U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,995,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
in about 24 states its complete access, another 11 a doctor can inform the parents if he feels like it, and in the rest you can;t get it unless you already have a child as a teen.
Okay. So what is being debated? Adding more clinics for cash-based access? Loosening the restrictions in the remaining states?

With the new healthcare laws, formerly uninsured teens will have access to funded care. I don't know what the restrictions will be for allowing minors access to birth control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:49 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,796,877 times
Here is some great information on teens and reproductive health:

Facts on American Teens' Sexual and Reproductive Health

I found the following points most interesting:

Quote:
•No state explicitly requires parental consent or notification for contraceptive services. However, two states (Texas and Utah) require parental consent for contraceptive services paid for with state funds.

•Twenty-one states and the District of Columbia explicitly allow minors to obtain contraceptive services without a parent’s involvement. Another 25 states have affirmed that right for certain classes of minors, while four states have no law. In the absence of a specific law, courts have determined that minors’ privacy rights include the right to obtain contraceptive services.

•In 2002, some 90% of publicly funded family planning clinics counseled clients younger than 18 about abstinence, the importance of communicating with parents about sex or both topics.

•Nearly two million women younger than 20 were served by publicly supported family planning centers in 2005; these teens represented one-quarter of the centers’ contraceptive clients.

•In 2006, only 5% of American high schools made condoms available to students.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,761,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Why? Why not elaborate?
It promotes promiscuity. Actually, I don't think anybody should use contraception, but that's another issue.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,621,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It promotes promiscuity. Actually, I don't think anybody should use contraception, but that's another issue.
You are kidding right, people are going to have sex whether you offer contraception or not. That belief just ensures you will have many many more teen mothers around is all.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,383,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It does not.
It's for people who ARE sexually active.

And that's scary dude....its people who think like this that are going to getour rights taken away from us.
My state tried to ban birth control, which didn't over too well.

It doesn't matter what you believe, no one has the right to control what another person does with their own body, which is why I refuse to vote republican.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,757,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
lol..In perfect world dear.

let me pose a simple scenario..
Getting/obtaining BC..at a clinic that is county run...free..
BC consists of pills (60.00) a pack per month
the shot 200.00 every 6 months
'condoms 8.00 a pack..

yes the price is costly..and taxpayers like myself see this..it is a reality.

yet to have a child...
webmd states the following..
to have prenatal care...meaning finding you are pregnant, tests, visits, pills? 2000.00 out of pocket for 9 months

This excludes cost of buying everything to get ready for baby..

the actual cost of having a baby? 15,000.00

Raising one child? According to time mag...is
Raising a Child Costs Some $221,000, Before College

[LEFT]so ummm yeah...
some may cry about the taxes it costs to provide BC? LMAO!

Now tell me which of two evils you would rather have?
[/LEFT]
Don't confuse a perfect world with something that is called fairness. Our nation was founded on the principle that to take away to give to others is simply robbing you of the fruit of your labor. Now, the Constitution was written to in such a way that the federal government is enumerated some responsibilities. Birth control is not one of them. The states may do that if they want to. If you believe in being Big Brother and using the government to control people and baby sitting them at the expense of the taxpayer money and the state approves it, more power to you. I simply do not agree with I and other taxpayer paying for personal choices.
However, if you want the government to meddle in this issue, I suggest this. Is the individual is a minor, why not force the parents to pay special taxes for birth control access for teens once their child reaches puberty? Also, if a teen wants access to birht control items, why not make them do community service to earn it, not just free? I venture to guess that parents mandated to pay for birth control taxes and teens mandated to earn birth control help would think a little harder on how to avoid pregnancies. It would also help if once a teen gets pregnant, she and the father are mandated to do community service to pay back the services the taxpayer is providing.
You seem to espouse privileges without responsibilities. If say that if I am going to pay for privileges then I do not see anything wrong with expecting responsibilites that will also help see consequences for decision. Take care.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:44 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,621,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Don't confuse a perfect world with something that is called fairness. Our nation was founded on the principle that to take away to give to others is simply robbing you of the fruit of your labor. Now, the Constitution was written to in such a way that the federal government is enumerated some responsibilities. Birth control is not one of them. The states may do that if they want to. If you believe in being Big Brother and using the government to control people and baby sitting them at the expense of the taxpayer money and the state approves it, more power to you. I simply do not agree with I and other taxpayer paying for personal choices.
However, if you want the government to meddle in this issue, I suggest this. Is the individual is a minor, why not force the parents to pay special taxes for birth control access for teens once their child reaches puberty? Also, if a teen wants access to birht control items, why not make them do community service to earn it, not just free? I venture to guess that parents mandated to pay for birth control taxes and teens mandated to earn birth control help would think a little harder on how to avoid pregnancies. It would also help if once a teen gets pregnant, she and the father are mandated to do community service to pay back the services the taxpayer is providing.
You seem to espouse privileges without responsibilities. If say that if I am going to pay for privileges then I do not see anything wrong with expecting responsibilites that will also help see consequences for decision. Take care.
The constitution was written over 200 years ago when birth control did not exist .

Old 02-13-2012, 06:38 AM

24,472 posts, read 28,750,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I don't see any reason to separate birth control from any other type of health care. It comes down to what the government's place in health care is. There are 2 separate issues - ACCESS (can a teen get BC pills w/o parental consent), and COST (who pays for it). Giving teens access doesn't mean the pills would be free.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
The constitution was written over 200 years ago when birth control did not exist .
Don't hit yourself on the head so much, it blurs the mental afficiency.

The Constitution was written over 200 years ago but certain principle apply today as they applied before. Because birth control did not exist then it does not negate the principle of the tenth ammendment i.e. whatever was not enumerated for the federal government belongs to the states. So what part is complicated for you? The states are the ones with such responsibilies and that makes sense because out there they are closer to the communities and they decide as a community what they think is best for them. Be easy on your head, please. Take care.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't see any reason to separate birth control from any other type of health care.
Well, I see it. Birth control has to do with a personal choice of having sex or not. Now, if you talk about health care regarding treatment for cancer, I can see that but to have sex or not?
It comes down to what the government's place in health care is. There are 2 separate issues - ACCESS (can a teen get BC pills w/o parental consent), and COST (who pays for it). Giving teens access doesn't mean the pills would be free.
If you think the federal government should meddle in things like birth control due to personal choices, OK, let us go that way. Why not the federal government mandate then that anytime a child want to have access for birth control it sends a bill to the parents for what was provided to them, not the taxpayer being the one paying for it? Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or