are:

Academic Year
Open 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. while the University is in Session

Summer Hours
Open 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. while the University is in Session

Doctor's Hours:
Academic Year Monday - Thursday: 9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Friday: 10:00 p.m.- 2:00 p.m.
Summer Monday - Friday: 1:30 p.m.- 2:30 p.m.

Shippensburg University

Note there is not always a doctor there. It looks like there is a nurse there when it is open. That does not necessarily mean an RN, BTW; it may be an LPN.

This was my objection to what you said about women:

"And to a dim young woman who just had unprotected sex,. . "

Like the dim woman alone is responsible for this unprotected sex, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're right, we're both assuming. I looked up the hours, it was quick and easy. Here they are:

Academic Year
Open 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. while the University is in Session

Summer Hours
Open 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. while the University is in Session

Doctor's Hours:
Academic Year Monday - Thursday: 9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Friday: 10:00 p.m.- 2:00 p.m.
Summer Monday - Friday: 1:30 p.m.- 2:30 p.m.

Shippensburg University

Note there is not always a doctor there. It looks like there is a nurse there when it is open. That does not necessarily mean an RN, BTW; it may be an LPN.

This was my objection to what you said about women:

"And to a dim young woman who just had unprotected sex,. . "

Like the dim woman alone is responsible for this unprotected sex, eh?
So the vending machine is not accessible 24/7, so again, why not have students buy the pill from someone who can answer their questions instead of a machine?

Ah, you're misunderstanding my words. She's not dim because of the unprotected sex, she's just dim. Same as saying "The dim young woman was walking her dog."

Old 02-08-2012, 11:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
So the vending machine is not accessible 24/7, so again, why not have students buy the pill from someone who can answer their questions instead of a machine?
What difference does it make if it is an over the counter med that they can get at the local CVS anyway?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What difference does it make if it is an over the counter med that they can get at the local CVS anyway?
Well, the article said the college is a bit isolated so it's probably more convenient to stock it on campus. And I've heard of pharmacists giving women crap for asking for the pill, so I imagine on campus health officials are likely to be more friendly and understanding so students would be more comfortable with them than a random CVS, where other patrons are wandering around the store listening to what you request.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
But isn't it available behind the counter, not over the counter, like Sudafed? You have to prove your age and sign something, and presumably at that point there is someone who can answer questions.

I didn't think the MAP was available off the shelf like ibuprofen.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Well, the article said the college is a bit isolated so it's probably more convenient to stock it on campus. And I've heard of pharmacists giving women crap for asking for the pill, so I imagine on campus health officials are likely to be more friendly and understanding so students would be more comfortable with them than a random CVS, where other patrons are wandering around the store listening to what you request.
I don't get it. Last time I went to the pharmacy to get an over the counter medication (not sudafed), I walked up to the shelf, picked it up, paid for it and left.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
But isn't it available behind the counter, not over the counter, like Sudafed? You have to prove your age and sign something, and presumably at that point there is someone who can answer questions.

I didn't think the MAP was available off the shelf like ibuprofen.
I don't know! Someone else said it was over the counter. What is up wtih this behind the counter bologna? I guess I get it for Sudafed (as if writing your name down in a little book is gonna do much).

Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I don't get it. Last time I went to the pharmacy to get an over the counter medication (not sudafed), I walked up to the shelf, picked it up, paid for it and left.
I went with a friend to buy Plan B, hm, 4 years ago? She had to go up to the pharmacist and ask for it and I think her ID was checked. I don't think it's legal to have it out on the shelf in a public pharmacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting