U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:11 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,378,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You don't know what he might have said to her. He might have said "if you scream I'll kill you."

There is a great video and, in some places, a self defense program that goes with it.

The Safe Side - Teach your kids to stay Smart, Cool and Safe

He could have, but im pretty sure the girl would have mentioned that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,959,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What kind of mother lets her seven year old that out of sight....?
A stupid mother.
This is very common in the area where I am, the parents assume the kids are ok, & care a lot more about their damn shopping than watching where the kids are.

I have personally witnessed it quite a few times. And I have also personally helped lost kids that were freaking out, to safely go to the store personnel & track down their stupid parents.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,558,628 times
Quote:
You don't know what he might have said to her. He might have said "if you scream I'll kill you."

There is a great video and, in some places, a self defense program that goes with it.

The Safe Side - Teach your kids to stay Smart, Cool and Safe
I agree, some kids are use to being watched by virtual strangers as well. They need to be taught how to detour. Good for that little girl!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,353,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
What child wouldnt scream? I would think any child over the age of 3 maybe even 2 would scream if some stranger came up and grabbed them, its basic human nature to survive even children have that.
Here is another video with more information including hearing from the girl. It turns out she was taught to kick and scream.
Caught on Tape: 7-Year-Old Girl Fights Off Would-Be Kidnapper | Fox News Insider

This is something that is very important to teach to our children.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM

24,476 posts, read 28,773,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
He could have, but im pretty sure the girl would have mentioned that.
Bottom line, Ohio, is please, please, please teach your daughter to scream and run away. Please do not assume she will just do it.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:46 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,472,599 times
i think kids and parents need to stick closer.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,777,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
A stupid mother.
This is very common in the area where I am, the parents assume the kids are ok, & care a lot more about their damn shopping than watching where the kids are.

I have personally witnessed it quite a few times. And I have also personally helped lost kids that were freaking out, to safely go to the store personnel & track down their stupid parents.
Exactly!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM

24,476 posts, read 28,773,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
A stupid mother.

There is more to it than that, I think. Kids that age want some independence, and it is important to give them a little bit. I'm not saying it is ok to let your child wander the store alone. I do think it is ok to let them go an aisle over to get something, if you know where they are, and they aren't very far away.

Do you let your 7 yo play on the playground while you sit on a bench? I bet they could be a lot farther away than this mom might have been.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:14 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times
Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Watch a kid incessantly and you're accused of being a helicopter parent, let a kid walk into another aisle and you're a "what kind of parent" parent.

Geez.

The child was taught what to do if grabbed by a stranger. Which was exactly the right parenting action.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,959,157 times
Quote:
There is more to it than that, I think. Kids that age want some independence, and it is important to give them a little bit. I'm not saying it is ok to let your child wander the store alone. I do think it is ok to let them go an aisle over to get something, if you know where they are, and they aren't very far away.

Do you let your 7 yo play on the playground while you sit on a bench? I bet they could be a lot farther away than this mom might have been.
No, there isn't more to it than that. How many kids go missing every year? Look it up. There is no excuse for stupidity. I don't care what the kid wants. Either the parents are smart & know where they are at all times or they are inexcusably stupid. I see a lot of stupidity, & I personally detest it.
Every time there's a new missing kid, I wonder if the parents were actually neglectful, by allowing the kids to run off, in the store....with no supervision.

And the comparison doesn't hold water. People shopping are really not paying attention, whereas in a park more than likely the kids are the only thing to pay attention to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or