Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Is that "missing" as in run aways and divorced parent abductions as well or just kids taken by strangers? That makes a difference to me on actions you need to take as a parent. Of course I'd be on the look out for an angry ex husband or a depressed youth. We were only talking about complete stranger abductions like the one in the original post. I'd have different advise for other issues.
Says who? A kidnapping is a kidnapping. I should think you'd want to protect your child from all kinds. And even noting the difference between a runaway and a victim of kidnapping, the danger is there when a child runs away. There are still more accounts of children going missing, no matter the cause. So I stand by my saying, It's more dangerous for children today than ever before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Yes. And the mother of this 7 year old knew where her daughter was too. She was out of sight for a minute, but mom knew where she was.
Where do you get that from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM

606 posts, read 944,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Reporting a child has been modernized however since then. Back then you often had to wait time periods in order to report your child whereas now it can be done right away. So how many parents back then who would now report their child weren't able to, but a day or so later the said child turned up were there you think '? I'm not saying don't be cautious but just like molesting of children it only makes up maybe 20 percent of the crimes. It's often without the family that you suffer most opportunity to be abducted from.
Some of the statistics on that second link there are misleading, if not blatantly false. There's a statistic that states that there are 2,000 missing child reports per day, and another stating that 24% of kidnappings are "stranger abductions." Which makes you think that about 500 children per day are snatched off the street or from a store or whatnot by a stranger. That's not true. The number is about 115 per year according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. That's 115 too many! But the risk is incredibly low. Kids literally have a greater chance of dying of strep.

I get the appeal of "parents need to do anything to protect their kids." But it matters that people know the actual risks because it's incredibly important to make sure kids develop competence to be out in the world at an age-appropriate level. I expect that in middle and high school my daughter will be involved in school-related and community things that involve her making some decisions on her own, with only limited supervision. I certainly was. So I consider it part of my job as a parent to start her developing the skills she needs now, in a limited way.

Parents absolutely need to protect their kids from foreseeable risks. But those risks also include them not being able to navigate the world when they're on their own. I went to college, away from home, at 16. If my parents hadn't been willing to let me out of their sight when I was younger (and I was a kid both in a higher-crime era nationally and in a fairly high-crime city for the era, though in a relatively safe area of that city), there's no way I would've been competent to do that.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Same here. Parents need to know where their kids are AT ALL TIMES.
This mom DID know where her daughter was.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Yes. And the mother of this 7 year old knew where her daughter was too. She was out of sight for a minute, but mom knew where she was.
She thought she knew......

Old 02-10-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Obviously not.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
She thought she knew......
Quote:
Obviously not.
No, she did know where she was. She didn't know there was a creep there with her.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
No, she did know where she was. She didn't know there was a creep there with her.
Yeah, whatever. OK.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
I would have taught my children to scream "Get the F**K away from me! I don't know you! and then to preceed to curse him out! Yeah I know it is not PC, but I bet everyone in the store would turn around and look. I would even bet that the man trying to take her would think twice as well!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Yeah, whatever. OK.
I see what she's saying. I read about a teacher's aid who wrote a love-letter to a nine-year-old last week. That happened at school. Every now and then, some kid is molested on a school bus or in youth group or at church. This stuff mostly happens from trusted adults who have ready access to children they know, not random creeps lurking in shopping aisles. When those things happen, the parents probably know where the children are, just not what is happening at the moment.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:50 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll ask YOU then.

Where do you get this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I would have taught my children to scream "Get the F**K away from me! I don't know you! and then to preceed to curse him out! Yeah I know it is not PC, but I bet everyone in the store would turn around and look. I would even bet that the man trying to take her would think twice as well!
Lol, I don't know if many kids would have the courage to do it quite like that in the moment. But yeah, it'd certainly do the trick if they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting