U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 AM

6,009 posts, read 4,956,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So, nobody lets there kids go play out front with their friends? What about school, kids are taken from school as well? Do you attend school with them? I've even heard of kids taken from their bedrooms while their parents are sleeping, do you sleep with them until 18?.
Letting your kid out of your sight at Wal-Mart and letting them play in the front yard or at school are different things, IMO. For one thing, everyone around you at Wal-Mart is too busy to be a witness (particularly considering what I said earlier about just how likely it is that a kid who's being kidnapped will make a scene). Having more people around does not = more witnesses necessarily. Second, it's understood (or at least logically assumed) that your kids are being watched at school, or maybe there's a fence. SOMETHING to protect them. At the store, there is nothing to prevent them from being kidnapped but you.

I wouldn't let my son play out front near the ROAD, that's for sure. I'd come up boundaries for how far he can go. He gets to play outside, and I get to know that he's close enough to the house where he can just run in if a stranger tries to grab him.

Quote:
You have to teach them defense, not create a person afraid of life.
Paradoxically, the girl who was almost kidnapped in the video is probably more afraid of life now than if the attempt had never been made...

I understand what you're saying. There is a limit to how cautious you should let your child become. And I've more or less defended parents who let their kids out of their sight at the store, so long as the parent knows where he/she is and is fairly close by. But, it's getting more dangerous for kids everyday. That's why parents are getting more cautious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,567,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Letting your kid out of your sight at Wal-Mart and letting them play in the front yard or at school are different things, IMO. For one thing, everyone around you at Wal-Mart is too busy to be a witness (particularly considering what I said earlier about just how likely it is that a kid who's being kidnapped will make a scene). Having more people around does not = more witnesses necessarily. Second, it's understood (or at least logically assumed) that your kids are being watched at school, or maybe there's a fence. SOMETHING to protect them. At the store, there is nothing to prevent them from being kidnapped but you.

I wouldn't let my son play out front near the ROAD, that's for sure. I'd come up boundaries for how far he can go. He gets to play outside, and I get to know that he's close enough to the house where he can just run in if a stranger tries to grab him.

Paradoxically, the girl who was almost kidnapped in the video is probably more afraid of life now than if the attempt had never been made...

I understand what you're saying. There is a limit to how cautious you should let your child become. And I've more or less defended parents who let their kids out of their sight at the store, so long as the parent knows where he/she is and is fairly close by. But, it's getting more dangerous for kids everyday. That's why parents are getting more cautious.
It's ironic to me that parents worried about their child's safety put their kids in a car (kills more kids a year than anything else) to drive them to school so they protect them against abduction (chances your kid will be in this situation is (.00007 %). We hate that their fat but we won't let them run, walk, jump. We also load the parents up with so worry that they can't possibly avoid it. Of course parents don't want to hurt the most important thing to them. It's not reality though, it's hype. It just sells to terrify people. That is the reality today. I can see why it's difficult.

I think the thought of abduction is more horrific is all. It isn't worse today, crime is actually lower and more attention is paid to sex offenders than before which is a good thing. But, the bad thing is, CNN, FOX, MSMBC, LOCAL NEWS, they are all getting ratings by horrific stories. That is the real reason to me that kids now live in a mom bubble. Not that crime has gotten so much worse than when you grew up in the 70's, 80's because that isn't true. But, we did get 1000 cable channels since then. lol We just create more worry for entertainment now, no wonder people freak out.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,643,692 times
Quote:

Actually my big sister was nearly abducted so thats not something you can say as a truth. She is a pretty free individual and is far from afraid of life.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:31 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,643,692 times
Quote:
It's ironic to me that parents worried about their child's safety put their kids in a car (kills more kids a year than anything else) to drive them to school so they protect them against abduction (chances your kid will be in this situation is (.00007 %). We hate that their fat but we won't let them run, walk, jump. We also load the parents up with so worry that they can't possibly avoid it. Of course parents don't want to hurt the most important thing to them. It's not reality though, it's hype. It just sells to terrify people. That is the reality today. I can see why it's difficult.

I think the thought of abduction is more horrific is all. It isn't worse today, crime is actually lower and more attention is paid to sex offenders than before which is a good thing. But, the bad thing is, CNN, FOX, MSMBC, LOCAL NEWS, they are all getting ratings by horrific stories. That is the real reason to me that kids now live in a mom bubble. Not that crime has gotten so much worse than when you grew up in the 70's, 80's because that isn't true. But, we did get 1000 cable channels since then. lol We just create more worry for entertainment now, no wonder people freak out.

Not to mention the fact that you are more likely to be abducted be a family member than a stranger.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM

24,479 posts, read 28,808,759 times
Let's think for a minute. Wasn't Jaycee Duggard 12 when she was grabbed? She was walking by herself, but her step dad was watching. Are we not to allow 12 year olds out of our sight either? Was that her parents fault too?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 AM

914 posts, read 1,539,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Maybe she was in the next aisle.

How about we blame the kidnapper instead of the mom?

Right?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 AM

606 posts, read 765,524 times
Quote:
But, it's getting more dangerous for kids everyday. That's why parents are getting more cautious.
Not true at all. Despite things like more emphasis on teaching kids to disclose abuse (which means that a greater percentage of crime is reported), violent crime is at its lowest rate in 40 years. "In all regions, the country appears to be safer."

If something was reasonably safe when we were kids, it's probably reasonably safe now.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,953,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You can't tell me you've never let a 7 year old wander out of sight in a public place. Not too far but maybe to the next aisle to pick up another pack of pencils, around the display to pick up a box of cereal? We all have done it and I agree, let's blame the perp instead of the Mom. Obviously she had done something good by training her child to scream and resist when being pursued by a stranger.
Yes, I can tell you that.

But yes, the kid did a good job, and I blame the perp and not (totally) the mom.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,953,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
A stupid mother.
This is very common in the area where I am, the parents assume the kids are ok, & care a lot more about their damn shopping than watching where the kids are.

I have personally witnessed it quite a few times. And I have also personally helped lost kids that were freaking out, to safely go to the store personnel & track down their stupid parents.
Same here. Parents need to know where their kids are AT ALL TIMES.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 AM

6,009 posts, read 4,956,186 times
Quote:
But, the bad thing is, CNN, FOX, MSMBC, LOCAL NEWS, they are all getting ratings by horrific stories. That is the real reason to me that kids now live in a mom bubble.
Having not defined this "mom bubble", that's easy to say. Every time a parent goes further in protecting their child than other parents, they're accused of sheltering that child. And every time a parent falls short of the norm on this, they're accused of being neglectful.

Not letting your child out of your sight at the store is not dramatic enough to qualify as sheltering, I submit. And considering it a minor risk is a luxury of those who have never lost a child to kidnapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Not true at all. Despite things like more emphasis on teaching kids to disclose abuse (which means that a greater percentage of crime is reported), violent crime is at its lowest rate in 40 years. "In all regions, the country appears to be safer."

If something was reasonably safe when we were kids, it's probably reasonably safe now.
I'm well aware that violent crime has been declining. But, kidnapping statistics (though not inarguable or up-to-date) would be more relevant to the topic.

"85% to 90% of the 876,213 persons reported missing to America’s law enforcement agencies in 2000 were juveniles (persons under 18 years of age)."

"The number of missing persons reported to law enforcement has increased from 154, 341 in 1982 to 876,213 in 2000. That is an increase of 468%."

Missing Children - Missing Child Statistics

"The increase in missing children since 1988 is 500%."

CHILD KIDNAPPING FACTS - We Protect America's Children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or