Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,788,709 times

Advertisements

Would your child be as brave and smart? We have to be alert all the time.

7-year-old fights off suspected Walmart kidnap - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM

22,253 posts, read 47,182,535 times
What kind of mother lets her seven year old that out of sight....?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,027,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Maybe she was in the next aisle.

How about we blame the kidnapper instead of the mom?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,788,709 times
You can't tell me you've never let a 7 year old wander out of sight in a public place. Not too far but maybe to the next aisle to pick up another pack of pencils, around the display to pick up a box of cereal? We all have done it and I agree, let's blame the perp instead of the Mom. Obviously she had done something good by training her child to scream and resist when being pursued by a stranger.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,048,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
7 year old? Come on, it's not like it was a 4 year old.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,673,869 times
What child wouldnt scream? I would think any child over the age of 3 maybe even 2 would scream if some stranger came up and grabbed them, its basic human nature to survive even children have that.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,995,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
What child wouldnt scream? I would think any child over the age of 3 maybe even 2 would scream if some stranger came up and grabbed them, its basic human nature to survive even children have that.
No. It has to be TAUGHT to them. Many children are inherently trusting. It is very important to teach kids how to yell and kick and scream in these situations.

Little kids can be intimidated by an older person. They see them as an authority figure. Please! As your daughter gets older don't assume her survival instincts will kick in. The "survival instinct" may say "Be nice to this man" and that's the kid these creeps zero in on.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. It has to be TAUGHT to them. Many children are inherently trusting. It is very important to teach kids how to yell and kick and scream in these situations.

Little kids can be intimidated by an older person. They see them as an authority figure. Please! As your daughter gets older don't assume her survival instincts will kick in. The "survival instinct" may say "Be nice to this man" and that's the kid these creeps zero in on.

Im sorry I disagree. The "be nice to this man" part may be true. But as seen in this video I believe if any child is grabbed the way this man grabbed this girl the child will scream and try to get away.

Now the whole "come to me I have candy" thing may work on many many kids but to just be grabbed im sure any child would scream.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,842,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Maybe she was in the next aisle.

How about we blame the kidnapper instead of the mom?
I have to spread it around, but that is exactly what I was thinking.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,027,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Im sorry I disagree. The "be nice to this man" part may be true. But as seen in this video I believe if any child is grabbed the way this man grabbed this girl the child will scream and try to get away.

Now the whole "come to me I have candy" thing may work on many many kids but to just be grabbed im sure any child would scream.
You don't know what he might have said to her. He might have said "if you scream I'll kill you."

There is a great video and, in some places, a self defense program that goes with it.

The Safe Side - Teach your kids to stay Smart, Cool and Safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting