Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Do you think it should be all restricted to the point of parental consent, or should teens be allowed complete free access?
If the teens want to get free access, have at it. However, not at taxpayer expense. Sex is a personal decision so it is not for the taxpayer to support their actions with providing free contraception. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 01:48 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,646 times
Quote:
Do you think it should be all restricted to the point of parental consent, or should teens be allowed complete free access?
I think that any way it can be delivered should be allowed..

For i.e. when BC became available in schools some parents were in an uproar! Most being religious zealots..stating that abstinence should be taught instead..

Okay I get this..abstinence should be taught but BC and being SAFE should be taught as well because as we all know not all teens are cookie cutter and receptive to saving themselves till marriage..

This is not a blow to parenting but we all were young once and as teens we think we know it all and we are invincible..
So to me? I would feel comfortable that my son is getting sex ed in school. I have already had the talk with him ( He is 14 almost 15) and to me giving alternatives to abstinence is better than nothing..therefore making him aware of what could happen, not only pregnancy but std's!!!!
For some children this is not an option, they have parents that do not have the talk, state in earnest the risks and so forth...and for them to have options means we have lower birth rates and lower std risks..

Knowledge is power..

Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
If the teens want to get free access, have at it. However, not at taxpayer expense. Sex is a personal decision so it is not for the taxpayer to support their actions with providing free contraception. Take care.
lol..In perfect world dear.

let me pose a simple scenario..
Getting/obtaining BC..at a clinic that is county run...free..
BC consists of pills (60.00) a pack per month
the shot 200.00 every 6 months
'condoms 8.00 a pack..

yes the price is costly..and taxpayers like myself see this..it is a reality.

yet to have a child...
webmd states the following..
to have prenatal care...meaning finding you are pregnant, tests, visits, pills? 2000.00 out of pocket for 9 months

This excludes cost of buying everything to get ready for baby..

the actual cost of having a baby? 15,000.00

Raising one child? According to time mag...is
Raising a Child Costs Some $221,000, Before College

[LEFT]so ummm yeah...
some may cry about the taxes it costs to provide BC? LMAO!

Now tell me which of two evils you would rather have?
[/LEFT]

Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
I don't think teens should have access to birth control period.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
You already do pay for it lol. And actually you pay more for it because you pay higher amounts supporting the product of the sex.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
How draconian of you

Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Why? Why not elaborate?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
In an insurance-based situation, the child cannot do anything without consent because he or she is not the guarantor or policyholder. I don't see that changing. If the parent protests, the doctor's office won't get paid and they know it.

In a cash-based situation, where the kid is paying for contraceptives, what happens currently? I went to Planned Patenthood when I was 16. I don't know what the age restrictions are for a clinic like that. Is there something stopping a 14-year-old from getting the pill, a pap smear, and an STD test?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
In an insurance-based situation, the child cannot do anything without consent because he or she is not the guarantor or policyholder. I don't see that changing. If the parent protests, the doctor's office won't get paid and they know it.

In a cash-based situation, where the kid is paying for contraceptives, what happens currently? I went to Planned Patenthood when I was 16. I don't know what the age restrictions are for a clinic like that. Is there something stopping a 14-year-old from getting the pill, a pap smear, and an STD test?
in about 24 states its complete access, another 11 a doctor can inform the parents if he feels like it, and in the rest you can;t get it unless you already have a child as a teen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting