U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM

10,383 posts, read 9,482,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The father issued a statement today:
UPDATE: Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson - Chicago's Best Variety of the 80s, 90s and Now

I have changed my mind 360 degrees after reading through the entire article. It sounds like he made his point and didn't expect it to go out to the world. The best part was how he managed to see the post to start with.

Thanks for posting this, Mattie. It's nice to see "the end of the story." From reading the father's words and the reaction by his daughter, it doesn't look like she'll suffer lifelong trauma. Sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders - for a 15-yr-old - and good old Dad wasn't trying to snoop into daughter's private life. That she offered to let him shoot her phone says she has a pretty good sense of humor, too. They'll be okay. Besides, the dog was the one who spilled the beans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,540,938 times
Quote:
UPDATE: Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson - Chicago's Best Variety of the 80s, 90s and Now

I have changed my mind 360 degrees after reading through the entire article. It sounds like he made his point and didn't expect it to go out to the world. The best part was how he managed to see the post to start with.
This bit came out this early afternoon, and no one else heard/saw it? Certainly explains some of the reactions to this whole situation. Good for dad!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,686,493 times
Quote:

Thanks for posting that link Mattie! That's great! Yes....the dog got her in trouble. Too funny! Yep, like you, I read the entire story. So much for the evil dad of the year award. Sounds to me like she's looking at the "over-reactors" like they're lunatics. Good for her. She understands. They're talking. All is right with the world.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,056,196 times
Item 1. Please keep this thread (and forum) respectful. Rolling eyes, smacking foreheads, and condescending words are taking over the conversations. Don't pick on someone for being older than you, or younger. Please remember to follow the Terms of Service, and remember that sometimes you're just at an impasse.

Item 2. I am now on Team Dad.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,694,763 times
I don't think family issues should be hashed out on FB. Ever. If anything, if my daughter did this, I would have made her retract the posting on FB and apologize on FB for the error in her judgement and for disrespecting her family. This would be her last posting on FB because I would take it over and ban her from it for a very long time. THEN I would have dealt with her issues personally. I'm not going to judge the dad for doing things that was obviously emotionally driven. Teenagers can drive their parents crazy... especially ungrateful, disrespectful, drama queens.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:46 PM

17,868 posts, read 17,107,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Item 1. Please keep this thread (and forum) respectful. Rolling eyes, smacking foreheads, and condescending words are taking over the conversations. Don't pick on someone for being older than you, or younger. Please remember to follow the Terms of Service, and remember that sometimes you're just at an impasse.

Item 2. I am now on Team Dad.
Welcome to team dad!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:05 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,768,973 times
I think the father handled it just fine. Her use of her laptop was an issue and now she doesn't have one to use. I think he made his point quite well. She sounds like an unappreciative little brat who has no concept of how bad she made herself and her family look with her posts on facebook. Hopefully, she'll take something away from this.

As to the suggestions to wipe the drive and donate the laptop, you'd never know if you really got everything off the drive. Every time I upgrade computers, my kids and I have fun taking a sledge hammer to the computer. It's not a waste. It's keeping my information safe.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:15 AM

75 posts, read 241,990 times
I don't know.. I agree with the father's arguments, the girl really needed to be taught a lesson, but shooting her laptop just seems so violent to me. Why didn't he just give it to a child in need, sell it, throw it away, or whatever? Shooting something seems to me like saying "You are next.". Maybe I'm overreacting but I don't think it's a good example to give your kid to solve your problems with guns and violence.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 AM

10,589 posts, read 10,340,831 times
Firing an instrument meant to kill human beings at close range - within a household - is the sign of a lunitic - no wonder the daughter has no respect of a father that is clearly capable of murder when enraged - I hope the authorities cleared his house of all weapons - and put this jerk on a life long ban...from owning a gun - what a nut.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:26 AM

11,407 posts, read 16,038,110 times
Still not on team Dad. Abusers can use all kinds of words to cover their abuse. And yes - emotional abuse is still abuse.

There were all kinds of parenting techniques to handle this situation. I love the idea of wiping the laptop and donating it. How is he teaching her the value of things (like he claims in his follow up) by SHOOTING something? He's not.

If his parenting style involves such violent actions, it's no wonder that his daughter has behavior problems herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or