U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,078,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
No it's not a big deal, people blow the "you need to spend every instant with your infant" out of proportion". A small amount of disruption in her life is not going to have long lasting consequences.
Quote:
My mother and father left me when i was 4 weeks old for a week. I mean not all parents have the same bonding needs. Personally being a woman i find infants quite boring and can't understand the desire not to want to be away from them.
You're not a mother, though. You wouldn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,734,351 times
Way too young. I would wait until the child was at least three to four years old.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,652,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No but my sister is a doctor and she will tell you the same thing . As for the part about infants what can i say, i'm not real maternal.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,078,962 times
Quote:
No but my sister is a doctor and she will tell you the same thing . As for the part about infants what can i say, i'm not real maternal.
Your sister will tell me what--infants are boring? Newborns don't need their moms? It's normal to be disinterested in one's child? Sorry, I don't believe you.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:07 AM

24,479 posts, read 28,829,378 times
Quote:
My mother and father left me when i was 4 weeks old for a week. I mean not all parents have the same bonding needs. Personally being a woman i find infants quite boring and can't understand the desire not to want to be away from them.
You are not a mom. Someone can find infants boring, and still want to be around their own.

A mom even considering letting someone else take such a young baby makes me thing she must have postpartum depression. It is not normal to feel that way about your own child.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,302,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You are not a mom. Someone can find infants boring, and still want to be around their own.

A mom even considering letting someone else take such a young baby makes me thing she must have postpartum depression. It is not normal to feel that way about your own child.
I had ZERO interest in infants before I had my daughter. Once I had her, it was painful to be away from her even just to run to the store ... I even "missed" her when she was sleeping. I was BF'ing so being away wasn't really an option but even so - there is no way a new mom would entertain this offer unless something else was going on, like PPD. And if that is the case, OP's wife (gf?) should get help.

And I can't imagine that a DR would say this is ok, I'm pretty sure that if I had told this to my Dr - she would have sent me for a PPD consult pretty quick.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 AM

229 posts, read 397,756 times
It's not too young to travel. I flew with my son when he was 5 weeks old (and my parents flew with me when I was that young too). The separation is some thing you need to be comfortable with. Two weeks is a long time away from a baby that young. Is there any way you could go too?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:33 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,313,018 times
In my opinion, yes, that is too young. My husband and I had to go on a business trip when our daughter was 2 months old, and she stayed with my mother-in-law for 4 days. Trust me, I am never doing that again!!!I felt like I missed so much - she changed in those 4 days - learned how to put her little thumb in her mouth etc - and I wasn't there to see it first. I think your daughter needs her parents aka you and your husband much much more at this stage, then she needs to meet her relatives ( she won't even remember meeting your relatives at this stage ).

Old 02-10-2012, 02:46 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,461,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

Couldnt agree more.

@ OP - yes 2 months is too young. Even if the misses were open to the idea, i sure as hell wouldnt!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,682,513 times
Lucidkitty aside, seriously its obvious something else is going on here. I'm thinking you may be a very young mother and not bonding so well and so this doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is. These first few months are imperative for the bonding necessary for a truly loving relationships between parents and baby regardless of what "Lucidkitty" says. Have your relatives come to you....as they should naturally want to do. Or they need to arrange for you and the baby come to them if need be. Hopefully you will reach out to a mothers group for help in establishing your bond with this baby, or determine why it might be a little too easy to let the baby go away from you at this critical stage in its life. Something isn't passing the smell test here and I'm a little worried for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or