Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 10:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,221,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There are plenty of places in the US where this action would have been illegal.
You are wrong. There are very few places where a person can't own and use a firearm. Only thugs use firearms in city limits, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,954,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I don't think shooting the laptop was a waste. It hit his daughter where she lives. Point made. Done.
It is a waste.
Laptops are expensive.
He could have sold the laptop and made the money back, shooting a perfectly good piece of equipment is stupid. There are people out there who would have loved a cheap laptop if he sold it.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,757,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
It is a waste.
Laptops are expensive.
He could have sold the laptop and made the money back, shooting a perfectly good piece of equipment is stupid. There are people out there who would have loved a cheap laptop if he sold it.
yeah it was a bit overreacting but maybe he loves her more than losing money for the laptop. IMHO, Making his point and his daughter seem to have meant more to him than an object or saving money over an object as opposed to trying reach his daughter who is obviously spoiled.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 02-11-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,064,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am assuming you are not a native Southerner? The dad lives only a matter of miles from me . . . and I can assure you, his way of handling this matter, including using a firearm, is neither lunatic nor illegal, and it occurred on his own property. He is a strong father figure, something many men don't seem to know how to be these days.
It's not just Southern. I'm not Southern and my family isn't Southern. But I immediately understood what this man was doing and where he was coming from. I know many men like him.

I was thinking of you last night, ani, when this crossed my mind: This is a man who is going to cry like a baby when his daughter gets married and they have the father-daughter dance. He loves his daughter deeply and did what he thought was right to get her back on course. One of his worst fears is turning a thoughtless, rude, selfish daughter loose on society.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,954,319 times
It's still over board.
Not only did he pop a few rounds through a laptop, that he could have sold and made money off of it, he said that she'll be paying him for the rounds he used....
Excuse me? But if someone did that to me, I would NOT be paying them back for the ammunition they used to make a rash and overboard decision.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,698,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's not just Southern. I'm not Southern and my family isn't Southern. But I immediately understood what this man was doing and where he was coming from. I know many men like him.

I was thinking of you last night, ani, when this crossed my mind: This is a man who is going to cry like a baby when his daughter gets married and they have the father-daughter dance. He loves his daughter deeply and did what he thought was right to get her back on course. One of his worst fears is turning a thoughtless, rude, selfish daughter loose on society.
Sadly, some people do not understand this concept! Also, some never understand a parents words, "Believe it or not, this is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you!" This guy just spent $120 upgrading a laptop that he'd already purchased. He did it because he was thinking of his daughter....of her wants and needs. He then discovered (thanks to Fido), that his daughter was online, bashing him. For one, imagine the PAIN he felt, the betrayal, the anger and disappointment that he felt for having raised a child who would be so ungrateful and disrespectful. Oh yeah, do I ever know where this guy was coming from.

Again, sometimes having that, "Do unto others as you'd have others to unto you"....done back to you, is exactly what it takes to hit a point home with some folks. Some? .....meh, they'll always play that victim card. "Yeah, but YOU should KNOW better! You're the adult here. I'm just a kid who made a mistake, but YOU'RE a parent who should show more self control!" I say he showed her what it felt like to be publicly humiliated and called out. She got on line, over exaggerated (playing the poor little slave WHO HAS A HOUSEKEEPER!!), talking crap about her father and mother. She humiliated his family AND blatantly disobeyed his rules as well. Seems as if it worked out darn good, all the way around. Some parents don't have what it takes to show their kids how their actions make them feel....by making them wear their shoes for a day. I think that's exactly what he did. "Look, this is how we felt when we found this message...a message that you put out there for the world to see. Now....how does it feel to have it done to you?" AND.....technically, it was HIS laptop that he destroyed, not hers!

Last edited by beachmel; 02-11-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 02-11-2012, 10:57 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,236,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

If they are still talking at that point.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,236,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Sadly, some people do not understand this concept! Also, some never understand a parents words, "Believe it or not, this is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you!" This guy just spent $120 upgrading a laptop that he'd already purchased. He did it because he was thinking of his daughter....of her wants and needs. He then discovered (thanks to Fido), that his daughter was online, bashing him. For one, imagine the PAIN he felt, the betrayal, the anger and disappointment that he felt for having raised a child who would be so ungrateful and disrespectful. Oh yeah, do I even know where this guy was coming from.
Or he was thinking about himself because he also uses said laptop

Old 02-11-2012, 10:59 AM

19,158 posts, read 16,557,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
No you saw her fathers interpretation of his daughters reaction not hers. And perhaps that's really the reason he does not want to go on tv with her, because she will not tell the tale he is spinning right now.

I read the article and what dad said about the situation. I accept that and won't speculate anything other than what I read. Just pleased to know dad and daughter are both doing fine.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,064,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
If they are still talking at that point.
Read the follow up story that Mattie posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting