U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM

495 posts, read 591,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I won't watch the video but they showed a clip of it on the news. It must have been embarrassing AND painful. The snow stinging his bare skin. My husband and I were in tears. Dads should be a rock for their sons. Lead by example, not videotaped torture.

And if I hear one more person try to use culture as an excuse. Please. Your culture dictates you act like an animal? I'm sure I'd be called a racist if I said child abuse is just "how those people act".
I don't think anyone is implying the cultural aspects are an excuse, just an explanation for those not familiar with Asia. Believe me, the approach is by no means accepted across the board; many people in China are outraged at this video.
Video of Chinese toddler sobbing in snow sparks outrage over parenting - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:07 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,477,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Although by our standards this is like child abuse/neglect, remember that this family is visiting from China and their schooling & approach to childrearing is more militaristic & competitive. In their country 5 year olds may need to complete timed obstacle courses, sprints & gymnastic tricks to secure spots in top academies. In a country with 1.3 billion, it really is dog eat dog to get a piece of the pie.
Very well said.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:21 PM

2,320 posts, read 4,850,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
I don't think anyone is implying the cultural aspects are an excuse, just an explanation for those not familiar with Asia. Believe me, the approach is by no means accepted across the board; many people in China are outraged at this video.
Video of Chinese toddler sobbing in snow sparks outrage over parenting - CNN.com
I should not have said "your culture" because I haven't heard any Chinese people saying this. Only other races saying 'eh, that's how they are'. Like this is some little nuance we should accept.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:43 PM

5,273 posts, read 6,420,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Although by our standards this is like child abuse/neglect, remember that this family is visiting from China and their schooling & approach to childrearing is more militaristic & competitive. In their country 5 year olds may need to complete timed obstacle courses, sprints & gymnastic tricks to secure spots in top academies. In a country with 1.3 billion, it really is dog eat dog to get a piece of the pie.

YIKES! What next? toddlers in the slalom skiing event half dressed?

Quote:
This is the best. Ran into some Chinese co-workers at lunch and brought the topic up. All of them had seen the vid. They shrugged it off, "no big deal, we have known worse cases
Croc- I'd run from these coworkers!! YIKES! It isn't normal. Sorry.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,983,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't suppose the father would consent to his being stripped to nothing but his underware and tossed out onto the snow to be video taped for viewing on Youtube.
Nope! But to prove he is as tough as his son who wasn't given a choice, he shouldn't be given the choice either. In fact, BURY tha ****er in snow and let him show his son how tough a real man is. How else to keep a cold heart from melting? Then show his son to an actual parent

Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,605,214 times
It's all cultures, all cultures have creepy parents. I'm sure they watch this in China and think we're creepy parents. This isn't China's way........it just reminds us that even creepy people can become parents.

Judge William Adams beats daughter for using the internet - YouTube

Abusive mom on the Dr. Phill Show - YouTube

Let's not forget what other countries see on youtube about our parenting. I bet that teacher feels really bad about giving that kid a blue card.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-12-2012 at 09:08 AM..

Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM

5,974 posts, read 6,432,587 times
I can't watch this last video.
It makes me so angry, this rage just fills inside me every time I see it.
I seriously would like to beat the stupidity out of every parent like this.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,580,523 times
Some people should really just not have/raise kids if they are going to treat them badly.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 AM

295 posts, read 473,177 times
my heart breaks when a person has the gift from god to pro-create and abuses it .

Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM

25,906 posts, read 35,204,377 times
While I think it's appalling to make a small child run around in the cold with no clothes on, the vehemence of some of the these replies are stunning. You'd think the parents were whipping the boy on camera or something. The boy would not suffer any long-term effects from being outside in the cold. I think the biggest potential effect is that the boy grows up thinking that his parents do not care for him or are eternally disappointed in him, but let's face it--that's a potential issue regardless. There are kids with every luxury who feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or