U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 PM

5,959 posts, read 6,395,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Read the follow up story that Mattie posted.
Yeah at 15, I think that is what I saw her age was, that she is COMPLETELY fine with her laptop having a few rounds shot though it and her phone taken away, I bet she is scared ****less that her phone will suffer the same fate that her laptop did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,681,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Read the follow up story that Mattie posted.
It's pretty clear that some didn't bother to read the entire follow up story....either that, or reading comprehension is not their strongest suit! I love where she says she'll go halfsies on the ammo to shoot her phone...oh LOL

Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Sadly, some people do not understand this concept! Also, some never understand a parents words, "Believe it or not, this is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you!" This guy just spent $120 upgrading a laptop that he'd already purchased. He did it because he was thinking of his daughter....of her wants and needs. He then discovered (thanks to Fido), that his daughter was online, bashing him. For one, imagine the PAIN he felt, the betrayal, the anger and disappointment that he felt for having raised a child who would be so ungrateful and disrespectful. Oh yeah, do I even know where this guy was coming from.

Again, sometimes having that, "Do unto others and you'd have others to unto you"....done back to you, is exactly what it takes to hit a point home with some folks. Some? .....meh, they'll always play that victim card. "Yeah, but YOU should KNOW better! You're the adult here. I'm just a kid who made a mistake, but YOU'RE a parent who should show more self control!" I say he showed her what it felt like to be publicly humiliated and called out. She got on line, over exaggerated (playing the poor little slave WHO HAS A HOUSEKEEPER!!), talking crap about her father and mother. She humiliated his family AND blatantly disobeyed his rules as well. Seems as if it worked out darn good, all the way around. Some parents don't have what it takes to show their kids how their actions make them feel....by making them wear their shoes for a day. I think that's exactly what he did. "Look, this is how we felt when we found this message...a message that you put out there for the world to see. Now....how does it feel to have it done to you?" AND.....technically, it was HIS laptop that he destroyed, not hers!
Exactly.

He had every right to destroy the lap top and maybe the ingrate will learn a less about gratitude.

Obviously she is a spoiled brat who has no appreciation at all for everything her parents were giving her, and once his eyes were opened to that fact, he now has the opportunity to teach her.

I only hope for the brat's sake that he follows through, makes her buy her next laptop herself after she gets a job since she showed such disgusting lack of gratefulness for being given one.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM

10,357 posts, read 9,468,929 times
Quote:
It's pretty clear that some didn't bother to read the entire follow up story....either that, or reading comprehension is not their strongest suit! I love where she says she'll go halfsies on the ammo to shoot her phone...oh LOL

I thought that was funny, too. Clearly, she was angry in the beginning but the dad did state that, "once the initial anger passed," she was the one who suggested shooting her phone.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly.

He had every right to destroy the lap top and maybe the ingrate will learn a less about gratitude.

Obviously she is a spoiled brat who has no appreciation at all for everything her parents were giving her, and once his eyes were opened to that fact, he now has the opportunity to teach her.

I only hope for the brat's sake that he follows through, makes her buy her next laptop herself after she gets a job since she showed such disgusting lack of gratefulness for being given one.
Yeah... well, he stuck to his guns (hehe ) this time. Hopefully, he'll stick to them and make her purchase her own next time. You'd have to be pretty ignorant to miss that lesson, wouldn't you? Some kids have such flexible boundaries you know...and it doesn't teach them a single thing. No, kids DON'T have the right to bash their parents and tell lies about them in a public forum. Well, I suppose they DO have that right/choice. However, they also need to understand that their are consequences for their actions.

Oh....and frankly, if my child was under the age of 18 and blocked me from their FB, I would immediately block their access to MY computer, until I was unblocked. Most likely, they'd also lose their phone too.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I thought that was funny, too. Clearly, she was angry in the beginning but the dad did state that, "once the initial anger passed," she was the one who suggested shooting her phone.
Yeah, that was great, wasn't it HOM? Deep down, I'm a real softy and I love conflict resolution...it had me saying (in a mushy mommy voice) "Awwwwe that's so cool!!" LOL The gal's thinking, "Hey! I could get a jump start on that college fund!!" Too funny! Clearly, she ended up understanding just why he did what he did. It's HARD being a "good" parent and sticking to your principles! You are not always going to win the popularity contest with your kids, but that doesn't mean that you're not doing the RIGHT thing.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:35 PM

10,357 posts, read 9,468,929 times
Quote:
You are not always going to win the popularity contest with your kids, but that doesn't mean that you're not doing the RIGHT thing.
That's a statement that every parent can attest to as the truth.

I don't think the dad had any idea his video would go viral, though. It's just a shame he isn't getting paid for every hit it receives. That alone would probably pay for a semester of his daughter's schooling.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:00 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,809,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yeah at 15, I think that is what I saw her age was, that she is COMPLETELY fine with her laptop having a few rounds shot though it and her phone taken away, I bet she is scared ****less that her phone will suffer the same fate that her laptop did.
Here's a new word for you to learn:

con·se·quence

   /ˈkɒnsɪˌkwɛns, -kwəns [kon-si-kwens, -kwuhns]

noun

1. the effect, result, or outcome of something occurring earlier.

2. an act or instance of following something as an effect, result, or outcome.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:13 PM

5,959 posts, read 6,395,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
No, extreme punishment is poor parenting.

I have raised 1 teenager and have another one who is 14 in the FB age. They have pulled stunts on FB that broke the rules and pissed me off, but the punishment was clear, reflective of the offense, and non-violent.

The laptop goes away for a proscribed period of time (locked in the car trunk) and there is a sit-down discussion about what is appropriate online behaviour and WHY--beyond just the fact that feelings were hurt. The consequences of posting trash online is that anyone can see it--employers, friends' parents, respected relatives, etc. That is the WHY behind the rules.

This guy seemed to be reacting from an emotional place where felt he had lost control and power over his daughter, and needed to "save face" by making an extreme public gesture. It was reactionary and childish.

Kids vent and curse about their parents to their friends. That is not a punishable offense in my book. And there is no need for a parent to take it personally.

That is the WORST idea ever, heat and cold can damage it, you need to find a less detrimental place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

con·se·quence

noun

Her consequence was not natural, it was chosen, that particular one did not need to be chosen.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

con·se·quence

noun

Synonyms
1.outcome, issue, upshot, sequel. See effect. 4. moment, weight. See importance.

Antonyms
1. cause.

What was the outcome of her actions? Daddy grounded her and destroyed her laptop.

What caused the anger of her father and the subsequent destruction of her laptop, as well as earning her the position of "grounded"? Her choosing to blatantly disobey her parents and talk sh*t about them.

Either way....her behavior caused it. Her father's actions were a direct result of HER actions. Consequences. Everybody has 'em. Most prefer the good ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or